A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

11 A4 caliper bolt tool and size?

Old 10-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 A4 caliper bolt tool and size?

Hi,
I want to clean my brakes cause there is a squeaky noise sometimes.
But I cant find any information what tool and size i need to remove those 4 bolts on the back of the caliper.
I called Audi they said they don't know... It looks like the caliper is hold by 4 bolts with a star looking ALAN bolt I think.
And also couldn't find any DIY on this calipers. I had an Infiniti and it was really easy take the spring off and brake pads would come out, on Audi looks like I have to take apart the whole caliper.

please help with the tool and size and instructions!
Thank you
Old 10-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Rissen IK
Hi,
I want to clean my brakes cause there is a squeaky noise sometimes.
But I cant find any information what tool and size i need to remove those 4 bolts on the back of the caliper.
I called Audi they said they don't know... It looks like the caliper is hold by 4 bolts with a star looking ALAN bolt I think.
And also couldn't find any DIY on this calipers. I had an Infiniti and it was really easy take the spring off and brake pads would come out, on Audi looks like I have to take apart the whole caliper.

please help with the tool and size and instructions!
Thank you
Ok I found the tool its called The Schwaben Triple Square
here :
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1910125/

Any one got instructions how to get the brake pads out of the caliper? Front and Rear.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:38 PM
Never Follows

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm confused? The calipers are held on by 2 bolts and the caliper carrier has another 2 bolts. You don't remove the triple square bolts.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You don't need to remove the triple square bolts. They hold the two pieces of the caliper together. To take off the caliper, you need to remove the bolts that hold it to the carrier.

I have not done the rears myself, but there has been a discussion whether you need Ross-tech's VCDS software and cable ($350) or not to retract the pistons in case you will be installing new pads. There are cheap tools to screw the pistons back in, but it was pointed out that the rear pads have no wear indicator and the computer keeps track of the wear based on the motor steps and using a mechanical tool to retract the piston will confuse it.

There is one or two brake DIYs on audizine.com.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You guys talking about this 2 bolts?
If yes whats the tool called and size?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Old 10-28-2013, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

guys?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Rissen IK
guys?
What you are showing here are the s4 carriers with the pad guide pins. The back pins are hollow and the caliper bolts into them with regular bolts. In the picture that monza avant posted you can see the holes where the bolts go and then into the carrier. The curly bolts you are showing don't need to be removed. I have the same s4 carriers.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you want to remove the rotors, you have to remove the carriers also. That's regular bolts, although quite big, 140 ft lb of torque. They are one-timers so you are supposed to buy new ones. Ecs tuning has them in the brake section.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

why would my A4 front brakes would have S4 carriers ? Is it because its a Prestige model?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11 A4 caliper bolt tool and size?