1937 F7 DKW Cab

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1937 F7 DKW Cab

Morning folks..(well it is here)
I have hit a very solid wall in the midst of restoring a 37 Cabriolet. I have most of the sheet metal body parts but appear to be missing a large percentage of the timber framing and the chrome accents. Finding literature appears to be like searching for the holy grail although having said that there will be members out there shaking their heads saying "what is he talking about". So thats my tale of woe. Now comes the plea.. are there any members that can help me source;
*detailed drawings/manuals
*new/used timber framing
*indicator arms within the pillar
*chrome accents
and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Regards
Peter
Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 AM

Default ....need termite-proof bondo?....

Hi Peter,
www.autolit.com may have some vintage DKW stuff, but as far as actual drawings go that may be harder to find. I seem to remember that there was a gentleman in europe that was selling some reproduction wood bodies he made for a hardtop DKW of that vintage - that must have been 10 years or so ago. I'll search through my old copies of Blue Clouds in the next few days to give you a possible contact. You might also contact the Auto Union Club of Germany (www.auto-union-veteranen-club.de)or Audi Tradition (www.audi.de/tradition) - if you have no luck with contacts through the web pages I can give you a few names by e-mail.
As far as the parts go, you'd be best to check eBay Germany (www.ebay.de) - I have seen things like semaphores (the flags that extend out to indicate a turn) - apparently a fair few cars of that vintage used them (like VW?). As for the Chrome bits and parts - there is usually some 30's parts for sale there. I believe that there will also be a parts market at the 35th International Auto Union Classic Meet in Zwickau on July 24-27 (I'd go, but I have a birthday party to attend....mine) details at:
http://www.auto-union-veteranen-club.de/img/Veranstaltungen/AutoUnion.pdf
Cheers!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: ....need termite-proof bondo?....

Steve love the comment re Bondo....you have hit the nail on the head mate, there are borer holes and rot every where thru most of the timber.
Love the suggestion re: eBay.de I will check it as soon as I post this reply. Some great suggestions mate many thanx, some one else mentioned the old coach builder as well. Would love to catch up with him I gotta tell ya.
I can reproduce the timber framing with patience but i really dont even know whats missing.
Pictures of a restoration would be absolutely fantastic as long as it was a F5-7.
Dream on anyway. Steve thanx for the response mate.
Regards
Peter
Old 02-06-2008, 08:48 AM

Default I'm trying to throw a snowball at you...stand still.....

>splat!<

If you haven't seen it already, the link below is for a semaphore auction.

The wood rot is certainly not a common thing in our cars anymore. I remember my uncle talking about his early years as a doctor in England. He had a small sports car that was wood bodied - went around a corner one day and the passenger door flew open - the wood behind the latch had rotted off.
Cheers!<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.de/1-Paar-alte-Oldtimer-WINKER-BLINKER-6V-AHE_W0QQitemZ250210436626QQihZ015QQcategoryZ42484Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem">In eBay Germany, you might try searching for "winker"</a></li></ul>
Old 02-06-2008, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Re: I'm trying to throw a snowball at you...stand still.....

"Splat" alright....top shot.

Thats a winna...just have to confirm he will send to Oz.
A "winker" almost sounds like a part of female anatomy......
Thanx mate that even looks like the right one.

I will bring one of my old ones in tomorrow and compare it to the pics on eBay.

No major wins although having said that I found a very enthusiatic lil guy who will fabricate some new panels for me using the old as templates. I saw him yesterday and he was really good...i have used him before on previous resto's and his work is absolutely top notch.

I pick the first panel (dicky seat door)on Friday and I will do them one at a time until i get there.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Geez
it has been 3 years and my progress has been slow...very slow indeed.
I am just about to get into it though.
Any watchers have a parts stash they want to declare.
Originally Posted by OZ F7 Cab
"Splat" alright....top shot.

Thats a winna...just have to confirm he will send to Oz.
A "winker" almost sounds like a part of female anatomy......
Thanx mate that even looks like the right one.

I will bring one of my old ones in tomorrow and compare it to the pics on eBay.

No major wins although having said that I found a very enthusiatic lil guy who will fabricate some new panels for me using the old as templates. I saw him yesterday and he was really good...i have used him before on previous resto's and his work is absolutely top notch.

I pick the first panel (dicky seat door)on Friday and I will do them one at a time until i get there.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by OZ F7 Cab
Geez
it has been 3 years and my progress has been slow...very slow indeed.
I am just about to get into it though.
Any watchers have a parts stash they want to declare.
http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/193...&bodytype=ALL&

saw this