A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

2002 A6 3.0 Cylinder 4, 5, and 6 Misfire Help??

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

changed plugs and coils.. changed MAF, seems that the engine light is worse after the install of new Hitachi MAF 0036 from rockauto. Flashing quite often, more than it was before i had the plugs and coils changed then the MAF. Will listen for leak , seems to be this is the next step. still getting all the same codes.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by audiguy83
changed plugs and coils.. changed MAF, seems that the engine light is worse after the install of new Hitachi MAF 0036 from rockauto. Flashing quite often, more than it was before i had the plugs and coils changed then the MAF. Will listen for leak , seems to be this is the next step. still getting all the same codes.
Your best bet is to start a new post with this problem, it keeps the original poster's problem/diagnosis and remedy relevant where yours is out in left field.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi,

First post and just wanted to say thanks for the info. I very much hope that this solution will work for my 2004 3.0 A4. Had intermittent CEL with random misfires on 4,5,6 for some time. New plugs, new coil packs (courtesy of AUDI main dealer on a recall - on a 10 year old car, thumbs up to them), new MAF.

Still the same with now suddenly running rough/stalling at idle/low speed, then OK for a while.

Your description is the closest I've come across in hours of searching.

I await the delivery from China.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhk1058
Hi,

First post and just wanted to say thanks for the info. I very much hope that this solution will work for my 2004 3.0 A4. Had intermittent CEL with random misfires on 4,5,6 for some time. New plugs, new coil packs (courtesy of AUDI main dealer on a recall - on a 10 year old car, thumbs up to them), new MAF.

Still the same with now suddenly running rough/stalling at idle/low speed, then OK for a while.

Your description is the closest I've come across in hours of searching.

I await the delivery from China.
Excellent, but did you also have a 1,100 RPM idle in drive with your foot on the brake right out of an ample time warm-up like at the next red light or stop sign?

My issue also did include what felt like a misfire without a flashing cel or any DTC's (tell tails) in vagcom for just a short time

Watch the youtube video as the man clearly shows how to block the port to determine the failure of the CCV, and because of the constant way below freezing temps this winter I suspected that mine was a result of frozen moisture latent oil "tan butter" causing the vacuum hissing because the diaphragm pin was not seating, a real legit CCV failure would be a torn diaphragm and would warrant replacement as I just cleaned my old one and put in the spare parts bin.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well, yes, the revs definitely increased spontaneously at lights etc and misfire/loss of power. This situation has only occurred a few times and isn't consistent. The only thing that is consistent is that the CEL will nearly always flash occasionally on just about any trip over a few miles, resulting in error code random multiple misfires on 4.5.6 but no loss of power.

Pulled the CCV, full of emulsified oil (lots of short trips). I don't know what the OK state of this is as I've never pulled it before but I cleaned it out and now not getting the actual missing/power loss (just the 4.5.6 error code)

However, I don't know what an OK valve looks like but this one doesn't appear to be right to me... it's wide open, just straight through.

Anyway, new one is on it's way.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, yes, the revs definitely increased spontaneously at lights etc and misfire/loss of power. This situation has only occurred a few times and isn't consistent. The only thing that is consistent is that the CEL will nearly always flash occasionally on just about any trip over a few miles, resulting in error code random multiple misfires on 4.5.6 but no loss of power.

Pulled the CCV, full of emulsified oil (lots of short trips). I don't know what the OK state of this is as I've never pulled it before but I cleaned it out and now not getting the actual missing/power loss (just the 4.5.6 error code)

However, I don't know what an OK valve looks like but this one doesn't appear to be right to me... it's wide open, just straight through.

Anyway, new one is on it's way.
Are the misfire error codes current or old?
If your running good now just clear them.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

They are current, have cleared them but they come back

Have now replaced the vacuum valve but still getting random multiple misfires on 4,5,6 accompanied by flashing CEL, although stuttering from lights etc has stopped and no noticeable power loss.

So far:

New coil packs (Audi)
New MAF sensor (Audi)
New vaccumm valve as above
New brake switch (Audi)
New Plugs (Bosch)

Flashing CEL seems to occur randomly, just cruising along steadily and VAGcom then reports misfires.

At a loss, only thing I can think of is a possible slight vacuum leak somewhere.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

They are current, have cleared them but they come back

Have now replaced the vacuum valve but still getting random multiple misfires on 4,5,6 accompanied by flashing CEL, although stuttering from lights etc has stopped and no noticeable power loss.

So far:

New coil packs (Audi)
New MAF sensor (Audi)
New vaccumm valve as above
New brake switch (Audi)
New Plugs (Bosch)

Flashing CEL seems to occur randomly, just cruising along steadily and VAGcom then reports misfires.

At a loss, only thing I can think of is a possible slight vacuum leak somewhere.
Well now I'm thinking CPS "Crank Position Sensor" as much as I hate to say this it will throw a code but then on the 3.0 it will not? I know WTF.

Can you post the vagcom DTC's?