A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A4 2004 USP 1.8T, Many, Many Electrical Issues. Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I ended up with two because it wasn't a faulty CM but something in the harness. Contact me offline if you are interested in the spare CM.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrari328
I ended up with two because it wasn't a faulty CM but something in the harness. Contact me offline if you are interested in the spare CM.
I will if it's not the harness. I am curious, did your issue happen randomly or did u do something to provoke it? Was your harness issue the same basic damaged wires shorting out or was it something else.
Thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The sunroof and windows only worked on sunny days after noon. Really. it wasn't damaged wires but I suspect a flaky ground. As I said, it went away after tracing a battery drain by disconnecting wires at the CM.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It sounds like either a short in the door harness as already suggested or the Anti Theft/locking/window control box is on the fritz. That's what I call it anyway. Someone mentioned the CCM - same thing. In my '00 A8, it houses the power lock pump and the controller board for the central locking, power window and sunroof functions. When you turn your key in the driver's door to lock the car and hold it there, this box closes all the open windows and sunroof.

A used box for your 2004 A4 can be had for $45 from Carguts in Blacksburg, South Carolina 1-866-839-2708. I found them by searching on www.car-part.com search your make, model, year, engine, Dropdown menu "Computer Box Not Engine", then "Theft/Locking"

That box may have gotten wet causing all kinds of internal shorts or the power lock pump - a little graphite impeller comprised of 3 graphite blades in a graphite housing - finally disintegrated, spewing graphite dust on top of your circuit board causing all sorts of short circuits and random bad behavior. When mine went, it looked like a box of pencils had an orgy in there.

Unplug old box. Plug in new one. You might might might have to pair the new box to the car using VAG COM. Pair your remotes to the new box. Either that or just suck it up and have the dealer code it for you. Hell you might get luck and clean out/dry out your original one and it will work again. I generally don't have that kind of luck though.

Not sure what radio you have. I know old Symphony IIs can develop current draws and get wonky in old age. Someone on the D2 A8 (quattroworld?)board just had the same problem...mysterious current draw - turned out to be the radio. You can check for milliamps of draw at the battery if you have a decent multimeter, then pull the radio fuse and see if it drops down dramatically.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 03-27-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay, I finally found a nice pic of exact location of module -- thx Google pictures for making feel like an incompetent fool trying to search on every Audi forum.

...so I found the CCModule on top of a lot of water. How did that happen? Is it normal for water to down there -- I know that is a dumb question, but the module inside case was actually dry, wiring harness going into it though was wet.

Does anyone know how so much water got in there? ...actually how any water got in there. BTW, my CCM is located in front of drivers seat to the right, up against the door trim.

I still have no clue what is broke, whether its the CCM or the harness. ...time is hard to come by these days too.

Any thoughts on how to maximize time and minimize throwing money away? ...don't want to replace CCM or harness and still have same issue. Granted it has to be one or the other.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you actually unplug the connectors on the ccm and check for water corrosion? Also I would open it up by sliding the outer plastic casing off and checking inside it. It's more likely to be the module than the loom.
There are 2 possible causes for the water getting in there. One is the aircon drain tube becoming displaced and not directing the water out of the vehicle. It's behind the carpet in the tunnel area.
The other is rainwater filling up into the plenum chamber (the area where the battery sits) because of blocked drain tubes.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thx for this info. I did not check terminals for electrolysis or corrosion.
You stated the aircon drain tube is behind carpet in tunnel area -- where is tunnel area, near the gas/brake pedal? Is that the drain coming out of door jam next to wiring going into door? Is there a way to test this?

Regarding plenum chamber, I did recently replace battery and there was a tube that used to be connected to my old battery -- I'm not sure what it was for, I thought maybe a drain of some sort -- anyway my new battery did not have this port, so I left this tube floating. Does that have anything to do with this water I see?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Originally Posted by gsjohal
Did you actually unplug the connectors on the ccm and check for water corrosion? Also I would open it up by sliding the outer plastic casing off and checking inside it. It's more likely to be the module than the loom.
There are 2 possible causes for the water getting in there. One is the aircon drain tube becoming displaced and not directing the water out of the vehicle. It's behind the carpet in the tunnel area.
The other is rainwater filling up into the plenum chamber (the area where the battery sits) because of blocked drain tubes.

Last edited by JoeGrigo; 04-04-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure where the drain for the A/C is but, assume it is above the pedal. The drain in the door jamb comes from the sun roof.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ghlight=drains

Finally, I am about 90% sure the battery drain goes straight out of the cowl area.

So I believe that leaks that drain into the CCM are usually due to the sunroof drain being clogged which forces the water to run down the A pillar and into the CCM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is the cabin fresh air intake on your car? I believe it is under hood in the center of the cowl area closest to the windshield. That's where is it on my D2 A8. 8 years ago, during a torrential downpour, this area flooded with water - the drains in the cowl area were blocked - the cowl filled up and wiped out my ECU & TCU, fried some coils and my fuel pump, but it also filled up high enough for water to pour into the cabin fresh air intake and actually get inside the ductwork in the cabin. These pieces are just pushed together - not watertight - so water ended up in the footwells and also poured out on top of the radio causing the radio fuse to blow - killing K-line communications btw. What I'm suggesting is your radio may also have been damaged by water exposure.

There are drains to prevent OUTSIDE water from getting in - four in the cowl of an A8 - assuming a similar setup in the A4, and sunroof drains. Locate all of them and make certain they are clear. Your battery drain tube is just there to vent a conventional battery and assure no battery acid damage to the battery tray- it is not related to your issue.

There are also drains to deal with INSIDE moisture - water vapor from your breath that is condensed into water droplets by the air conditioning system. This inside air passes over a chilled evaporator coil - a cold radiator - that turns water vapor in the muggy moist air into droplets which collect in a small pan and then exit the cabin via a condensate hose(s). When these drains clog or disconnect, you'll get a splash of water on the floor when you make, say, a hard left turn. Funky smelling, a little gross and likely unhealthy, this small volume of water is a nuisance, but not likely devastating to your car's electronics.

Bottom line When you get LOTS of seemingly unrelated electronic gremlins, water intrusion should be on the top of your checklist.

Last edited by BrianC72gt; 04-02-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Fresh air cabin intake is on the passenger side under the cowl. Don't think that is the source of this issue.

Also, yes there are drains in the cowl area, one of which causes a similar ECU issue. But, based on the symptoms, it isn't the ECU. That gives some other issues, but that area should be vacuumed / blown out often as well.

Quick Reply: A4 2004 USP 1.8T, Many, Many Electrical Issues. Please Help