Audi Original "S" Cars Discussion forum for the Audi Audi Ur S4, Ur S6, S2 & RS2

Problem with my Instument Cluster

Old 11-28-2009, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Problem with my Instument Cluster

Well i bought the car a few weeks ago, and the factory stereo was not working so i dedcided to go with an Aftermarket Unit, I received it a few days ago, but it was missing the Harness, so a friend of mine told me he had one for an Audi, but as it turned out it was the wrong one, he did some wiring (cutting and connecting) and everything started working except the speakers. I was so pissed of i went to my cusing (who is a mechanic) and he ordered the correct Harness pluged it in, and BOOM the speakers started working, but thy buzz and everything i shut the radio off the speakers POP lod, he told me they need to be re-wired and he will do it when he has time. I have been driving the car for almost 2 days and then i turned the lights on but the cluster was DEAD. i checked the fuse which is a 5AMP, and it was blown, so i put a new fuse and as soon as i put a new one it blew right again, decided to do it one more time and same thing. I had no more 5AMPs so i put a 10 which did not blow but the cluster light still did not work. My Cusin is telling me that i might have blown out the cluster, and might need a new one. However when the CLuster lights went bad the lights around the Climate control went dead as well, and are still dead, so im hoping a problem might not be cluster related but maybe a RELAY, or something my idiot friend wired up and maybe has a wire touching something. What would be the basic things to check before spedning $$$ for a used cluster

Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search on here for the Bosectomy, there is a funky amp system installed in the car. Your choise are basically to run new wires to the speakers or bypass the amps.