A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

Old 03-21-2004, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

I've been thinking about going for an extended warranty for my 99 A4 2.8Q w/ 49,500 miles now. I've read through a lot of posts here regarding extended warranties (all of which have been very informative). I decided that I need the peace of mind of having an extended warranty as the vehicle ages although I haven't had any major problems with the vehicle thus far (except for instrument cluster).

I just got a quote for this plan for $0 deductible:
24month/24,000 miles for $2300
36month/36,000 miles for $3000
48month/48,000 miles for $3700

I find this expensive for a plan that is not bumper to bumper and covers the inclusions shown below. What do you think?

Btw, I also got a quote from Warranty Direct:
XtraCare Plus - Protects all 16 major components of your vehicle
Terms/Miles* $0 Deductible $100 Deductible
13 Months / 13,000 $ 1,999 $ 1,824
25 Months / 25,000 $ 2,394 $ 2,194
37 Months / 37,000 $ 2,959 $ 2,759

Warranty direct's xtracare seems similar to AAA's gold plan. Due to the model year of my A4, it seems that I don't qualify for the highest coverage these 2 companies provide.

For those with pre 00 A4's with extended warranties, which reputable provider did you go with? and are those plans bumper-to-bumper/wear & tear coverages?

AAA's Gold Plan description:

The Gold Protection plan has a 30 day/1,000 mile waiting period before the protection starts. Below is a list of the covered components/parts:

1. Engine:

Cylinder Block, Cylinder Head(s), Rotary Housing and all internal lubricated parts contained within the engine including: Pistons; Piston Rings; Connecting Rod Bearings; Crankshaft; Crankshaft Main Bearings; Camshaft; Camshaft Bearings; Cam Followers; Timing Chain or Belt; Timing Gears, Guides, Tensioners; Rocker Arms; Rocker Shafts; Rocker Bushings; Cylinder Head Valves; Valve Guides; Valve Lifters; Valve Springs; Valve Seals; Valve Retainers; Valve Seats; Push Rods; Water Pump; Fuel Pump; Oil Pump and Oil Pump Housing; Harmonic Balancer; Oil Pan; Timing Chain Cover; Intake and Exhaust Manifolds; Valve Covers; Engine Mounts; Cam Gear Bolt; Harmonic Balancer Bolt; Head Bolts; and Seals and Gaskets.

2. Turbocharger/Supercharger: (factory installed only)

Turbocharger/Supercharger Housing and All Internal Parts; and Seals and Gaskets.

3. Transmission: (Automatic or Standard)

Transmission Case and all Internal Parts plus: Torque Converter, Flywheel/Flex Plate, Vacuum Modulator; Electronic Shift Control Unit; Transmission Cooler; Transmission Mounts; Oil SC Pan; Slave/Clutch Master Cylinder; Pilot Bearing; Throw-Out Bearing; and Seals and Gaskets.

4. Transfer Case:

Transfer Case and All Internal Parts; and Seals and Gaskets.

5. Drive Axle: (Front and Rear)

Drive Axle Case; All Internal Parts contained within the Drive Axle; Locking Hubs; Drive Shafts; Center Support Bearings; Universal Joints; Constant Velocity Joints; Axle Bearings; Four-Wheel Drive Actuator; Deferential Cover; and Seals and Gaskets.

6. Air Conditioner:

Condenser; Compressor, Compressor Clutch and Pulley; Air Conditioning Lines and Hoses; Evaporator; Idler Pulley and Idler Pulley Bearing; High/Low Compressor Cutoff Switch; Expansion Valve; Pressure Cycling Switch; and Seals and Gaskets. The following parts are also covered if they are required in connection with the repair of a covered part listed above: Accumulator/Receiver Dryer; Orifice Tube; Oil and Refrigerant.

7. Steering:

All Internal Parts contained within the Steering Box; Rack and Pinion Gear; Power Steering Pump; Power Steering Hoses; Steering Knuckles; Pitman Arm; Idler Arm; Tie Rod Ends and Drag Link; Steering Dampner; Upper and Lower Steering Column Shafts and Couplings, including Internal Tilt-Wheel Mechanism; Steering Box and Rack and Pinion Gear Housings; Power Steering Assist Cylinder; Power Steering Pump Cooler; Twin "I" Beam & Bushings; Steering Travel Stop; and Seals and Gaskets.

