Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sound upgrade for a 2012 Audi TTS with navigation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound upgrade for a 2012 Audi TTS with navigation?

Hi,

I have a 2012 Audi TTS with MMI, navigation, and the OEM iPod adapter. The stereo is decent, but I'm thinking about upgrading it. Is there anything I can upgrade, or are the electronics so integrated that I can't change anything?

Thanks for your help,

James
Old 03-26-2014, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i would also like to change my stero out, i have a 2011 a6 3.0t but did not get the bose radio upgrade.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yes

Originally Posted by jamesastro
Hi,

I have a 2012 Audi TTS with MMI, navigation, and the OEM iPod adapter. The stereo is decent, but I'm thinking about upgrading it. Is there anything I can upgrade, or are the electronics so integrated that I can't change anything?

Thanks for your help,

James
Many ways to upgrade which all depend on what you're looking for. I personally didn't like the flat-ish sound so I replaced my dash tweets (2011 Q5 with 2nd level 'Audi Sound', 10 speaker/190 watt system. Had to do some dremeling but was able to fit 2.5 inch JL coaxials in there. ($100) Big difference.

However, you can have pro shops upgrade any/all speakers, tap larger amps off audi amp. Add sub and dedicated sub amp. Or go full gonzo and do all that but first adding a fav in these forums.. and very expensive JBL MS-8 Processor.($800) do some searching and reading. lots of options.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Beckola,

Thanks for mentioning the JBL MS-8 processor. I've been researching it all weekend, and it sounds like people are pretty impressed with it.

I wonder how it will handle the 12-speaker Bose system in the Audi TT though? The MS-8 only supports 8 channels. Have you heard of anyone using it with a 12-speaker system?

James
Old 04-14-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Channels

I just googled your car. If you have 12 speakers you have the Bose surround system for TT and it has an 8 channel amp. Number of speakers has nothing to do with number of channels
Old 04-15-2014, 11:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Beckola. Thanks for the info about the number of channels. That will come in handy if I decide to add the JBL MS-8.

I was carefully listening to my stereo the other day, and I realized that I'm actually pretty happy with the sound, except for two things:

1) There are a lot of internal vibrations when playing music. Most of the vibrations come from the rear seat panels, some from the doors, and a few from the front speaker grills. I think these vibrations are the biggest problem with the stereo, and they will still be present even if I add the JBL MS-8. The panels vibrate so much that they are essentially becoming part of the speakers system (in a bad way).

2) The bass sounds out of control, and the crossover is set too high. If you turn up the bass to hear a good "thud", then the mid bass cranks up too, and it sounds terrible.

I took the car into a local stereo shop yesterday, described the problems to them, and they had several good suggestions: They suggested installing Dynamat Extreme in the doors, rear seat panels, and some in the hatchback side panels. This will greatly reduce the vibrations, and it will reduce road noise also. They also suggested adding an 8" subwoofer with it's own amp in the hatchback. This should improve the bass quality, provider a deeper "thud", and it will give me control over the crossover. It will also let me turn down the bass on the factory speakers, which should reduce the vibrations in the doors.

I'll let you guys know it goes. Hopefully this will improve the sound a bit.