Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How to get Radio Text to display on Presets view for non-Sirius?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 03:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get Radio Text to display on Presets view for non-Sirius?

I haven't been able to figure out how to get Radio Text that displays song/artist information on the Presets view for regular radio stations. If I go into the manual tuning view for one of those stations, I can see the song/artist but can't figure out how to display this the same way Sirius Radio Text is displayed on the Presets view? (I'm guessing it is a bug and I'm out of luck)
Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can't. Plain radio stations use RDS that is only capable to display whatever station transmits. And it is up to them to choose what it is, not necessarily artist/title/album data...
Old 12-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mirekmal
You can't. Plain radio stations use RDS that is only capable to display whatever station transmits. And it is up to them to choose what it is, not necessarily artist/title/album data...
But I can see that information just fine on the manual tuning view of the station but I can't see it when I'm viewing that same station as a preset.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeydust
I haven't been able to figure out how to get Radio Text that displays song/artist information on the Presets view for regular radio stations. If I go into the manual tuning view for one of those stations, I can see the song/artist but can't figure out how to display this the same way Sirius Radio Text is displayed on the Presets view? (I'm guessing it is a bug and I'm out of luck)
You will not see all that stuff the same way as the Sirius. You may see it scrolling on the station line as long as you aren't using PRESETS.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed this problem as well - it seems as if the "station text spot" has stuck at whatever point when I added it to presets - so it is basically garbage and never been updated.

Even if I select a station from the station, it does not update.

Going out of presets I DO see this. I'm talking about FM.

This is surely an issue or something I'm misunderstanding, no?
The following users liked this post:
dzankou (11-02-2021)
Old 12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
I noticed this problem as well - it seems as if the "station text spot" has stuck at whatever point when I added it to presets - so it is basically garbage and never been updated.

Even if I select a station from the station, it does not update.

Going out of presets I DO see this. I'm talking about FM.

This is surely an issue or something I'm misunderstanding, no?
Yes, that is exactly what I am talking about.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

I believe this is 'overengineered' feature that uses current RDS data as station name while storing in presets.
Not 100% sure, but I think that while presets list on MMI is static, DIS displays in top of the screen line the real-time/dynamic RDS data. But I could be mistaken, as I use mix of presets and ad-hoc tuning to different stations.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mirekmal
I believe this is 'overengineered' feature that uses current RDS data as station name while storing in presets.
Not 100% sure, but I think that while presets list on MMI is static, DIS displays in top of the screen line the real-time/dynamic RDS data. But I could be mistaken, as I use mix of presets and ad-hoc tuning to different stations.
Yeah, apart from the original problem that I described, it can be a bit of a pain adding a FM station to your presets because you have to time it right so you get the station name to display in your preset list and not part of the song/artist name. Took me about 5-6 tries when I was adding a new station last week.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk about over engineered, on my A3 all I had to do to change the fan speed was press a button,, on the Q5 i have to press a button, turn a **** and then press a button.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am finding that when I start the car, for awhile the station that I am actually on is not highlighted on the screen. Another goofy trait.

Another one is that when I use bluetooth streaming on my iphone, the time counter doesn't work. It works on my 2014 A5. I told the service department about it. They made some calls. No fix.

Quick Reply: How to get Radio Text to display on Presets view for non-Sirius?