A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

A4 2004 USP 1.8T, Many, Many Electrical Issues. Please Help

Old 03-18-2014, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 2004 USP 1.8T, Many, Many Electrical Issues. Please Help

I did many searches and even when I found others with these issues, they seemed to go unresolved or some had broken wires. I am not convinced all my issues are related either. I checked all the fuses, and these issues run across many fused circuits. I discharged any parasitic capacitances (disconnect battery and short cables together) as another thread stated this could maybe do the trick (reset registers forcing a re-read of memory for correct configuration data, etc.

ISSUES:
1- Radio started out as staying ON when I turned the car off. Previously it would turn OFF with the car (months ago) turning off.
1a - Radio started to turn off automatically if turned on by someone. If off, then it would not automatically turn on. However, if it automatically turned off(after someone turned it on) it would come back on automatically. This has drained my battery since sometimes it may automatically turn back on after car is off and at first we did not know what was going on.
2 - Sunroof was possessed for a while but worked. Then after one of my battery drain issues, it stopped working completely.
3 - All power windows stopped working and same with trunk release. This is on the remote or the button on the car (button on front door or on trunk). None of the windows will function at all. These worked fine while the radio issue was going on initially. My wife went to east coast for two weeks, car was dead (assumed it was the radio draining it due to some type of radio drain issue), after I recharged the battery, the windows and trunk did not work as well as the sunroof.

The remote works fine otherwise, and all the door functions work fine too. Even the window lock-out still lights up when pressed. The mirror control works fine, etc. I did notice there is excessive drain on battery when turned off -- 250mA up to 750mA, but again not sure if this is all related. That could just be related to one of the many faulty circuits. ...common for people to get confused trying to find a single fault for a multi-fault problem.

The car does have an aftermarket Viper remote start and its had this since 2004. We have stopped using it 6years ago because we broke that remote -- have not had a problem that we know of with that device (would not know if this was causing something though).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-19-2014, 04:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

All but your sunroof are probably related. The harness that goes through the driver's door jamb has a common issue of fraying and shorting causing all sorts of weird issues. I had 1) speakers that wouldn't work, 2) side mirror that wouldn't adjust and ultimately had the defrost mirror go full on and "melt" the mirrored coating, and 3) intermittent window issues. I would check that first. See below for a link.

Sunroof is a different issue.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=harness
Old 03-19-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
All but your sunroof are probably related. The harness that goes through the driver's door jamb has a common issue of fraying and shorting causing all sorts of weird issues. I had 1) speakers that wouldn't work, 2) side mirror that wouldn't adjust and ultimately had the defrost mirror go full on and "melt" the mirrored coating, and 3) intermittent window issues. I would check that first. See below for a link.

Sunroof is a different issue.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...hlight=harness
Thanks -- I wish I had time like I used to. Most likely I will just sell it.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If that is your issue, it doesn't take long to replace. I did it in about 2 hours. You would spend way more time selling and buying another car.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Is your car a flood damaged vehicle?
Old 03-21-2014, 05:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No flood damage, no accidents at all. I do however live by the Pacific Ocean. For two years, I basically lived on the ocean. ...never would have thought the salty air would destroy electronics like it does.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sound like the comfort module to me or the wiring around it. I had similar symptoms that went away after the wiring around the comfort module was messed with tracing a battery drain issue. I also as a result have a spare comfort module for exactly the same car as you have.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Ferrari328
Sound like the comfort module to me or the wiring around it. I had similar symptoms that went away after the wiring around the comfort module was messed with tracing a battery drain issue. I also as a result have a spare comfort module for exactly the same car as you have.
Sorry for all the question below, but how did you end up with two if you broke your original? I assume the spare works perfectly? Do you think some type of transient caused this while doing the battery drain tests? I did end up buying another car and was entertaining the idea of fixing this myself. How much are those modules and how much would you want for your spare?
Old 03-24-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would check the door harness first. I don't believe there is relationship between the radio and the CCM...
Old 03-25-2014, 02:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I would check the door harness first. I don't believe there is relationship between the radio and the CCM...
The radio issue was occurring prior to windows/trunk. Windows n trunk probably related. I was going to inspect harness first regardless.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 2004 USP 1.8T, Many, Many Electrical Issues. Please Help