'90 90 quattro 20v (7A) stalling issue: Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 10:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '90 90 quattro 20v (7A) stalling issue: Help please!

This is a re-post of the Hall Sensor replacement thread; may not be related, may be.

Here's what I know:
Vacuum leaks unlikely- thoroughly checked and repaired all vacuum lines, idle adjustment o-ring, and crankcase breather hose. Have checked for additional leaks with carb-cleaner test. New 034 injectors and 034 stage2 intake/ecu seem to be working well. Have properly adjusted idle with obd1 tester/blinker, jb-welded the hall connector on the distributor back into place, as it was broken. Adjustable FPR reads 62psi (4.2bar).

Wondering if the crankshaft position sensor might be faulty, or if the hall sensor in the distributor is bad. Also there is an exhaust leak right near the cat which may also be complicating matters. Might the cat be clogged also?

This is a long-standing issue which I have posted before, and replaced many parts since. To my dismay, the problem persists and I have inadvertently destroyed the hard-drive which had my maintenance/repair manual, complicating matters further.

Please help, I would greatly appreciate it
solid
Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid20vq
This is a re-post of the Hall Sensor replacement thread; may not be related, may be.

Here's what I know:
Vacuum leaks unlikely- thoroughly checked and repaired all vacuum lines, idle adjustment o-ring, and crankcase breather hose. Have checked for additional leaks with carb-cleaner test. New 034 injectors and 034 stage2 intake/ecu seem to be working well. Have properly adjusted idle with obd1 tester/blinker, jb-welded the hall connector on the distributor back into place, as it was broken. Adjustable FPR reads 62psi (4.2bar).

Wondering if the crankshaft position sensor might be faulty, or if the hall sensor in the distributor is bad. Also there is an exhaust leak right near the cat which may also be complicating matters. Might the cat be clogged also?

This is a long-standing issue which I have posted before, and replaced many parts since. To my dismay, the problem persists and I have inadvertently destroyed the hard-drive which had my maintenance/repair manual, complicating matters further.

Please help, I would greatly appreciate it
solid
Turns out a bad flex-joint was allowing a vacuum of fresh air into the exhaust and fouling the O2 sensor readings. Oh and the cat was 1/2 clogged. She runs like a champ now; sounds much better, better throttle response, and now she doesn't die whwn returning to idle.