Some 20v quattro questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some 20v quattro questions

So I just found a 1990 20v Quattro sedan, 2 owner, all stock!!! My first car was an 88 80 and that started my vw audi love affair. I have owned and still own several vw's and audi's since then but this is my first 20v. Overall its in pretty good shape but it had been sitting for a few years so it does need some work. I just did the front wheel bearings to make sure that the extremely loud grinding wasn't anything in the transmission or drivetrain. While doing those I quickly learned that parts are not easy to find! In fact I learned that wheel hubs are non-existent. However, the bearings on old hubs worked and it is nice and quiet up front now so I am moving on to the rest of the suspension. I ordered all new rubber and struts for the front and rear (just spent almost as much on germanautoparts.com as I did on the car itself!) but I want to get it just a little lower than stock and can't find springs.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket springs out there? I found h&rs for a coupe.. will they work on the sedan?

2. I read an article that there were probably less than 1000 sedans shipped to the US and have found numbers on the coupe but does anyone have an idea as to how many sedans are still on the road in the US?

Last edited by vwaudi916; 07-13-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vwaudi916
So I just found a 1990 20v Quattro sedan, 2 owner, all stock!!! My first car was an 88 80 and that started my vw audi love affair. I have owned and still own several vw's and audi's since then but this is my first 20v. Overall its in pretty good shape but it had been sitting for a few years so it does need some work. I just did the front wheel bearings to make sure that the extremely loud grinding wasn't anything in the transmission or drivetrain. While doing those I quickly learned that parts are not easy to find! In fact I learned that wheel hubs are non-existent. However, the bearings on old hubs worked and it is nice and quiet up front now so I am moving on to the rest of the suspension. I ordered all new rubber and struts for the front and rear (just spent almost as much on germanautoparts.com as I did on the car itself!) but I want to get it just a little lower than stock and can't find springs.

So my questions are:

1. Does anyone know if there are aftermarket springs out there? I found h&rs for a coupe.. will they work on the sedan?

2. The worst part about the car is that the odometer is not working. The Autocheck report seems to vibe with what the owner said and how long it looked to be sitting but I guess I will never know for sure. Either way does anyone have advice on fixing it? It has the trip and fuel economy computer in the cluster so finding a new cluster is probably impossible.

3. I read an article that there were probably less than 1000 sedans shipped to the US and have found numbers on the coupe but does anyone have an idea as to how many sedans are still on the road in the US?

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...v/viewall.html

[IMG][/IMG]
1., H&R springs #50311 lowers 1.25 fr and rear, around $250
2., odometer is fixable, most likely cold solder joints needs to be re-soldered and/or odometer gear, sometimes you can buy a used good cluster around $150 (cq is the same)
3., cq were around 1700, no clue on sedans

ps: a new wheel hub (4x108) is like $40
Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

No advice for you but that's a great looking 20V. I've been daily driving my gold/tan 20V for a few months now and love it. Not sure why you are intending to lower it, but consider having some money on hand for bringing the maintenance up to schedule as missed items can destroy expensive components.

Have fun.

DougM
Old 09-17-2013, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by varia

ps: a new wheel hub (4x108) is like $40
Do you have any more info on that hub (ie.. part#, where to buy, who makes it, and also is 4x108 the factory wheel size, I thought it was 4x100 )?

I personally spoke to two Audi dealers, the people from German auto parts (they had one listed for it but it was wrong), the people from ecstuning, and blauparts, and they all said that it's no longer made. The German auto parts people and the one audi dealership tried to cross reference it to no avail. So if you know where I can get them that would be awesome!
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Do you have any more info on that hub (ie.. part#, where to buy, who makes it, and also is 4x108 the factory wheel size, I thought it was 4x100 )?

I personally spoke to two Audi dealers, the people from German auto parts (they had one listed for it but it was wrong), the people from ecstuning, and blauparts, and they all said that it's no longer made. The German auto parts people and the one audi dealership tried to cross reference it to no avail. So if you know where I can get them that would be awesome!

Audi 90 Quattro 80 & Coupe Quattro New Rear Axle Hub 893 407 615B

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyle-Front-...58cfec&vxp=mtr
Old 09-17-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-90-Quattro-80-Coupe-Quattro-New-Rear-Axle-Hub-893-407-615B-/281084531930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4171f194da&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Meyle-Front-...58cfec&vxp=mtr
Old 01-12-2014, 05:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So a little update and a new question/problem.

I have been slowly chipping away all fall/winter long with the hopes of getting it through inspection by March. As far as the suspension goes I have done all four struts, mounts, ball joints, sway bar links, and all 8 control arm bushings. I was never able to find the hubs, the ones linked above from ebay were the same ones I got from germanautoparts.com that were too small. Either way I still did the front bushings on old hubs and they seem to be fine.

So now to my problems/questions. While doing the rear struts I stripped the inside allen key head of the passenger side strut before it was completely tightened down. The drivers side went on fine and the top nut is about a half inch down the threads of the strut. However as I was doing the passenger side the allen wrench slipped and stripped out the hole. The nut is on but not far enough down (about 1/32 of an inch is sticking out of the top) which is causing some play and rattling when I hit any bumps. So does anyone have an idea for tightening this up? I am stumped, so far I have tried to put an 8mm allen in there (one size up), I have wrapped vice grips in rubber and tried to clamp the strut tube so it couldn't spin and have even tried to jb weld the 7mm allen on.

My only idea left is to rip out the backseat and the rear deck cover and try and go through the top with an impact gun. The speaker hole doesn't line up so I would have to cut a hole in that metal which I really don't want to do. My only other idea is to just throw in towel and buy a new strut. I'm sure if a clamp down hard enough with vise grips without rubber I could at least get it off.

My other issue is that while every other corner is tight and has no play now the car still rattles and shakes pretty good over bumps could this be my engine, trans, and drive system mounts?

Sorry if that was long winded any help/thoughts are appeciated
Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi i would honestly strip out the whole suspension unit as one wish bone, spring, leg complete you will need some help as it will be heavy. Get it done as soon as your only going to cause alot of damage and alot of expense i'm sure you could do without.Hope that helps, dont try and bodge it .
Old 04-03-2014, 04:04 PM
No Bozos!

Didn't see you mention TRE's?

Before you go dropping the subframe check also the rack bolts. Been known to come loose. It really depends on what is shakimg. Steering or suspension.