A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Lowering '02 A6 3.0 to '04 A6 S-Line stance

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nialist: what type of tires you got on ur S6 and how do you rate them??

Originally Posted by Nialist
I have an 04 S Line with eiback pro springs and i think the same wheels you mentioned. You will end up with a lot stiffer ride and have to watch for potholes and such. Get an improved sway bar kit if you go this route and your handling will be incredibly different. Roundabouts at 50mph can be fun. But in my opinion, just a mean looking stance and somehow never attracts attention from the law (knocks on wood).
Old 01-29-2014, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lt.FrankDrebin
My 2002 A6 looks goofy. 1) the 16" wheels look too small. 2) it sits too high, especially in the front. I just bought a set of those 9 spoke 18" "Celebration" 58773 wheels as used on the '03/'04 A6 s line. Now, I just have to bring the car down a bit; I'm thinking almost 2" in the front and maybe only 1" in the back. Question is- how should I do it? I don't want the ride quality to change. How is the A6 3.0 and the 2.7 s line front suspensions different that makes the 2.7 sit lower? Different struts? For only 1" drop, I can probably just change out the springs?
S-Line was just a trim package for the standard 2004 2.7T that gave: a slight power increase to 265hp + Sport suspension + trunk spoiler + 18" wheels + S-Line badging on the rear doors.

The 2004 S-Line used the same suspension as every other C5 A6 which got the Sport package; 30% stiffer swaybars, 40% stiffer dampers and springs which lower the car by 20mm (0.76") compared to the OE non-Sport suspension. The Sport dampers, springs and swaybars are a direct swap. That said, you probably don't want used 10yr dampers and OE replacements will be far more expensive than aftermarket. Coilovers will give you a lot more control over your ride height but if you already have the sport springs a set of decent dampers like Bilstein or Koni Yellows will work just as well. Also, unless you already have the sport swaybars, I wouldn't waste your time/money buying those either. Hotchkis H-Sports are much better/lighter and relatively cheap about about $450 for the full kit. H-Sports are far and away the best bang for your buck mod you'll find for every C5 A6 from the 2.8 all the way up to the RS6, they make a significant difference in handling feel.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I run a set of 235 40 r18 michelin primacy's. The old lady's family dealership got them for me for a steal, so had to score them. I also run a set of potenz'a that are 245 35 r 18. The difference is drastic. Summer is the Potenza's time and the Michelins I swap in when I'm bored in the garage. I bet I change tires and or rotate them every 800-1200 miles. Seems stupid but it only takes me 20-30 minutes to do, and that my friend, is 20 minutes less hearing about the little lady's current crisis/nemeses at work.

The Michelins are 5x more comfortable(shock absorption) and they hold up well enough when i take an on ramp a bit more aggressive than usual. The Potenza's are my first bridgestone tire. They look cool, but that's where i'd stop with comparing the two. Sure it's cornering is better, but it's dimension of 245/35 is slightly wider, so it should be. I think it's louder at cruising speeds around 65, transmits every mosquito or other insect you intentionally crush directly to the chassis and subsequently your body, and i am sure i felt the sidewall roll on me one day on a local county road high speed turn. But one thing i can say about them is I drove from work to my golf club one day and when i parked a buddy remarked that my left rear tire was flat when coming into the lot. No idea when it lost pressure, but a 40 mile drive at 70-80mph and never felt a bit of difference in the ride. Oh, and i am particular about many things and i always at least note tire serviceability when mounting that chariot!

There are many tire companies out there that i never tried, but wanted to. When you make a decision, let me know your thoughts on them if you could as i like to hear
Old 01-29-2014, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the feedback. I was looking on a couple of sites this morning and decided to go with the michelin primacy (even before seeing ur response) or the michelin pilot sport AS. Everywhere I read i have seen good reviews. The pilot sport is what i have on the car now (OEM wheels) and plan to store those as back ups for these new wheels I am getting.

So right now the decision is between the primacy and the pilot sport.

Thanks again

Originally Posted by Nialist
I run a set of 235 40 r18 michelin primacy's. The old lady's family dealership got them for me for a steal, so had to score them. I also run a set of potenz'a that are 245 35 r 18. The difference is drastic. Summer is the Potenza's time and the Michelins I swap in when I'm bored in the garage. I bet I change tires and or rotate them every 800-1200 miles. Seems stupid but it only takes me 20-30 minutes to do, and that my friend, is 20 minutes less hearing about the little lady's current crisis/nemeses at work.

The Michelins are 5x more comfortable(shock absorption) and they hold up well enough when i take an on ramp a bit more aggressive than usual. The Potenza's are my first bridgestone tire. They look cool, but that's where i'd stop with comparing the two. Sure it's cornering is better, but it's dimension of 245/35 is slightly wider, so it should be. I think it's louder at cruising speeds around 65, transmits every mosquito or other insect you intentionally crush directly to the chassis and subsequently your body, and i am sure i felt the sidewall roll on me one day on a local county road high speed turn. But one thing i can say about them is I drove from work to my golf club one day and when i parked a buddy remarked that my left rear tire was flat when coming into the lot. No idea when it lost pressure, but a 40 mile drive at 70-80mph and never felt a bit of difference in the ride. Oh, and i am particular about many things and i always at least note tire serviceability when mounting that chariot!

There are many tire companies out there that i never tried, but wanted to. When you make a decision, let me know your thoughts on them if you could as i like to hear
Old 01-31-2014, 06:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a correction. My Potenza's are 255 35 18. I could sen you a pic of them up close if you would like to see the profile comparison. The primacy's are not as aggressive looking and don't have that almost 90 degree angle between the sidewall and tread surface that your pilot's most likely have. But, i don't really care about how these ones look in that respect as they are more of my commuter tire. BTW, i do get a slightly better mileage compared to the potenza's but this may be because i drive like a madman with the potenza's on!!!!! Send me a PM if you want those pics. Hope you enjoy whatever ones you decide to go with like i have.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default s-line springs

Hi

I have a few questions. I have a 2000 a6 2.7. I have a set of 2004 a6 s-line springs and shocks. I like the way my auto fill on the road. If I exchange the shocks and springs, how much of a drop can I expect. I do not want a big drop. Will you help me with my delima.

Ron
Old 02-12-2014, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OEM Non-Sport -> OEM Sport = 30mm drop
Old 02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Lt.FrankDrebin
Could the "red shock" sport strut assemblies be installed in a non-sport suspension? I could get complete used sport suspension strut assemblies. Or, in an effort to go cheap and try to maintain the ride quality, could some of the bar just above the mounting bracket at the lower end out the strut be cut out and the bracket arc welded back on? All I want is 1" - 1.5" drop at the wheel, so I figure removing about 3/4" from the shock would get me in that range. Wonder if this has ever been done before. It's not a big drop, so I don't think there would be risk of wheel bottoming out.
ST coil overs are 760 bucks at ECSTuning.com. Check periodically and you can find a deal. I just bought a set for 3 bills. Scratch and dent on the box? Meh, parts are all good to go, so that's the route i went.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Dont want ride qaulity to change? Pretty much impossible. That said, i would go for a quality coilover adjustable system such as ST or its big brother KW. Good comfort, excellent handling. Be careful slamming. Be careful also with a big rake - can impact corner weighting adversely. Get a really good alignment, but dont fret the increased negative camber - if done by a real pro it works out just fine.

I am always worried when people's rationale begins with appearance and bling. It rarely turns out well. Engineering works. follow it.

G