Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Question re: headlight operation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Question re: headlight operation

I recently discovered something that seems odd to me regarding how the headlights turn off with my 2016 A6 P+ with LED’s:

Scenario 1 - I stop the car, push the start button and the engine shuts off. In this situation, after I leave the car and close the door (but do not lock it) the headlights and DRL’s shut off after the delay I have set in the MMI.

Scenario 2 – I stop the car, do not turn the engine off, but open the door which causes the engine to shut off. I then leave the car and close the door (again I do not lock the doors). After the usual delay the headlights shut off, but what I believe are the DRL’s stay on. I have waited over 15 minutes and they are still on. I have to restart the engine then shut the engine off as in Scenario 1 to get both lights to turn off.

Does this seem normal? I have gone through the owner manual a few times but could not find anything on this point, but maybe I was careless and it is there.
Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

With these push button start cars, I don't like the idea of leaving the car unlocked anymore, because it seems that the electrical systems only shut off completely when you lock the car.

It also seems the Audi system was designed to start booting up systems when you unlock the car and/or open the driver's door (you can noticeably hear it priming the fuel pump) so that they will be ready sooner.

I have found that if you get in but don't start the engine within about 30 seconds, some systems will shut down again presumably to save battery power. Then if you do start the engine, those systems will have to start booting up again, so they won't be available right away like the backup camera or even the entire screen will stay stowed.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Scenario 1: your car is turned off
Scenario 2: your engine is off but you are still in accessory (like pressing the start button without your foot on the brake)
Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In scenario 2, you could lock car with fob or touching door handle to shut off lights. No need to restart the vehicle...
Old 05-10-2017, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess what I am seeing here is that under my scenario #2 the car is not really turned off, so it is normal that the DRL's stay on.
From now on I will make sure I turn the engine off each time I park it in my garage (an alarmed space) using the start button on the console and likely lock the doors as well.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What setting is your headlight set to? Auto?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I guess what I am seeing here is that under my scenario #2 the car is not really turned off, so it is normal that the DRL's stay on.
From now on I will make sure I turn the engine off each time I park it in my garage (an alarmed space) using the start button on the console and likely lock the doors as well.
Sounds like your car works as programmed. I never push the button to turn my car off. My start/stop turns the engine off when I put it in park and the inside car electronics shut down when I open the door. I think it's the Coming Home feature that leaves the DRLs on when the headlights are in Auto. I usually lock my car and they stay on for less than a minute. The few times I haven't locked it, they've stayed on much longer (never timed it but yeah I want to say over 10 mins at least) but they eventually go off. I did change some DRL time setting in VCDS but can't recall if it's related. I don't think the car is in Accessory mode or it would annoyingly beep at you. I also notice if I open a passenger door or the trunk, it tends to interrupt whatever timer the DRLs are on and they turn off faster or as soon as I lock the car.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ricckky
Sounds like your car works as programmed. I never push the button to turn my car off. My start/stop turns the engine off when I put it in park and the inside car electronics shut down when I open the door. I think it's the Coming Home feature that leaves the DRLs on when the headlights are in Auto. I usually lock my car and they stay on for less than a minute. The few times I haven't locked it, they've stayed on much longer (never timed it but yeah I want to say over 10 mins at least) but they eventually go off. I did change some DRL time setting in VCDS but can't recall if it's related. I don't think the car is in Accessory mode or it would annoyingly beep at you. I also notice if I open a passenger door or the trunk, it tends to interrupt whatever timer the DRLs are on and they turn off faster or as soon as I lock the car.
Thanks - best answer - you seem to have understood my question. Coming Home with headlights in AUTO is the key I believe. Again, thanks.