A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

remote control for rear passenger

Old 10-06-2013, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remote control for rear passenger

Can anyone advise best place to get a replacement remote control MMI for rear passengers on Audi A 8 W12 2005.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default which one ?

Originally Posted by MrSage
Can anyone advise best place to get a replacement remote control MMI for rear passengers on Audi A 8 W12 2005.
Are you in the US ? As far as I know the remote capable MMI was not available to the US market so I assume you mean the remote for the RSE (rear seat entertainment) DVD palyer ?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you mean the grey remote in my A8?

I'd maybe try ebay or failing that Audi themselves.

After a quick search myself it seems to be very hard to find one without going to Audi.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RenoRanes
Do you mean the grey remote in my A8?

I'd maybe try ebay or failing that Audi themselves.

After a quick search myself it seems to be very hard to find one without going to Audi.
That is the very item i am after, on a seperate issue i also have the TV,s in the headrets, The DVD drive etc are in the boot but I have no power going to the TV,s . When you look at the fuse panel on the drive side front the place where the fuse should be is emty of both fuse and reseptical. Do you know where your TV power comes from (ie which is the fuse) Audi tell me it is an aftermarket but i have the Audi rear seat entertainment operating instructions.
Any help would be great
Old 10-11-2013, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Power for rear video

At least some of the power for the system comes from the trunk/boot fuse panels. They are on both sides. IIRC, the video power for the DVD player comes from the battery side (right side as you look into trunk). I'm not sure where the power comes from for the seat monitors themselves.

As a W12 with the rear video--which looks lie the factory set up to me since I have it in my W12--if by any chance your W12 has a tow bar set up, the two apparently can't co-exist electrically. Let me know back if by chance that is the case; you have to manually swap control boxes in that situation and use one or the other (trailer lighting or rear video) at a time. If you don't have a tow bar set up, just look at the trunk/boot fuses.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
At least some of the power for the system comes from the trunk/boot fuse panels. They are on both sides. IIRC, the video power for the DVD player comes from the battery side (right side as you look into trunk). I'm not sure where the power comes from for the seat monitors themselves.

As a W12 with the rear video--which looks lie the factory set up to me since I have it in my W12--if by any chance your W12 has a tow bar set up, the two apparently can't co-exist electrically. Let me know back if by chance that is the case; you have to manually swap control boxes in that situation and use one or the other (trailer lighting or rear video) at a time. If you don't have a tow bar set up, just look at the trunk/boot fuses.

You were spot on, i ahd several fuses missing, put them in and horah DVD player works in the rear. Thank you for the advise, more money saved
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

You were spot on, i ahd several fuses missing, put them in and horah DVD player works in the rear. Thank you for the advise, more money saved
Typical, the tvs work but now the ACC doesnt, thought it mighjt have been the fuses i put in. Took them out but still no ACC/
AHHHH!!
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry to be a pain in the ****, i have tried again and when i add bottom fuse in battery compartment i do get back the ACC but the TV;s loose the power.
So i can have rear TV;s or AAC.
The owners manual says that this bottom fuse is a trailer control unit.

I ca only assume i will have to do as you suggest which is to manualy swap.
Can you expalin how to do this please

Thanks
Old 10-15-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Mine doesn't work that way

I have ACC, and it always functioned with rear video.

As far as the trailer set up, it uses a controller that turns out to be identical to the rear screen video controller. Seems bizarre, but at the parts # level it is identical. The video controller is directly under the battery, screwed to the shelf overhang area the battery rests on. That's exactly where the trailer controller is supposed to go too. To make the two co exist, I just ran the trailer plugs for the module to the right (rear) side of the battery, and then the video related plugs (the connectors are also the same, but in the factory wiring remain as separate connectors) to the left/front of the battery. Then I just plug module into one or the other, but never both. It's just stuffed in there beside the battery and behind the trim panel now, instead of screwed in under the battery area. If I try to do both simultaneously, even with ignition off it immediately produces a very high draw on the battery for some reason and runs it flat if car isn't running w/in 30 minutes. But, just a KISS and the manual connector/module swap over when I tow, all good.

What still isn't clear though in your scenario is why ACC and video don't coexist. They do on mine, and I expect wiring is very far apart since ACC sensor is at front bumper and then ties into cruise switch, ABS module, etc., none of which are toward the back of car AFAIK.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 10-15-2013 at 01:34 PM.