Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015
Old 08-09-2016, 10:18 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Q7 battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happen when you replace the battery? it is mandatory to reprogram the car?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
You are about due for a new battery - I replace mine at every four years
Why? It might last another six or more years before needing to be replaced. It is surely not sensible to change batteries before they are on the point of failing. Maybe part used batteries have a good re-sale value where you are?
Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

unless you have an amp meter there isnt a way to tell if you need a new battery simply by testing voltage and age may be a good indication but not the only factor.

unfortunately i replace mine before needed because for me the only time i will really know when i need a new one is when it may be too late... i would rather avoid that scenario and simply replace early than be stranded.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwrt
yes do the battery yourself. Go to Interstate and get a bettery for Q7. Model MTP-H8 $178.00 plus tax. 85 Months warranty. First 30 months free replacement. According to the Dealer, its a better battery than factory. I paid 1/2 hour labor to reprogram the car. I do have the intructions for rnr the battery if you needed. Its not that hard.
Have fun!
I'd be interested in the R&R instructions if you don't mind. I'm a few years away and by the time I need a new battery, I'll be out of my factory warranty.

Thanks
Paul

PS Oops- didn't see the date on the post. Hope you're still out there!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pchansen
I'd be interested in the R&R instructions if you don't mind. I'm a few years away and by the time I need a new battery, I'll be out of my factory warranty.

Thanks
Paul

PS Oops- didn't see the date on the post. Hope you're still out there!
I did mine last winter...Take off the trim pieces around the front part of the seat. Unscrew the 2 bolts holding the front of the seat down and the front seat will swing back out of the way so you will have access to the floor under the seat. From here forward it should be pretty straight forward. Sorry for the limited data but I am going off of memory.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
unless you have an amp meter there isnt a way to tell if you need a new battery simply by testing voltage and age may be a good indication but not the only factor.

unfortunately i replace mine before needed because for me the only time i will really know when i need a new one is when it may be too late... i would rather avoid that scenario and simply replace early than be stranded.
The first indication is that the engine cranks slower than normal. Works for me. If this happens I carry a set of jump leads until I can get a new battery fitted, which might be a few months down the line unless I have to use the jump leads, then I'm on the phone to some battery suppliers. I have had batteries last a year or so more after I notice a deterioration. With a small fleet of vehicles and machinery I could certainly not afford to do 'recreational' battery changes. What a waste.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i do not changes batteries as a hobby in any of my cars, i simply meant that i would rather change earlier than have to deal with a dead car... general rule of thumb for me is if the battery is going into it's fifth year it is time to look into changing...
Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
i do not changes batteries as a hobby in any of my cars, i simply meant that i would rather change earlier than have to deal with a dead car... general rule of thumb for me is if the battery is going into it's fifth year it is time to look into changing...
Ditto, but tenth year. But if it is still fine it gets left alone. They don't die suddenly as if having a heart attack but die slowly of old age around these parts.

If you are in a very hot area then your battery life will inevitably be shorter than mine, no doubt about that.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Expert

gotcha, wasnt aware that battery life is affected by warmer climates.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just wondering of you can get one of those things that keep the voltage on the car through the lighter while you replace the battery. I have to do mine shortly and I'd like to figure out how to either keep the voltage on so it doesn;t have to be re-programed. Or I have a VAG available wondering if that would work..

Quick Reply: Q7 battery replacement