A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 a8l rear end swerving

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had the same issue

Hi there I'm new to this forum too. I have a 2005 A8 3.0 Q TDI & I had the exact same problem which developed after my back passenger wheel hit a curb at 30mph after I slipped on black ice. After that soon as I hit the m-way and started to accelerate the back end started shimmying so much that I had to get on the hard shoulder and stop for fear of doing a 360 it was that bad!! As a note before this I never even thought about the weather (snow, sleet,rain) as the way the car handled it could go through virtually anything as these cars are famous for handling in the worst weather possible without the driver feeling a thing. But after the incident with the back wheel even a drizzle felt like a monsoon as far as the car was concerned, it felt like it was virtually impossible to keep the steering wheel straight after 55mph the wheel would constantly force me to stop it going side to side like I was driving drunk! Scariest ride ever! Anyway I won't go into all the things I tried before finally getting the correct diagnosis which was not only had the tracking (camber) been knocked for 6 hence it felt like all the wheels were pulling in different directions. Till the correct diagnosis I'd never even known that Quattro's had to have all 4 wheels aligned and it was pointless getting the normal front wheel alignment. The hit on the back wheel also damaged the upper outer bush too, which because I didn't get done at the same time as the toe and camber meant that it was ripping the inside of my back wheels to shreds. Once I got the bush replaced (well both back bushes so they were equal) & then got the toe and camber set properly lo & behold the car was back to it's beastly best scaring everyone else on the road instead of scaring me! Ha!! I am a complete laymen in comparison to the guys on here hence I've not gone into the tech side of things too much as our fellow A8 owners on here can give you much more tech data to be getting along with than me I just thought I'd share my experience in the hope that it will ring true for you & you are able to resolve your issue as I can totally empathize how scary the drive can be when it is like that. Hope it helps. Cheers Axell113