Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LASQ5
The track on the show n go does not need to be installed level. It can be at an angle. There was just enough room for me to slide it in with zero protrusion from the grill. I have seen people successfully mount the plate and track under the vehicle, but I decided not to go that route, because I read a lot of comments from people who had done it that way, only to have the whole thing torn off when they pulled into into a steep driveway or something similar.
Yea that would be a worry, and mine is 30mm lower as well. I've scrapped the front once or twice so it might have been damaged...
Will have to see if I can pluck up the courage to take the middle columns out!
Old 01-26-2014, 09:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the show n go install looks awesome. i've gotten tagged twice in santa monica in 3 weeks for no front plate, and i'm tired of giving the city $25 each time. i was looking into this option. it'd be incredible if there was a way to wire the show n go so that the front plate deploys when the car is turned off. i would hate to have to remember to put the plate up each time i'm parked. =/
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Subwoofer and amp:

They fit perfectly in the cargo area under the trunk floor. It takes up zero trunk space and is entirely hidden. The battery is right there, so it was easy to get power. I got the 12v remote from the Aux power outlet in the trunk. I didn't connect any RCAs to the head unit... This amp accepts speaker level inputs (thru the RCAs) so I just spliced it into the speaker wires for the sub (that are right there) and plugged it in. I also left the original sub connected. Total set up time: 1 hour.
i think i am clear on this, just confirming - when you put the carpeted trunk floor piece back down over top of the spare and amp/sub, it fits snug just like before you installed the amp/sub, yes? and one other Q: what bolt did you ground to, or did you ground straight to the battery? i have read conflicting info on whether or not it's ok to ground at the battery.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name:  Audi2_zpsd738844e.jpg
Views: 1994
Size:  87.3 KB

This is another option, for states or people who do not want that nasty OEM plate holder, but need the plate, and dont care to hide it...

Just saying
Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hrp783

This is another option, for states or people who do not want that nasty OEM plate holder, but need the plate, and dont care to hide it...

Just saying
It is an option just not on the SQ5.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by scrmorling
Bloody clever.
Precisely! I had to show this off around the office. Another employee said he'd seen one before, but rumor has it that Oregon is moving to make them illegal.. LAME.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -hef-
i think i am clear on this, just confirming - when you put the carpeted trunk floor piece back down over top of the spare and amp/sub, it fits snug just like before you installed the amp/sub, yes? and one other Q: what bolt did you ground to, or did you ground straight to the battery? i have read conflicting info on whether or not it's ok to ground at the battery.
Yes, the lid closes perfectly with just enough room for the handle to clear the speaker enclosure. I didn't even bolt it in because the spare tire holds it snug. The wiring is super easy because the battery is right there in the trunk. I bolted the negative for the amp to the bolt that holds the battery strap down. I was surprised at how easily this all fit together. Buy the exact kicker enclosure I listed below and you will see it's perfect drop in solution for our Q5s!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here are a few more pics from different angels
Attached Images     
Old 01-28-2014, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the lid closes perfectly with just enough room for the handle to clear the speaker enclosure. I didn't even bolt it in because the spare tire holds it snug. The wiring is super easy because the battery is right there in the trunk. I bolted the negative for the amp to the bolt that holds the battery strap down. I was surprised at how easily this all fit together. Buy the exact kicker enclosure I listed below and you will see it's perfect drop in solution for our Q5s!
thanks. and thanks for the extra pics. do you have something propping up the right side of the amp?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by -hef-
thanks. and thanks for the extra pics. do you have something propping up the right side of the amp?
Yes, It's a split 2x4 painted black. Screwed into the battery compartment door. amp is screwed into the wood only.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Mods/Solutions: Front License Plate & Subwoofer upgrade