8. Brakes:

Master Cylinder; Power Brake Cylinder; Vacuum/Hydro Assist Booster; Disc Brake Caliper; Wheel Cylinders; Compensating Valve; Brake Hydraulic Lines and Fittings; Hydraulic Control Unit; Hydraulic Trailer Brake Assembly and it's Components. The following ABS Parts are also covered: Electronic Control Processor; Wheel Speed Sensors; Hydraulic Pump/Motor Assembly; Pressure Modulator Valve/Isolation Dump Valve; Accumulator; and Seals and Gaskets.

9. Electrical:

Alternator; Voltage Regulator; Starter Motor; Starter Solenoid and Starter Drive; Engine Compartment Wiring Harness; Computerized Timing Control Unit; Electronic Ignition Module; Crank Angle Sensor; Knock Sensor; Ignition Switch; Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder; Front and Rear Window Wiper Motor, Washer Pump and Switch; Stop Lamp Switch; Headlamp Switch; Turn Signal Switch; Heater/A.C. Blower Speed Switch; Manual Heater/A.C. Control Head; Horns; Trailer Brake Wiring Harness; Auxiliary Power Supply Wiring; Exterior Cab Lighting; Auxiliary Fuel Tank Switching Unit and Switch; and O-2 Sensors.

10. Front and Rear Suspension:

Upper and Lower Control Arms; Control Arm Shafts and Bearings or Bushings; Upper and Lower Ball Joints; Radius Arm and Bushings; Torsion Bars, Mounts and Bushings; Stabilizer Bar, Links and Bushings; Struts; Strut Bearing Plates; Spindle and Spindle Support; Wheel Bearings; Pannard Bar; Track Bar; Suspension Bumpers; Leaf Springs; Leaf Spring Shackels and Hardware; Load Assist Shocks; Shocks; Load Assist Springs; Coil Springs; and Seals and Gaskets.

11. Fuel Delivery:

Fuel Injection Pump and Injectors; Vacuum Pump; Fuel Tank; Fuel Tank Sending Unit; Metal Fuel Delivery Lines; Fuel Pressure Regulator; and Fuel Tank Switching Unit/Switch.

12. Cooling:

Engine Cooling Fan and Motor; Fan Clutch; Belt Tensioner; Radiator; Heater Core; Thermostat; Blower Motor; Hot Water Valve; Engine Oil Cooler; Cooler Lines and Fittings.

13. Enhanced Electrical:

Automatic Climate Control Programmer; Electronic Instrument Cluster; Mileage Computer; Distributor; Ignition Coil; Electronic Combination Entry System (Does Not Include Transmitters and Receivers for Remote Locks); Cruise Control Module, Transducer, Servo and Amplifier; Powertrain Control Module; Headlamp Motors; Power Window Motor; Power Seat Motor; Power Mirror Motor; Power Antenna Motor/Mast Assembly; Convertible Top Motor; Power Sunroof Motor; Power Window Switch; Cruise Control Engagement Switch; Power Seat Switch; Power Mirror Motor Switch; Rear Defogger Switch; Power Door Lock Actuator and Switch.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Re: AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

check out www.mbadirect.com. (reputable co- recommended by consumerguide.com)

i got the deluxe plan- one step below bumper to bumper for my 97 a4 1.8tqa for $1800 for 4 year/48k. very extensive coverage. i debated over this for a couple of wks, but figured it's better to spend the $ for sake of mind now then later when it's unexpected and you have to dish out the $$$ for repairs that will inevitably happen on the a4.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If you have mods, check the verbage in the contract.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:51 AM

Default Re: AAA gold warranty plan. Is it worth the cost?

Thanks calbear92. I'll checked out mbadirect.com and was quoted much better rates. I think I'll call them to get further information.
Thanks again for the tip
Old 03-22-2004, 12:53 AM

Default Re: If you have mods, check the verbage in the contract.

Thanks PointMeBy.
btw no mods... just stock for now