Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Traffic info comes and goes

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Traffic info comes and goes

I purchased my 2012 Q7 CPO last year and never bothered with the satellite radio subscription because I only listen to my iPod. From my research, I understand that traffic info is supposed to be linked to the satellite data, but sometimes it shows real time traffic info on the nav and sometimes it doesn't. I haven't figured out any rhyme or reason. First of all, should it technically not even work without a Sirius/XM subscription? If it should work regardless, are there any known issues/TSB's that I should mention when I take my car in for service? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked Audi about this and they said you don't need a Sirius/XM subscription for it to work, it uses local FM/AM bands as well for traffic reports.
I noticed mine worked fine in my hometown, but since I moved to a smaller city it has stopped working.
Audi said the TMC system only works in major cites, I see your in Cali, so it should be workin fine.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Senobi
I asked Audi about this and they said you don't need a Sirius/XM subscription for it to work, it uses local FM/AM bands as well for traffic reports.
I noticed mine worked fine in my hometown, but since I moved to a smaller city it has stopped working.
Audi said the TMC system only works in major cites, I see your in Cali, so it should be workin fine.
For clarification, I do live in the more rural Central CA. I'll ask my SA about it next time I'm in for service.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

First of all, to receive traffic info you need a subscription to Sirius Traffic. Every new Audi comes with a free 4-year subscription, so you are good for another 2 years or so.

Second, color coded traffic flow data is only provided for major metropolitan areas. Outside of those areas, you only get incident reports.

More info here: http://www.siriusxm.com/siriusxmtraffic/marketcoverage

As long as the TMC logo in the lower left corner of the MMI screen is white and not grayed out, you are receiving traffic data, but if you are not seeing any color coded flow information, then you are too far from a covered major area.

Last edited by superswiss; 02-27-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
First of all, to receive traffic info you need a subscription to Sirius Traffic. Every new Audi comes with a free 4-year subscription, so you are good for another 2 years or so.

Second, color coded traffic flow data is only provided for major metropolitan areas. Outside of those areas, you only get incident reports.

As long as the TMC logo in the lower left corner of the MMI screen is white and not grayed out, you are receiving traffic data, but if you are not seeing any color coded flow information, then you are too far from a covered major area.
Great info, thanks! I'll need to pay more attention to the TMC logo. Although, that link indicates Fresno, CA is supposed to be covered and I hardly ever see traffic info around here. Maybe just the highways?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Traffic flow data is only available for highways, interstates and major roads that have sensors. Most surface roads have no reliable traffic data. As explained in the FAQs, Sirius Traffic gets their data from sensors in the roads and GPS equipped trucks mostly. They don't have access to the data that Google for example collects from Android phones.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand corrected. The audi tech who told me this must have been talking out of his ***.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Just to clarify, the Audi 4 years free Sirius traffic was first introduced with 2013 models equipped with MMI 3G Nav Plus. I believe the OP has a MY2012 so the the free 4 year subscription wasn't included then (it did come with a 3 months free trial along with Sirius radio). If he's still getting it free with a 2012 CPO, either the original owner paid in advance and didn't cancel it or it's an oversight on the part of Sirius (don't say anything to them, be happy). Otherwise, it costs $3.99 @ month.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Just to clarify, the Audi 4 years free Sirius traffic was first introduced with 2013 models equipped with MMI 3G Nav Plus. I believe the OP has a MY2012 so the the free 4 year subscription wasn't included then (it did come with a 3 months free trial along with Sirius radio). If he's still getting it free with a 2012 CPO, either the original owner paid in advance and didn't cancel it or it's an oversight on the part of Sirius (don't say anything to them, be happy). Otherwise, it costs $3.99 @ month.
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware that the 4-year subscription was a MY2013+ thing.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Senobi
I stand corrected. The audi tech who told me this must have been talking out of his ***.
He might have recently been at a training in Europe or something. In Europe, traffic data is received through terrestrial radio. I believe as of MY2013 they also have the option to use Google Traffic via Audi Connect. We don't get this option in the US, unfortunately. It's Sirius Traffic only.

Quick Reply: Traffic info comes and goes