Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

Timing belt diy ?

Old 01-15-2014, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt diy ?

Hi all,
Still have my '04 Allroad with 69,*** on the clock. Just arrive today was my T-belt kit and cam/valve gasket kit. I have a three day weekend in a few days and thought this would be the ideal time to tackle this diy. Hmm k, so the T-belt kit I ordered does not have the "cam locking tool". Is this really neccessary or can I fab something up to get the job done?
Old 01-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DOALLAR
so the T-belt kit I ordered does not have the "cam locking tool". Is this really neccessary or can I fab something up to get the job done?
I'd say yes, but it's your motor
Old 01-16-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't do it without the crank locking pin and the appropriate cam locking tool. Here's a DIY that pretty much covers everything except the pin and some of the other recommendations from the Bentley manual.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng63.shtml
Old 01-16-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks!

@kneale, I appreciate the DIY link and see your in colorado. Do you (or anyone in CO) possibly have the cam tool handy?

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
I wouldn't do it without the crank locking pin and the appropriate cam locking tool. Here's a DIY that pretty much covers everything except the pin and some of the other recommendations from the Bentley manual.

https://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng63.shtml

Last edited by DOALLAR; 01-16-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One kit left:
Amazon.com: VW Audi Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool A4 A6 S4 V6 and Pin: Everything Else Amazon.com: VW Audi Camshaft Alignment Timing Tool A4 A6 S4 V6 and Pin: Everything Else

Mine are in Michigan with my car lift.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You will be glad to have the locking tools when you pop off the cam gears which is required to put the belt on.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cool!

@Ride2live; Thanks for the pointer!
Originally Posted by Ride2Live
You will be glad to have the locking tools when you pop off the cam gears which is required to put the belt on.

@Kneale; will do - I appreciate the link - Thanks!
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride2Live
"By the book"...maybe. But not "required". As with all other Audi's, VW's and Porsche's, I have never used a timing tool to change timing belts...have never popped off a timing belt pulley, no reason to.

Just recently did the wife's 2.7 AR and used paint marks to mark position of perfectly timed old belt...transferred the same marks to the new belt and lined up with marks I made on the pulleys...with idle pulley off and tensioner de-tensioned, belt slips easily on and off.

An afternoon's work and perfectly timed...didn't pull the front end either...plenty of room.

To each their own...simplicity is quicker, easier and gets exactly the same job done.

Cheers.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by silverd2
"By the book"...maybe. But not "required". As with all other Audi's, VW's and Porsche's, I have never used a timing tool to change timing belts...have never popped off a timing belt pulley, no reason to.

Just recently did the wife's 2.7 AR and used paint marks to mark position of perfectly timed old belt...transferred the same marks to the new belt and lined up with marks I made on the pulleys...with idle pulley off and tensioner de-tensioned, belt slips easily on and off.

An afternoon's work and perfectly timed...didn't pull the front end either...plenty of room.

To each their own...simplicity is quicker, easier and gets exactly the same job done.

Cheers.

In any case, with timing being infinitely adjustable, get the tools and get the job done right.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

did mine with out and special tools, came out just fine, you just mark it all before taking apart, and then put back together after with marks matched up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Timing belt diy ?