Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

S5 vs RS5

Old 04-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I went through the same decision process back in Dec. I was torn between the RS5 and getting an S5 then tuning it. I finally decided on the S5 route as the RS5 didn't come in manual and for the price difference, you can do a ton of modding to an S5. To the average joe on the street, they're the same car so it takes away from the exclusivity.
DSG will be a must since my wife has bad knees. She likes driving my S4 but on a daily basis it would wear on her. She drove it from work the other day and was loving the acceleration and handling since she drives the Q everyday. I would have to beg her to let me mod it if we go the S route.

I know that everyone has different opinions and that is why I asked for both owners to chime in and I appreciate that I have heard from both sides.

I know that she would not be disappointed either way and maybe the RS would be more to my liking since I already have the S4 but I do have to say that the sound of the V8 is intoxicating.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Symko
DSG will be a must since my wife has bad knees. She likes driving my S4 but on a daily basis it would wear on her. She drove it from work the other day and was loving the acceleration and handling since she drives the Q everyday. I would have to beg her to let me mod it if we go the S route.

I know that everyone has different opinions and that is why I asked for both owners to chime in and I appreciate that I have heard from both sides.

I know that she would not be disappointed either way and maybe the RS would be more to my liking since I already have the S4 but I do have to say that the sound of the V8 is intoxicating.
To me, getting the APR or STASIS tune for the supercharged V6 is almost no risk.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Dave
In January I had just this decision to make. I had a 2011 Phantom Blk on Blk S5 Coupe prestige model fully optioned come off lease. My dilemma was whether to buy it or consider an RS5. ( I wouldn't even consider the 6cyl as I'm addicted to the sound of the 8). The dilemma was resolved the minute I test drove the RS5. The car is decidedly a different animal. I had to have it!
So if you and your wife like the sound of the 8, you have no choice but to go with the RS. You will not be sorry you did.
Just be forewarned, the RS5 does not come with a spare tire. Not even a compact one. It has to do with weight reduction and the size of the brake calipers. You will have to get another wheel and tire as there aren't even compact spares that will fit the car. At least they had a doughnut spare in my 2011 S5. With the new cars they give you a can of fix a flat and tell you to call Audi Emergency Service. Having said that, I'm still happy I made the change to my 2014 Misano red on blk RS5 Coupe with sport exhaust, MMI+, 20 in. Titanium wheels and Driver Assist Pkg. Test drive the cars back to back. There is really no wrong decision here.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If the sound and not the V8 is what you desire, why not the S5 and this:

http://www.capristouk.com/products/c...l#productnav01
Old 04-08-2014, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If price is not a factor, obviously get the RS5, it's not even a close decision. But I just don't understand you're underlying condition that there is not a major price difference between the S5 and RS5?

Btw, I own an S5, so it's not like I'm biased in favor of the RS5.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Misrdrs5
Dave
In January I had just this decision to make. I had a 2011 Phantom Blk on Blk S5 Coupe prestige model fully optioned come off lease. My dilemma was whether to buy it or consider an RS5. ( I wouldn't even consider the 6cyl as I'm addicted to the sound of the 8). The dilemma was resolved the minute I test drove the RS5. The car is decidedly a different animal. I had to have it!
So if you and your wife like the sound of the 8, you have no choice but to go with the RS. You will not be sorry you did.
Just be forewarned, the RS5 does not come with a spare tire. Not even a compact one. It has to do with weight reduction and the size of the brake calipers. You will have to get another wheel and tire as there aren't even compact spares that will fit the car. At least they had a doughnut spare in my 2011 S5. With the new cars they give you a can of fix a flat and tell you to call Audi Emergency Service. Having said that, I'm still happy I made the change to my 2014 Misano red on blk RS5 Coupe with sport exhaust, MMI+, 20 in. Titanium wheels and Driver Assist Pkg. Test drive the cars back to back. There is really no wrong decision here.
Congrats on your purchase.

We test drove the RS a couple of weeks ago but I have been trying to get her to go test drive them back to back. This way she can get a good sense of the difference. Plus, with my S4 being 6MT she needs to drive both DSGs.

Originally Posted by KarlFEvans
To me, getting the APR or STASIS tune for the supercharged V6 is almost no risk.
This is my plan if the RS doesn't pan out but I would have to get the tune and then tell the wife. She doesn't worry about the power but wants it when she puts her foot down. The S has power but you can never have to much power unless you cannot get it to the ground safely.

Originally Posted by leetjon00
If price is not a factor, obviously get the RS5, it's not even a close decision. But I just don't understand you're underlying condition that there is not a major price difference between the S5 and RS5?

Btw, I own an S5, so it's not like I'm biased in favor of the RS5.
Price will always be a factor at some point and the way I looked at it is the price difference is roughly $15-$20K (new) and not $30-$50K. I cannot say that the cost is minimal but if a new one didn't work out I can find CPO'd RS5s w/sub 10K miles for low $60s.

Last edited by Symko; 04-08-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

GO RS5... enough said. Its a limited vehicle with upgrades in areas such as brakes, suspension, and the like that you will pay a premium for in the aftermarket. Plus, regardless of Stasis matching the warranty you are not getting warranty work done at an Audi dealer for an issue caused by the Stasis products. Staying stock and if you can find a nice CPO vehicle you will get a great warranty on a very special car.

Oh, and drive it like you stole it.

Enjoy.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey I have a sepang blue RS5 and i have driven the S5. Let me tell you two things that will make you want the RS5. 1 The sound of the glorious 4.2 V8. 2 is much more rarer car and limited production.
For me it was a no brainier. RS5 all the way!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

To the average Joe, they may look like the same car, but to the driver, not even close. I went from a 2013 S5 to a 2014 RS5 and I can say from experience that the difference is startling, especially if you like to drive hard. The S5 is a great street car. The RS5 was built for the track and it feels like it. From the high revving V8 that loves to be pushed, to the pulse raising note of the sport exhaust, to the grippier breaks, to the remarkable suspension, the RS5 is a drivers car. Anyone complaining about low end torque doesn't know how to drive it. 333HP turbo V6 S5 or the 450HP naturally aspirated V8 RS5...the choice is easy if money's not an issue...the RS5 wins hands down. If you have to go with an S5, a great automobile in its own right, don't pass on the rear torque vectoring sports differential. It's a must have to fully enjoy the experience of driving that car. Oh, and about the average Joe not knowing the difference, maybe so, but I can tell you car guys know, and I get a lot more stares and people coming up to me at the gas station to see the car than I ever did in my S5.

Originally Posted by mikejaeggi
I went through the same decision process back in Dec. I was torn between the RS5 and getting an S5 then tuning it. I finally decided on the S5 route as the RS5 didn't come in manual and for the price difference, you can do a ton of modding to an S5. To the average joe on the street, they're the same car so it takes away from the exclusivity.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:02 PM
jgd
Banned

Ok I just traded in my 2011 B8 S4 for my new 2014 RS5, this past week. I loved the S4, but the RS 5 is a different machine. Different handling, different torque, but overall a great package like the S4. I considered an S5, but the RS5 with the Daytona Grey Pearl just blew me away and with the black optic package like my Ti S4 sealed the deal.