Notices
Audi allroad Discussion forum for the original Audi allroad

CV Axle issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle issues

I've had repeat problems with my CV axles on my 2003 2.7T 6 speed Allroad. First major issue was a total outer joint failure back at around 60k miles. I replaced that drivers side front axle with a "lifetime guaranteed" axle from raxles.com. At some point after that, the inner joint went on the passenger side front axle and I also replaced with a rebuilt axle from raxles.com.

Then, my boots split on my drivers side outer joint again about 2 years ago and I had to pull the axle out, send it to raxles.com in FL before they'd warranty it. I did it while I was away on vacation to save myself from the downtime without the car.

Now the same drivers side outer boot is torn yet again and the inner boot is torn too on the drivers side. I had been told back then to drive the car at level 2 as often as possible since the axles are most level to the ground at position 2.

My choices are:
1) order an aftermarket axle assembly from germanautoparts.com for $102 + shipping so I can swap it out when I pull the raxles one out. Ship the raxles one back to them and have them warranty it and then just sit on it until I either need to do it again or part with the car.
2) pull the raxles one out, ship to FL, wait for it to be rebuilt and returned and then put it back in. 7-9 days without the car.
3) Try to find a spent OEM CV axle around here and ship that down to raxles so I can drive my car until it comes back and have no downtime other than the time it takes to swap it out.
4) Get the CV boot kit, but that seems to be a band-aid fix and super messy, not that the mess bothers me, but is it worth doing this if the joint has been worn out by losing grease and getting dirty?

Unfortunately, raxles will not send an advance replacement as he says he has very low or no inventory. I offered to buy another one and then just get a refund when I send mine, but he says he doesn't think he has any anyway and won't do it that way.

Any other suggestions?

Germanautoparts.com sells a replacement axle bolt for the CV outer joint and suggests not re-using the old one. What have others done? They also sell a 17mm impact hex bit, but I'm confident my neighbor with the lift has this in his plethora of tools.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the grease isn't completely depleted from the joint you might be able to get away with replacing just the boot.

We carry a pneumatic cv boot installer that makes changing these out a breeze.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
Old 01-13-2014, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

I know this was probably meant to help, but I don't think that repacking the grease and replacing the boot is such a good idea. Plus, both the inner and outer boots are shot so it seems to make the most sense to replace the whole axle assembly, especially since it would be covered by raxles.com's warranty.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket axle assembly from Germanautoparts.com?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Usually they don't fail for no reason. Most common reason for failure is when all the grease leaks out from the ripped boot. Which is why I said if there is still plenty of grease inside and the rip is pretty new you can get away with just repacking and installing a new boot.

If it's clicking it's definitely shot no matter what and you would want to get a new axle in there.

If you search aftermarket axles you'll see that some people have no issues with them and others they don't last very long.

Also whats most important at the moment down time or how much you're going to spend?

Jason
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rubber boots fail, that doesn't mean you need to rebuild the axle. I have simply replaced with original Audi boots, as they seem to last the longest.

Have yet to have a problem with any axle where I just replaced the torn boot.

So I am not sure why you want to send the whole axle for a rebuild.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GTA_Driver
Rubber boots fail, that doesn't mean you need to rebuild the axle. I have simply replaced with original Audi boots, as they seem to last the longest.

Have yet to have a problem with any axle where I just replaced the torn boot.

So I am not sure why you want to send the whole axle for a rebuild.
Because the axle is under warranty and they will rebuild the whole axle assembly as a matter of good will.

Plus, since both boots are torn (inner as well as outer) I'm assuming the axle has to come off completely anyway.

Might as well get it done right.

Outer boot tear is wide open and there's not much grease left in there so I'm assuming plenty of dirt inside. It's not quite clicking yet that I can hear. I'm not sure if this is a symptom, but my steering wheel has been wobbly at low speeds the past couple of days.

I'm looking to maintain this car as economically as possible since it has 200k miles and I don't want to dump a bunch of money into it if the repairs may keep just piling up. Willing to spend the extra $102 + shipping for an extra aftermarket axle from GermanAutoParts.com if it means I won't have to wait for the transit and turnaround time for my warranteed axle to go to Florida and back. I think that's going to be my plan. I also am considering trying the timing belt and waterpump job myself and if I order that kit from GermanAutoParts.com, I can get free shipping on everything.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone know where I might find a genuine OEM CV axle? used would be fine, it would just need to be genuine OEM.

I'm told the aftermarket ones will likely vibrate since they have solid shafts and transfer more vibration. the genuine OEM ones are hollow shaft and vibrate less.

I'm just thinking that if I end up hanging onto the car, I'd rather get the genuine OEM one. Then if I have an issue with it, I can send it to raxles to be rebuilt just like the one that's in my car now.

2003 Allroad 2.7T 6speed (driver's side front)

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djtnut
Anyone know where I might find a genuine OEM CV axle? used would be fine, it would just need to be genuine OEM.

I'm told the aftermarket ones will likely vibrate since they have solid shafts and transfer more vibration. the genuine OEM ones are hollow shaft and vibrate less.

I'm just thinking that if I end up hanging onto the car, I'd rather get the genuine OEM one. Then if I have an issue with it, I can send it to raxles to be rebuilt just like the one that's in my car now.

2003 Allroad 2.7T 6speed (driver's side front)

Thanks in advance!
Try Bryan at audis4parts.com or Shokan. Even used will not be cheap.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default CV axle torque specs?

I found used genuine CV axles and they are arriving today. I'm planning to tackle this tonight on my neighbor's lift in his garage. The only thing I don't have is a Bentley manual, so I don't know what the torque specs should be on the outer axle hub bolt and the inner 12 point bolts.

Does anyone have that info handy that they could look up for me?

One video from a passat that I found online said for that car it's 140 ftLbs and then turn the bolt another 180 degrees (though in the vid it doesn't look like he went a full 180 degrees LOL).

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-21-2014, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

This is for an A4 but I would imagine torque specs for axles on Audi quattros are pretty similar. Have a look.

Click Here

Jason

Quick Reply: CV Axle issues