A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an a8 but no tv signal and start button doesnt work. just

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snapdragon
Yes, try a new CR2032 battery in the key fob.
You flick out the blade and then in the gap where the blade was you can pop off the battery cover on the side with the logo with your fingers. The old one can be flicked out with a coctail stick, you can also clean and realign the contacts if tehy look like they need it.

TV tuner is analogue as said already.
I plan to buy something like this...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...540284334.html
and mount it with the analogue one in the boot, but extend the remote's IR sensor for the remote into the car by unsoldering it and soldering it on the end of some thin speaker wire.

This tuner has dual antenna.....does our original analogue unit have 2 or 4 antenna.

You would need FAKRA adaptors for the antenna plugs and also the AUX IN retrofit wires adding to the analogues' loom.

Good luck.

Snap, I wouldnt reccomend using the internal Fakra's they are powered, obviosly mag mounts are out for us , so only option is the rear screen, 2 of them get quite a good signal also there are a lot of aftermarket tuner units available which already have a plugin remote eye, I just fed mine through and placed it in between the centre headrest, can hardly been seen but works fine. I tried a cheap tuner unit of ebay, and it worked ok when not travelling, the most annoying thing was the need to constantly retune the channels, the more expensive units can auto tune and follow the signal wherever you go. but worth it in my opinion.

Thing you need to ask yourself is , if you buy an aftermarket good quality tuner, plus the aux sockets , plus the antennas, all the faff in putting it in, not forgetting you may also need a power switch or there will be a constant drain on the battery even when on standby. how close are you to OEM prices?

I picked my hybrid up for £350, no antennas on the back window, it just works perfectly, all from the MMI.

If you dont care much and its only for occasional use, and you dont mind the antennas and the remote eye etc then you could do it cheap for under £100 all in. but you get what you pay for
Old 12-08-2013, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snapdragon
Yes, try a new CR2032 battery in the key fob.
You flick out the blade and then in the gap where the blade was you can pop off the battery cover on the side with the logo with your fingers. The old one can be flicked out with a coctail stick, you can also clean and realign the contacts if tehy look like they need it.

TV tuner is analogue as said already.
I plan to buy something like this...
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-...540284334.html
and mount it with the analogue one in the boot, but extend the remote's IR sensor for the remote into the car by unsoldering it and soldering it on the end of some thin speaker wire.

This tuner has dual antenna.....does our original analogue unit have 2 or 4 antenna.

You would need FAKRA adaptors for the antenna plugs and also the AUX IN retrofit wires adding to the analogues' loom.

Good luck.
HI. Both batteries replaced on fobs and I can use the start button and stop button whoop whoop! When I press stop to turn off ignition the message 'no key identified' comes up, though.

I can stand by the boot with the car locked and it'll open just because I am holding the key fob. However, the doors won't open or lock without me pressing the buttons on the fob. Pressing the lock button on the driver's door handle doesn't lock the car either. Is there a setting on the MMI that I need to change?

I appreciate the advice regarding the TV. I think I'll wait for a while before playing with that bit. However, it would be good to be able to play my iPhone throughout the Bose system. I have paired the phone so I can make and receive calls but I guess there is no bluetooth music input? I have aux 1 and aux 2 options on the MMI but can't see an input anywhere.

Am beginning to learn the voice commands but it must be funny hearing me arguing with the MMI because I forgot to change the to Navigation, or Radio etc, before giving instructions!

Thanks again for the invaluable advice.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

PS even with the new batteries I have to wave the remote around right next to the door and try a few times to get it to unlock,
Old 12-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by colinhelen
PS even with the new batteries I have to wave the remote around right next to the door and try a few times to get it to unlock,
probably best to get a vcds scan done, maybe the antennas are not working well
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

It can be your car battery. If it is low Power Management shuts off unnecessary functions. Is it any better immediately after a longer drive?
Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mishar
It can be your car battery. If it is low Power Management shuts off unnecessary functions. Is it any better immediately after a longer drive?
Hi, the battery check on MMI says 100% and I drove it 150 miles yesterday. I am guessing it's a sensor problem in the doors, as it works on the boot OK?

Not a massive issue, just an annoyance as I like things to work as they should. But the car is a lovely drive, and so far everything else works OK.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Limoncello
probably best to get a vcds scan done, maybe the antennas are not working well
Sounds like a plan, whatever a VCDS scan is!
Old 12-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds like a plan, whatever a VCDS scan is!
its computer software that plugs in the car via a lead , then can scan the car for errors, its similar to the gear that audi use when you go in a main dealers.

you might have more luck in finding someone near you with vcds on a UK forum, most guys will help out and scan your car for you

try http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/