Newbie Audi 80 2.6 cold start problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Audi 80 2.6 cold start problem

Hi everyone,
I'm new to this forum and recently bought my first Audi (a 1995 model 2.6 V6). I love it but have a cold start problem with it. Since I bought it, when cold it would only fire up after the 3rd or 4th attempt.
I replaced the coolant temperature sensor a few days ago but it's still taking 2 goes to start up from cold - the first time it sounds like it'll catch but will then die.
Any suggestions?
Btw, I've also replaced the spark plugs (NGK BKUR6ET-10), the fuel filter, oil and oil filter, air filter.
Thanks.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hmm... try ading some fuel injectors cleaners....
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, I did that a few weeks ago. I used the Caltex Techron cleaner - twice.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Personally, it sounds fuel related. You mentioned that you replaced the fuel filter, check your fuel lines and ensure that there not loose or leaking. I have to weekly check and adjust my fuel line hoses on my fuel pump and filter, as I had to replace the original ones with cheap rubber one's and they burst on occasion with the pressure. I had to change them over to 180 psi fuel line hose and those seem to be holding up.
Do this: FOLLOW YOUR NOSE FOR SMELL OF FUEL! If your fuel pump and fuel filter are under your car, turn it on and check to see if their leaking. While your at it, check all fuel lines to include the one's that connect to your fuel injectors. Worst case, replace your fuel pump and maybe your fuel injectors. Also,before you do anything, and you get it started, check for codes. If I'm not mistaken, your car is OBDII.

Good Luck!
Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

A few days ago I wiggled a few of the vacuum hoses around and made sure they were fully in. I then cleaned the throttle body by spraying carby cleaner spray into the throttle body with the engine running. After that I sprayed some electronic cleaner on a few of the electrical connectors near the throttle body (I don't know what they were) and it seems to have fixed the cold start problem. Now she starts first when cold!

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Problem still persisting

Well, I spoke too soon in my last post. The problem is still there. In addition to my efforts below, I have also replaced the braided vacuum hoses (there were just 3 of them) and the fuel injector o-rings but it has made no difference. I've ordered a vag-com cable from ebay will see what the diagnostics reveals - I hope that shareware version of the software is sufficient.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK. I've replaced the fuel pump too now and there's still no difference to the hard starting. I bought one of those vag-com cables from ebay and was running Vag-Com software to 409.1 but am having some issues getting diagnostic info - the one time I got some decent reading, it said that there were no error codes with the engine.
Options?
Check my fuel injectors to see if any are leaking?
Anybody know of a good vag-com hand scanner that's inexpensive and will work on my Audi 80 2.6L V6 (ABC engine)? I'm only an amateur DIYer and can't afford anything expensive. Oh, I'm in Australia and will have to have it posted here.
Thanks.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

I REALLY think it's a vacuum issue.

It's not temperature. The negative vacuum pressure is leaking down as the car sits, and it takes a few revolutions of the engine in order to build enough vacuum to have the engine run properly at start-up.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there any particular place you suggest I check for a vacuum leak? I really have no idea.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Have you cleaned your ISV ,that may be your culprit

and easy to do..............

Quick Reply: Newbie Audi 80 2.6 cold start problem