Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Motion sensor trunk release

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

On my 2013 A8, the foot trick works quite well to open the trunk.

Procedure as follows:

1. Have key in pocket, hand, in purse, on your body somewhere.
2. Kick foot twice under center of rear bumper with a straight in/out motion. (In - Out - In - Out)

Works every time for me.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad, it can't do kick to close (on a powered boot lid)!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by walkman8833
Too bad, it can't do kick to close (on a powered boot lid)!
Two words. Tort Reform.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the BMW 5 series a lot of people complain about the hit rate. We have found that if you do a motion as if kicking a football (as suggested above) right under the license plate it works very well. A lot of people wave their foot side to side - that does not work most of the time. Once I learned the proper way, it works almost every time in my car.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a great feature that I wish we had on our 2012 -- anybody know if a retrofit is possible?
Old 08-06-2013, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

As I reported this last year on my 2013 A6 (before I had the trunk sensor disabled since mine occasionally opened the trunk on it's own as I walked by the rear quarter panel), the only way to get it to work reliably is:

You put your right foot in,
You put your right foot out,
You put your right foot in,
And you shake it all about,
You do the hokey pokey
and you turn yourself around,
That what it's all about.

Attracts a lot of stupefying stares usually followed by hysterical laughter and finger pointing in the parking lot but, hey, no pain, no gain. (The hokey pokey and turning around parts are absolutely necessary for it to work. Trust me on this).
Old 08-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Having played with it for a few more days now, I think the reliability must have improved since 2013. The kicking motion works consistenly, and I haven't gotten any false positives. Only problem was yesterday i was holding a huge box, kicked my foot to open the trunk, and it lifted up driving the box into my nose. Had I been following the hokey pokey protocol, I would have turned myself about following the footshake, thus saving myself from facial trauma.

I think it would have been even nicer to have the power trunk close, and I'm aware that a retrofit kit exists for that, but the cost probably outweighs the benefit.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1chromicorn
Having played with it for a few more days now, I think the reliability must have improved since 2013. The kicking motion works consistenly, and I haven't gotten any false positives. Only problem was yesterday i was holding a huge box, kicked my foot to open the trunk, and it lifted up driving the box into my nose. Had I been following the hokey pokey protocol, I would have turned myself about following the footshake, thus saving myself from facial trauma.

I think it would have been even nicer to have the power trunk close, and I'm aware that a retrofit kit exists for that, but the cost probably outweighs the benefit.
Are you in the US? I thought Snagitseven's kick truck release was a fluke for the US models. I never have been able to open the trunk with my foot. Honestly, I have not even looked under to see if anything for that accidentally made it on my car.

As for power trunk, there is a kit. OEMplus makes it. $1295

http://www.oemplus.com/electronic-ha...it-p-3076.html

Cool idea, and I want it, but $1300 is a bit of money to spend for that feature. Not to mention, that is the purchase price. Still need to install it.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by NVThs1
Are you in the US? I thought Snagitseven's kick truck release was a fluke for the US models. I never have been able to open the trunk with my foot. Honestly, I have not even looked under to see if anything for that accidentally made it on my car.
I'm guessing from these reports, Audi has resumed the "feature" on 2014's, hopefully with an improved sensor that doesn't have a mind of its own. Be glad your 2013 trunk sensor is missing or inactive. (I can send you mine if you enjoy pulling your hair out).
Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, I'm in the U.S. I thought it was another fluke as well but then I read the manual and it seems like they are including it in 2014 models.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Motion sensor trunk release