A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

C5 A6 Door Unlock & Windows Go Down by Themself

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5 A6 Door Unlock & Windows Go Down by Themself

Recently having problem where all doors unlock & windows roll down without touching keyfob.
Happened last 2 nights & now twice this morning.
I've found some posts that some people have had this problem but cause & correction is lacking. Some mention accidentally holding down keyfob button, but that is not the cause here. Keyfob not touched & in house when this happens. Finding sketchy info on VWs that say it could be switch in door lock control.
If someone has link to good DIY on this I'd appreciate it. Still hunting for it myself.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CRuby
Recently having problem where all doors unlock & windows roll down without touching keyfob.
I've found some posts that some people have had this problem but cause & correction is lacking. Some mention accidentally holding down keyfob button, but that is not the cause here. Keyfob not touched & in house when this happens. Finding sketchy info on VWs that say it could be switch in door lock control.
If someone has link to good DIY on this I'd appreciate it. Still hunting for it myself.
This is actually a software (OBD) setting on how the windows behave. To be absolutely sure it's not one of your keyfobs, take out their batteries and see if it happens again. I am not sure of a fix as I never experienced it but, disconnecting battery for 10 mins or so, might reset the ECU/other modules... may help...
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Door latch assembly, there's a microswitch your turning when you turn the key. I see this more on Jettas and Beetles, but it can happen to Audi's too.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Door latch assembly, there's a microswitch your turning when you turn the key. I see this more on Jettas and Beetles, but it can happen to Audi's too.
Agreed. There is a DIY on this that i may have. I'll try and find it for you. In the meantime i suggest you hire a bodyguard to protect your vehicle as when this happened to me, the key FOB was not the issue as a terrorist (friends 3 year old kid) had gently placed my keys in the pool filter. The latch is a fun one to fix to!
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CRuby

No other problems? The car doesn't think the door is open when you drive? Any lights coming on an off while driving, as if the door was opened?

It could also be wires shorting in the rubber boot that protects the wires coming from the door to the car by the hinges. Peel back and see if insulation is cracked on any wires.