Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Voice command on A5/S5 cabrio

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice command on A5/S5 cabrio

I have recently purchased an A5 Sline cabrio and have found out that the voice command is deactivated at the Audi factory on all A5/S5 cabrios. Something to do with idiots complaining that it wasn't working well with the top down, so to prevent complaints, they deactivated it. I found a dealer who would try and activate it, but he failed. Has anyone succeeded in reactivating their voice command and how please?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is a well covered topic and unfortunately the only way to do this is to get the VAG COM cable.

Once you buy the cable, sharding has posted the instructions for how to activate it.
http://sharding.org/blog/2011/02/02/...e-recognition/

With VAG COM you can do some other stuff too like turn off the "wink" with your turn signal, but truthfully it's kind of pricey so it's a personal decision whether this is worth it. To me it was as I use the voice command a fair bit.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Can you tell me how much the Vag Com cable is and as a non-mechanic, would I be able to do this myself without screwing up anything?
Old 12-21-2012, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

$349 for software and cable. The cable is cheap...

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

You can probably find it cheaper on ebay. Or you can probably get your dealer to change the code for you. Its very minor/easy to do.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HEAT1955
Can you tell me how much the Vag Com cable is and as a non-mechanic, would I be able to do this myself without screwing up anything?
Yes you're more likely to want to be a computer programmer than a mechanic for this as you don't do anything under the hood but rather entirely on your computer. That being said, it is really simple.

One thing I would do is copy the existing codes before you make any changes just in case (e.g. there's some default code that you need to change one digit in to enable voice command).
Old 01-07-2013, 05:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank's Toronto S5. I think I'll keep trying to find someone to do it for me....My dealer tried, to no avail ! If anyone knows someone in the Montreal area that can do this, well, much obliged ! Happy New Year1
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DavidRS4
$349 for software and cable. The cable is cheap...

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

You can probably find it cheaper on ebay. Or you can probably get your dealer to change the code for you. Its very minor/easy to do.
Thank's bud! I just don't know why my dealer tried and failed, or did he really try...? Before I buy all this stuff gotta make sure I can make it work. Thank's David!
Old 04-21-2014, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am also looking to activate my voice command for my S5 cabrio. got the link for cable and softwear lic. What do I do once I get all of this?
domd
Old 04-21-2014, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can see cheap cables on ebay for this for like $10. Is there also software needed? I am not the most technical guy in the world but think this doesn't sound like rocket science...

Or, is there anyone in the Denver area willing to help me with this for some $?
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Badlanders:

Try this link and see if you can zero in on anyone in the Denver area who can help you out:

http://www.maptive.com/ver3/VCDS_Locator

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Voice command on A5/S5 cabrio