Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Occasional Bad Starts on 2010 Q5

Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occasional Bad Starts on 2010 Q5

Hi All, I have a 2010 Q5 i got back in July 2010 with about 3K miles on it. Sometimes when i go to start the car it will start but the tach will stutter at very low RPM's and the car keeps cranking. As if it cant catch. And it just goes and goes. If i blip the gas the RPM's bump up and all is ok. I have not and don't want to let it go for too long to see if it actually catches on its own. This has happened on cold starts and re-starts. And I am certain I am firmly pressing on the brake and the key fob.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Have a 2011 3.2, but haven't experienced that at all. Sounds like a trip to the dealer may be in order. Hope it gets fixed.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have 7500 miles on my 2010, and have not encountered this. I too vote for the trip to the dealer. Keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Another vote for the dealer. I suspect you have codes that have been thrown and can be read with a VAG-COM that friends may have. Otherwise a dealer can and will be able to solve the issue.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm no expert by any means however have you eliminated bad gas as a culprit?

Also, on re-starts how long has the motor been running/ is it up to temp?

-Rudy
Old 11-22-2010, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have that issue with my Q. It happens at random and it doesn't matter if it is winter/summer/rain/dry or with engine hot/cold ... I don't know. I haven't had the chance to take it to the dealer for it but it has been happening since early spring. Next trip to the dealer and I'll have it looked at.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Happened to me and issue is now resolved.

See this thread -

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...php?p=24026424

Dealers were not willing to diagnose the first few times I mentioned the issue due to no fault codes being stored. I took the suggestion of someone here on the forums and shot a video and also called Audi Canada to setup the appt. Dealer replaced all 6 injectors and I've never seen the issue crop up since. I did call back and thank them for fixing a very annoying issue but I am still a bit disappointed that I kept telling them to check the injectors because it def. seemed like fuel starvation but they didn't take my word for it (until the video hehe).
Old 11-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the exact same problem and my car is only 1 month old. First visit to dealer: oxygen sensor replaced
Second visit to dealer: control module replaced (vehicle was at dealer for 10 days while a new control module was manufactured in Germany).
Problem is still not fixed. I am leaving the country for 2 weeks and will make another appointment with the dealer when I return. I'll keep you updated on their finding. This is very frustrating.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by calberk95
I have the exact same problem and my car is only 1 month old. First visit to dealer: oxygen sensor replaced
Second visit to dealer: control module replaced (vehicle was at dealer for 10 days while a new control module was manufactured in Germany).
Problem is still not fixed. I am leaving the country for 2 weeks and will make another appointment with the dealer when I return. I'll keep you updated on their finding. This is very frustrating.
I had the same thing happen and it was the injectors. They can check them to see if they're leaking in a relatively short amount of time and if they refuse they're being lazy. If you have more than one dealer in the area you might want to try another one and just go in saying you suspect it's the injectors. Every time I've gone to mine with an issue that has been diagnosed on this board they fixed it w/o question.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GolfGL
Glad the video helped. It did for me on other vehicles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Occasional Bad Starts on 2010 Q5