Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Owner Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

I couldn't be happier with the Q5. The S4 was my favorite DD, but the Q5 runs a close 2nd.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalancroft
(Have you ever noticed that the smaller the children, the more space you need? Pak 'n' Plays, diaper bags, strollers, etc.)
Agree on this 100%. Mine are only 1 and 4, but already we are downgrading to something smaller. My wife is coming from a Nissan Pathfinder which has been a great SUV. In fact I am keeping it for me, but her every day car will be the new Q5. We are both excited for this arrival in Feb.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my 2012 2.0T P+ for a bit over a year and a half now. My last car was a Corvette, my wife has an Infinity EX35. All have been really good cars, but I am really enjoying my Q5. I think that it is an ideal combination of practical luxury, reasonable economy, technology and performance.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrrun2fast
I bought it because my wife wanted it... I wanted an allroad. I'm completely satisfied with it after a year of ownership. At first, I wanted to get rid of it because it was having steering issues, but it was finally fixed with the update. In addition, I recently had an allroad as a loaner and I realized the Q5 is simply a better vehicle to own when comparing utility and ride.
I liked so much about my Q5 except for the steering. I was pretty bummed out about it. Once the update was done, I REALLY like this car. I was heading in the direction of the 2.0T, but since availability was so poor, I bought the V6. LOVE IT! So smooth and quick. I don't regret it at all. I traded in a more expensive car so I was getting money back anyway. I sell Toyotas and just last week I was moving a RAV4 that I sold to the back of the property. The Q5 is SO much nicer. Of course, for the price difference, it should be better. It was yet another moment of appreciation for my own car. I am coming up on the one year anniversary with no unscheduled repairs.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Grain of salt on those surveys Bob.

What it really means is, "Would you do what you did again?" as in "Were there any surprises?"

I suspect most Audi buyers have either looked very carefully, or experienced the car, or had some particular reason for buying it.

I understand some 100,000+ Ford Escape buyers got recall notices this week, I'll bet they were not expecting "you may have an engine fire" when they bought the car.

So far my Q5 isn't everything I expected, but it hits all the MAJOR points. I'd like to find the designer who thought flush roof rails were a good idea, they mean you can lash anything across the roof, which is the way any loadmaster would secure a load. But of course, I can't blame that on Audi, I never even THOUGHT about paying attention to those racks until it was all my fault.<G>
Old 12-10-2013, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Possible correction?

Originally Posted by Redd
I'd like to find the designer who thought flush roof rails were a good idea, they mean you can lash anything across the roof, which is the way any loadmaster would secure a load. But of course, I can't blame that on Audi, I never even THOUGHT about paying attention to those racks until it was all my fault.<G>
Did you mean "can't," as in cannot, lash anything across the roof? I used my Mazda's CX-9 rack one time per year on average -- hauling our Christmas tree! Guess it will have to go inside the Q5 and the rest of the family will have to ride in my wife's S4 Cab.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"Did you mean "can't," as in cannot, lash anything across the roof? "
Yes! Must have slipped a digit there.

Sometimes I wonder what "they" were smoking. Flush mounting the rails, to keep wind noise down. Which then requires the bulky crossrails (and they are chubbier than most) to be kept on the car all the time...radically increasing noise and drag.

I need rails about as often as you do, so "one of these days" I'll get around to fiddling with some ideas about low-profile attachments to just give me a couple of lashing rings on each side. Maybe I should make that a KickStarter Project ? <VBG>
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have about 1500 miles on ours. It is my wife's DD. I get to drive it when it needs to be cleaned or fueled up . We went on a road trip over Thanksgiving and I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised with the car. Power, economy, comfort were all there along with some of that FUN factor that you must have. Am I happy with my purchase, yes. Will we buy another, I do not know. My wife does not have any brand loyalty, it is all about what she likes when it comes time to get a new one.