A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove home at lunch, Now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove home at lunch, Now won't start

Left work for lunch. Started and drove home fine. Ate lunch went out to garage to leave and the car turns over but won't start. Fuel pump replaced 6 months ago with VDO and has worked fine since. Cam adjuster replaced three months ago and worked fine since. Any ideas? Code reader is at work. EPC and check engine light is lit.

Got a friend to grab code reader. P0322.. Easy to replace?

Last edited by jmmillerfzr; 02-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jmmillerfzr
Left work for lunch. Started and drove home fine. Ate lunch went out to garage to leave and the car turns over but won't start. Fuel pump replaced 6 months ago with VDO and has worked fine since. Cam adjuster replaced three months ago and worked fine since. Any ideas? Code reader is at work. EPC and check engine light is lit.

1st, I'd visually check the connection at the bell housing, just ahead of the left/front inner drive joint (front diff)...I've heard about the bolt either loosening here or backing completely out...the sensor is just a mag pickup.
Also look at wire for damage and the connection on the fire (next to 02 sensor harness plug).

Have never had to replace it, but am told it can be tricky feeding the wire back into place...if needed, I'd use the old wire to pull the new wire into place.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well pulled the sensor and saw no physical damage. The wire is zip tied to another harness at the back of the engine. Cleaned the pick up end of the sensor. Cleaned the shim and mounting location. Put it all back together and it runs.

Did I mention I hate interment problems? I' think I'm going to replace it with a new one. The bolt seemed tight, as if I had to break it free. So don't really know if this was the problem.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well died again today. Cranked over well, but would not start. After about two minutes of cranking the battery was low and turned over slow. I did not crank non stop. I would think the battery would last longer. Put charger on it at lunch and by the time I got home it cranked over and started. Do you think a weak battery or low voltage would cause the computer to be unable to read the engine speed sensor?
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well died again today. Cranked over well, but would not start. After about two minutes of cranking the battery was low and turned over slow. I did not crank non stop. I would think the battery would last longer. Put charger on it at lunch and by the time I got home it cranked over and started. Do you think a weak battery or low voltage would cause the computer to be unable to read the engine speed sensor?
Going off normal theory of low input voltages, if the input voltage is below 8.5 - 9 VDC, modules and sensors can go into limp mode for component protection. This alone could cause a NS condition until input VDC is above lower limit.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Check the Crank shaft sensor or replace it
Old 02-27-2014, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well started this morning and at lunch. Going back to work it would not start. Decided to pull the battery and found it frozen in the trunk. I'm thinking trunk wasn't closed well and water got in. So battery frozen in a block of ice about half way up the side. New sensor is on the way as well.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well started this morning and at lunch. Going back to work it would not start. Decided to pull the battery and found it frozen in the trunk. I'm thinking trunk wasn't closed well and water got in. So battery frozen in a block of ice about half way up the side. New sensor is on the way as well.

Ugh. I know in my case that the trunk wasnt shut the whole way but if you are getting water back there in the battery "cubby", you may want to check to make sure your passenger side sunroof drain is not clogged. Its the blue hose right behind the battery. If its clogged, that corner will start to fill up with water. Not a good thing...

Just went through this process last week. Guys on here pointed me in the right direction. :-)
Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

So on Friday I drove to work and home with no issues. Really figured the block of ice the battery was sitting in was the issue. Went to leave this morning,temp -15, and it would not start again. Same P0322 code and took my multimeter to the battery and it was at 11.5v. The new sensor showed up and I am planning on installing it tonight. I'm wondering if at 11.5V is low enough that it is causing the issue? Do you think it would drop during cranking as well? So far every time I try to start the car after sitting on a charger it has worked. I just have a hard time thinking it is the battery now that it cranks over so well and the voltage is only low by .5v.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got home from work and tried the car, did not start, battery at 11.5v. Swapped out g28 sensor and started right up. Next day hard to start, but does after a few attempts. Does this twice. Took a 45 mile drive no problems. Went to restart and took a while and threw a p0321. Made it home and car died at work, starting to think something more than the sensor.

Read something about a temp sensor that can cause some problems, any idea on a part number?

Quick Reply: Drove home at lunch, Now won't start