Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Might be saying farewell to our Q5

Old 12-23-2012, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be saying farewell to our Q5

After 2 years of owning the beauty and loving every min of it, a farewell is to be seen the forecast. The Q was purchased for my wife but now all I hear is how rough, harsh the ride is. The rear seats re like rocks blah blah blah.. I don't argue anymore so we are now in the market of buying something else.. We test drove the 2013 Rx350 and yes it was boring as S**t but man I forgot what comfortable was like. My wife is really leaning towards it. She did however like the F sport and I didn't even encourage her! Has anyone test driven it? they dealership we went to did not have one. We will go to another to test drive it..Also, the best trade in amount I can get for my 2011 P+ with 14.5k miles is $36.1k. bought the ride for $42.5. Could I get more or not bad after 2 years?

thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea to test drive the F Sport RX350. Pay special attention to the ride, if that's real improtant to your wife. I came from a Lexus (not a RX) and read several posts on Club Lexus from buyers who thought the F Sport had too harsh of a ride. I know they're personal opinions, but worth a close look.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Would love to hear first hand comparisons to the Q5 Vs F Sport ride comfort.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I have gathered the F-sport is a dog in terms of straight line acceleration/throttle response. We didn't even consider it because of that. Have you tried the 2013 Q5's? Felt smooth as silk to me, maybe a suspension difference?

That trade-in is INSANE!!! 2 years, a model refresh, and 15k miles later and you only lost $6k??? Thats amazing!!!!!!! I can't speak from Q5 experience but in the general automotive word, that seems off the hook. What was your original MSRP?
Old 12-24-2012, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rory breaker
From what I have gathered the F-sport is a dog in terms of straight line acceleration/throttle response. We didn't even consider it because of that. Have you tried the 2013 Q5's? Felt smooth as silk to me, maybe a suspension difference?

That trade-in is INSANE!!! 2 years, a model refresh, and 15k miles later and you only lost $6k??? Thats amazing!!!!!!! I can't speak from Q5 experience but in the general automotive word, that seems off the hook. What was your original MSRP?

I am trying to convince my wife on checking out the new Q5 but was afraid of the same sporty drive. if you say that it's "smooth as silk" then its worth a test drive. Will report back on how the Fsport is. I also heard that its only cosmetics and firmer suspension on the F sport.. But with the new 8 speed tranny its suppose to have the slight advantage over the 6 in terms of performance, which at this point I could care less.

The trade in amount was after some haggle. I doubt another dealership will give a better trade in. MSRP if I remember was 46k and some change.. This was when they were trying to get rid of the 3.2's
Old 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

When you test drive the RX350 F-sport, pay close attention to the 8 speed and how it shifts. Both my wife and I took one for a test drive a few months ago and we both hated how the 8 speed shifted. Seemed like it would wander a lot and when you went to accelerate quickly it would lag. It turned us both off.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyn78
After 2 years of owning the beauty and loving every min of it, a farewell is to be seen the forecast. The Q was purchased for my wife but now all I hear is how rough, harsh the ride is. The rear seats re like rocks blah blah blah.. I don't argue anymore so we are now in the market of buying something else.. We test drove the 2013 Rx350 and yes it was boring as S**t but man I forgot what comfortable was like. My wife is really leaning towards it. She did however like the F sport and I didn't even encourage her! Has anyone test driven it? they dealership we went to did not have one. We will go to another to test drive it..Also, the best trade in amount I can get for my 2011 P+ with 14.5k miles is $36.1k. bought the ride for $42.5. Could I get more or not bad after 2 years?

thanks
I bought RX350 almost one year ago-have not been in the dealer since (except for maintenace). It IS boring, and you need to SLOW DOWN before making a turn (significant body roll compared to Q5), but the roads where we live are not great, so Q5 seems too harsh (and RX is a bit too soft).
Wife said (after driving RX full day):"good car to sit in and make phone calls"...NAV screen is way better then in Q5.

Two things can be done to "improve" the ride on Q5:
1. if your wife is alone most of the time, keep tire pressure at 29PSI (which is recommended by Audi for up to 3 people).
2. I put Michelins Pilot MXM4 tires which made noticable improvement in ride quality. The Dunlops I took off at 19K could easy go another 10K miles...
Old 12-25-2012, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

M1964-

"I put Michelins Pilot MXM4 tires which made noticable improvement in ride quality. The Dunlops I took off at 19K could easy go another 10K miles..."

I too am looking at the Michelin Pilot MXM4 tires to replace my Goodyears on my 2010 Q5.

Are they more quiet, smoother, better handling, etc.,?

Did not mean to hijack the thread...
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would look into possibily changing your current set of tires for new, perhaps different brands. My 2010 Q5 3.2 P+ came with 235/55-19 GY LS2's, when I changed them out after a couple of years for a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X's,same size, the ride was MUCH smoother and softer. I didn't mind the stiffness of the GY's, but it was nice to change over to the Yoko's. It did become slightly less sporty, but that's the price you pay to have a softer tire.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Q5KCMO
I would look into possibily changing your current set of tires for new, perhaps different brands. My 2010 Q5 3.2 P+ came with 235/55-19 GY LS2's, when I changed them out after a couple of years for a set of Yokohama Parada Spec-X's,same size, the ride was MUCH smoother and softer. I didn't mind the stiffness of the GY's, but it was nice to change over to the Yoko's. It did become slightly less sporty, but that's the price you pay to have a softer tire.
Update:

long story short- pulled the trigger on a 2013 RX350 Fsport thinking it was best of both worlds. Somewhat comfortable and somewhat sporty but thts an understatement coming from an RX350!

drove all the way home all depressed and realized when we got home that we made the biggest mistake.. I called back and canceled the whole order. Keeping the Q5 and will get the Yokohama's for a softer feel.. thanks for the advice..

Aint gonna lie, Lexus has A class service though, which I will be missed.. Shame on Audi in that department but will take the better looking and nicer ride over it anyday

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Might be saying farewell to our Q5