Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

'14 Q5 TDI MIL

Old 10-24-2013, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 Q5 TDI MIL

Hey guys,

I'm new around here, so be gentle.

We have a '14 Q5 TDI with about 2900 miles and the MIL came on today while driving. Can't get it into the dealership for about 2-3 weeks for a number of reasons. Dealership says that it's okay to drive unless the light is blinking; it's not currently blinking. Can anyone confirm this? We have a fairly long drive that we cannot post-pone and do not want to break down in the middle of nowhere.

The Q5 is otherwise perfect! No noticeable difference while driving after the light came on.

Anyone else have an MIL on so early?? Better not be a lemon or I will be pretty perturbed....(nice word....other words are much too inappropriate for a post).

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgot to mention:

I brought it two separate parts stores and they used the handheld OBD computer to check the codes. No codes are coming back; they said maybe because it is a new car and the OBD isn't updated??

Also, checked the gas cap. Anything else obvious to check?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

This might be a stretch but ...

Check your MMI interface, if you select menu and "car" you can review maintenance due for oil changes and such. Does anything show up there?
Old 10-24-2013, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

What type of computer did they use?

Find someone locally who has a Ross tech cable:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/

As far as I know, that is the most reliable consumer cable available and should be able to tell you what the error is.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by surgonc
We have a fairly long drive that we cannot post-pone and do not want to break down in the middle of nowhere.
If you can't find out what the code is about, maybe rent a car for the long trip...
Old 10-24-2013, 11:25 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Gas Cap or AdBlue Cap? I would hope not....but worth a shot!

-tgt
Old 10-24-2013, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't worry about it. A blinking MIL is an engine misfire and will make its presence known rather loudly. The rest are generally emissions things. I once had a new Vette that threw a transmission code after a few thousand miles. Turned out it was just a sensor that went bad. No effect on drivability. Maybe you could pop into an Audi dealer on the way and have them pull the code? If it's my TDI, I'm driving it. Doubtful you'll get stranded. Do watch for a mileage drop though, which would indicate an emissions item affecting the air/fuel ratio (like a bad O2 sensor). Let us know how it goes!
Old 10-24-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks everyone! I did as suggested and found a guy with a vag-com and he checked the code for me. It turns on that is was reporting an unknown code See below.

We didn't reset the MIL but the light did go off the second we disconnected the vag-com. It hasn't come back on yet. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2013, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by surgonc
Thanks everyone! I did as suggested and found a guy with a vag-com and he checked the code for me. It turns on that is was reporting an unknown code See below.

We didn't reset the MIL but the light did go off the second we disconnected the vag-com. It hasn't come back on yet. Fingers crossed.
I've had the same code and was told it is a diagnostic (checksum of sorts, that goes out of range), but doesn't have any part problem or drivability issues. Mine didn't turn on the MIL though. By all means, ask your dealer, but I wouldn't hesitate from continuing as if it's not there.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by visualguy
If you can't find out what the code is about, maybe rent a car for the long trip...
Where did you get this information???

Last edited by spijun; 10-25-2013 at 01:38 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '14 Q5 TDI MIL