A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone identify this part?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone identify this part?

Trying to figure out what this is exactly so I can fix it. Small speaker I believe, on the b-pillar just behind the passenger seat. It has started making a "white noise" sound after turning the car off followed by a loud pop a minute or two later. Extremely irritating. Your help is appreciated
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Does your car have OnStar? What model year do you have?
Old 11-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
Does your car have OnStar? What model year do you have?
It does have OnStar. Not active obviously as I guess the technology is too old. Its a 2004.

I did just recently have to replace the battery and I'm waiting on my Ross-Tech vag-com to arrive to recode it. Not sure if it's related. Been going on for a while.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by onemeansaleen
It does have OnStar. Not active obviously as I guess the technology is too old. Its a 2004.

I did just recently have to replace the battery and I'm waiting on my Ross-Tech vag-com to arrive to recode it. Not sure if it's related. Been going on for a while.
That is part of the OnStar system. Pull the fuse for the OnStar system. The OnStar module has an internal battery that will take a week to drain. Or, pop that grill off and disconnect the wires.

Last edited by Mister Bally; 12-01-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mister Bally

That is part of the OnStar system. Pull the fuse for the OnStar system. The OnStar module has an internal battery that will take a week to drain. Or, pop that grill off and disconnect the wires.
Okay awesome! Glad to know it's something I don't need at all. I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the help
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Update:
Got my Ross-Tech VCDS in yesterday and got a full scan. New battery is coded and seems to be working properly. Still having this issue with the emergency battery and static noise.

Will the backup battery recharge now with a new coded battery and just take some time? (I replaced the main battery a week ago and just recently re coded w/VCDS)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 75: Telematics Labels: None
Part No SW: 4E0 910 616 HW: 4E0 035 616
Component: Telematik USA1 0050
Revision: 00000002 Serial number: 0000ATD3005798
Coding: 0000005
Shop #: WSC 23436 444 53498
VCID: E0CFD9AF3091591E743-5140

1 Fault Found:
01531 - Emergency Battery
002 - Lower Limit Exceeded - MIL ON
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I did try to find a fuse for OnStar and didn't find anything listed in the owners manual. I'm guessing that it's embedded with another system.
Off topic slightly but is there a way to update our antique OnStar? Haven't found anything on it in the forum but it would be nice to have for my wife's "prego brain"

LOVE THE VCDS!!!
Old 12-05-2013, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

That module doesn't work anyways. It is OnStar. In the second part of 2005 replaced with Bluetooth. It is under drivers carpet.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
That module doesn't work anyways. It is OnStar. In the second part of 2005 replaced with Bluetooth. It is under drivers carpet.
I can live without OnStar & bluetooth, no problem. Will the emergency battery eventually charge back up and stop the speaker static and popping noise?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think so. If it was rechargeable it wouldn't be down at all. It has nothing to do with battery coding. I don't think that is the cause for the static noise. I had same module and dead battery but I didn't have any such noise. Pop out that thing and unplug it.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mishar
I don't think so. If it was rechargeable it wouldn't be down at all. It has nothing to do with battery coding. I don't think that is the cause for the static noise. I had same module and dead battery but I didn't have any such noise. Pop out that thing and unplug it.
Going off what Mister Bally said, I was thinking that the energy management system didn't recognize the new battery until it was coded and somehow that prevented the emergency battery from recharging?
I do see your point if the backup battery doesn't charge from the alternator or is plain worn out like the start battery was.

I'm not 100% opposed to just pulling a fuse like Mister Bally suggested if I can ID the correct one. Is OnStar going to be lumped in with a telematics fuse perhaps? And will there be any faults/repercussions from pulling the fuse once I find it?

This car is WAY more electrically integrated than I'm used to. Makes me timid to do anything on it and I'm a decent mechanic.
Thanks for all the help guys!

Quick Reply: Can anyone identify this part?