A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo problems on cold morning

Old 01-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo problems on cold morning

Thanks for looking,

Went out to the garage yesterday morning on an usually cold day for our area (approximately 2 degrees out) and when I started the car the stereo starting making odd screeching sounds. I immediately shut off the stereo, however I continued to hear odd sounds for the drive in. This included popping/static/screeching and would come and go despite the stereo being off the entire time.

Later in the day the temperatures rose to approximately 25 degrees at which point the stereo worked fine. Is this normal? I'm assuming it was the factory amplifier acting up but haven't experienced this before, even in my other vehicles at the same temperature.

Matt
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

sounds normal. I too make a few sounds when its cold out
Old 01-23-2014, 08:55 AM
tjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to do a search this forum and quattroworld. I remember a long time (couple of years) ago somebody had this issue, but I don't remember the resolution.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, I've attempted to search the forum for any related threads and so far have been unsuccessful.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default me too....

Originally Posted by SeacoastA8
Thanks for looking,

Went out to the garage yesterday morning on an usually cold day for our area (approximately 2 degrees out) and when I started the car the stereo starting making odd screeching sounds. I immediately shut off the stereo, however I continued to hear odd sounds for the drive in. This included popping/static/screeching and would come and go despite the stereo being off the entire time.

Later in the day the temperatures rose to approximately 25 degrees at which point the stereo worked fine. Is this normal? I'm assuming it was the factory amplifier acting up but haven't experienced this before, even in my other vehicles at the same temperature.

Matt
When it got to 3 degrees F here a few weeks ago I had the same experience with my 2004 Bose system. Very erie as the screechung circled around the Suround system. Shutting off the system kept thing quiet in my car though. And when it got warmer that day everything was fine and it has not happened again even with the current cold snap.

So I am not concerned about it.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for looking,

Matt

1st thing I would try under those circumstances would be to do the MMI reset. Then a VCDS scan as a followup measure for peace of mind.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a feeling that it's fairly normal, and that phenomenon is originating in the amplifier. Things like mosfets, transistors, and capacitors all behave differently in the cold. Especially if there are electrolytic capacitors, the electrolyte could freeze, altering the behavior. In my old ford, the gauges would sweep all the way back and forth continuously until it got above 25 degrees inside. It seems electronics don't like the very cold.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was just about to create a new post when I say this one. My speakers don't work at all until it warms up to at least 10 degrees out. It's getting annoying. At least I can hear the roar of the W12 better.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It was zero out this morning headed to work and once again the stereo was completely silent minus the occasional hissing/popping sound. At lunchtime it was 10 degrees and it works fine. Still seems so strange to have this issue with the Audi. Our other cars (with amplifiers) are all working perfectly.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still seems so strange to have this issue with the Audi. Our other cars (with amplifiers) are all working perfectly.
I suspect temperature induced changes in the fibre optic connections may also be causing (or adding to) all these reports lately.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo problems on cold morning