A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

05 Audi A4 with low oil pressure PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Audi A4 with low oil pressure PLEASE HELP

I have a 2005 Audi A4 Avant Quattro Turbo 2.0 with 165,000. I've had the car for a year, with no problems. I normally get oil changes regularly but this last time i did not get the oil changed when i was supposed to. The oil light came on indicating that the oil was low. I put 3 quarts of oil in it. 30 mins later the oil pressure light came on indicating the pressure was too low. I then noticed that the engine was louder than normal. COULD ANYONE, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT ON WHAT MAY BE THE PROBLEM. I TOOK IT TO MY LOCAL MECHANIC, BUT HE DOESN'T REALLY WORK ON AUDI'S AND HE SAID HE THINK ITS THE OIL PUMP. HE SAYS HE DOESNT THING The oil is being pumped. Does this sound about right? Does anyone knows where I can get an oil pump for this car besides the dealer their price is $1300...Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-21-2014, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Putting too much oil is as bad as not having enough oil. Did you add oil based on the level on the dipstick or just add 3 quarts of oil?

obtw, don't drive it until this is sorted.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
Putting too much oil is as bad as not having enough oil. Did you add oil based on the level on the dipstick or just add 3 quarts of oil?

obtw, don't drive it until this is sorted.
lyleswk, yes the oil was indicating that it was low based on the dipstick. It could be that I put too much oil. Not sure if I need a oil pump or what to do. Do you know where I can purchase an oil pump for this car? I am stuck don't know what to do
Old 01-23-2014, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

I meant did you fill it to the "full" level on the dipstick or just dump oil in it, but regardless, I would do the following: Drain the oil and only put back in the proper amount. For the 1.8t, it is about 4 quarts without the filter. Check your servicing with the dipstick to make sure it is not above the full level. Run the car and see if you symptoms go away. It they do, hope you didn't damage the engine over-servicing the oil.

Again, I would not drive it until you have put the proper oil level in.

As an aside, the reason you do not over-service is because the oil in the pan tends to "foam" which allows air and oil into the pickup tube when only oil is expected. If run long enough, this can cavitate the pump causing it to fail and / or create low pressure in the camshafts or tensioner causing metal on metal conditions and damage.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The first thing you need to so is have the oil pressure checked manually.

A competent mechanic whos familiar with Audi's should know how to do this.

If the oil pressure is out of spec it could be that you have a clogged pick up tube due to sludge (Most common) which then ultimately could effect the oil pump.

Either way if the pressure is an issue you need to drop the oil pan.

Expect 550-700 on labor just to drop the pan.

We' have oil pumps and pick up tubes available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lyleswk
I meant did you fill it to the "full" level on the dipstick or just dump oil in it, but regardless, I would do the following: Drain the oil and only put back in the proper amount. For the 1.8t, it is about 4 quarts without the filter. Check your servicing with the dipstick to make sure it is not above the full level. Run the car and see if you symptoms go away. It they do, hope you didn't damage the engine over-servicing the oil.

Again, I would not drive it until you have put the proper oil level in.

As an aside, the reason you do not over-service is because the oil in the pan tends to "foam" which allows air and oil into the pickup tube when only oil is expected. If run long enough, this can cavitate the pump causing it to fail and / or create low pressure in the camshafts or tensioner causing metal on metal conditions and damage.
Yes i did i fill it to the full level.. I had it towed to the mechanic. I am waiting for him to let me know if I need a new oil pump or if its the pick up tubes etc. thats so much for your input.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
The first thing you need to so is have the oil pressure checked manually.

A competent mechanic whos familiar with Audi's should know how to do this.

If the oil pressure is out of spec it could be that you have a clogged pick up tube due to sludge (Most common) which then ultimately could effect the oil pump.

Either way if the pressure is an issue you need to drop the oil pan.

Expect 550-700 on labor just to drop the pan.

We' have oil pumps and pick up tubes available below.

Click HERE to order or for more information

Jason
Ok, thank you. The oil pump for this particular model is about a grand I believe. I hope it is just need the pick up tube, and hopefully it is not as much as the oil pump for the 2005.5 a4 avant 2.0. I have at the mechanic now and i am waiting to see what the exact problem is .
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by Iesha Brown
Ok, thank you. The oil pump for this particular model is about a grand I believe. I hope it is just need the pick up tube, and hopefully it is not as much as the oil pump for the 2005.5 a4 avant 2.0. I have at the mechanic now and i am waiting to see what the exact problem is .
2.0T oil pumps are about a grand. As I said before most shops want you to replace the pump in case it got oil staved. Hard thing is it could still work properly for the time being but later on down the road could fail. Then you would need to pay another 550-600 for the same labor to replace the pump when you could have done it the first time and never had to remove the pan again.

Jason
Old 01-29-2014, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning-Audi
2.0T oil pumps are about a grand. As I said before most shops want you to replace the pump in case it got oil staved. Hard thing is it could still work properly for the time being but later on down the road could fail. Then you would need to pay another 550-600 for the same labor to replace the pump when you could have done it the first time and never had to remove the pan again.

Jason
Thanks Jason. I just got my car back from my mechanic. He is a general mechanic not really that knowledgable about Audi's. Now the low oil pressure light has gone off, the car is not making loud noises any more. I am now noticing that its making a funny noises when i accelerate, and it feels like the Turbo is not really kicking in. Do you have any idea what this is.. my mechanic is stuck..I have to find a mechanic in my area that knows imports specifically Audi's.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I would stop driving the car until you actually check the oil pressure with a manual gauge.

Further driving it if there is an oiling issue could severely damage engine internals and kill the turbo.

The fact that you are noticing a noise while you accelerate and that you don't notice the turbo kicking it could very well be another tell that there is an oiling issue.

Don't waste anymore time fiddling with driving it to see if the light comes on, check pressure ASAP. I would not advise you start or drive the car at all. Only run it while testing oil pressure.

Jason

Last edited by ECS Tuning-Audi; 01-30-2014 at 07:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 05 Audi A4 with low oil pressure PLEASE HELP