Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

The AWE Tuning S5 Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It’s time for another installment from the road. This time, my trusted navigator Carl and I hit the road to participate in the West Chester Cars and Coffee Spring Drive through many of the back roads that straddle the Mason-Dixon line.

In our particular run group, we were in good company with a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, 575M, and 308GTS, AWE Tuning’s development TT RS, a Nismo 370Z, Porsche Carrera S, WRX STI and last but not least, Carl and I in the S5.

The route was twisty and open which allowed for some spirited driving. The S5 performed flawlessly with more than enough power on tap and the handling prowess to keep up with nearly anything outside of an Elise in the bends. Once again, the H&R suspension was paying dividends.

Around every turn, the S5′s aggressive looks caught stares from passers-by (the S5 sticks out way too much to push the speed limits) while remaining comfortable to drive. In fact, the most remarkable thing about the S5 is just how good of a highway cruiser it is. The exhaust is the perfect tone for long part-throttle cruises. Not a bad day at the office.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any intentions of putting this S5 on the dyno and see what the changes have done, likewise any thoughts of tracking it and seeing how it compares to stock S5's? Maybe a tour of some of the Audi driving events?
Old 07-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

I'd love to do a tour of Audi driving events, but I'm not sure if time will allow. For now the car is regulated to daily driver duty and the occasional event.

We have done dyno testing after nearly every modification, and I will be posting a graph during the piece about Stage 2 software.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

While it may not have been a rough day at the office, it did prove to be a learning experience. Part way through our journey, we found that the S5 had some camber “challenges” in the form of occasional rubbing on large dips. When lowering a car, the front camber increases, and Audi’s factory upper control arms are not adjustable to dial it out. In order to correct the extreme camber caused by lowering, adjustable upper control arms are needed. In this case, we needed to adjust the camber as to allow for fender clearance rather than optimum tire wear. The cure for our issues came in the form of SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms.

The SPC units are a direct replacement for the OEM upper control arms and provide adjustment from +1.5 to -1.5 degrees of camber and caster. This was a welcomed change. These Control Arms are made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum and feature 18mm adjuster links making them extremely strong and a bit lighter than the factory units, and most importantly did not affect the ride quality of our S5. The arms went on without struggle and worked so well that they are now a part of AWE Tuning’s trusted retail catalog, right here.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Will/AWE
While it may not have been a rough day at the office, it did prove to be a learning experience. Part way through our journey, we found that the S5 had some camber “challenges” in the form of occasional rubbing on large dips. When lowering a car, the front camber increases, and Audi’s factory upper control arms are not adjustable to dial it out. In order to correct the extreme camber caused by lowering, adjustable upper control arms are needed. In this case, we needed to adjust the camber as to allow for fender clearance rather than optimum tire wear. The cure for our issues came in the form of SPC Adjustable Upper Control Arms.

The SPC units are a direct replacement for the OEM upper control arms and provide adjustment from +1.5 to -1.5 degrees of camber and caster. This was a welcomed change. These Control Arms are made out of 6061-T6 Aluminum and feature 18mm adjuster links making them extremely strong and a bit lighter than the factory units, and most importantly did not affect the ride quality of our S5. The arms went on without struggle and worked so well that they are now a part of AWE Tuning’s trusted retail catalog, right here.
Really enjoyed this "journey" of upgrades and improvements... The S5 is awesome as tweeked. Nice job in understatement.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Thanks!

The car will be at Waterfest for anyone who is interested in checking it out in person.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Creating power is one thing. Keeping it consistent is another. Whether on the track or executing some “spirited” driving, keeping the temperatures consistent is a concern. Enter the AWE Tuning ColdFront System.

The AWE Tuning ColdFront Heat Exchanger is a direct replacement for the factory heat exchanger, fitting neatly behind the front bumper and grill assemblies. This system was specifically designed by the Engineers at AWE Tuning to include a drain plug and bleed screw, allowing the system to be bled without the need for external tools. In other words, all the benefits of a cooling upgrade with none of the fitment downsides.

Designed and conceptualized in house at AWE Tuning, the ColdFront System should be a mandate for supercharged 3.0T engines looking to keep things cool. Our S5 utilizes the entire ColdFront System, which includes the ColdFront Heat Exchanger and ColdFront Reservoir for maximum cooling potential, as well as the ColdFront Protection Screen to keep it safe from road debris.

The AWE Tuning ColdFront System has proved to be an excellent way to maintain power during back to back runs, and was able to regain 12whp that would have been lost to heat soak with a stock heat exchanger after 4 consecutive dyno pulls. During testing, we found a reduction of coolant temperatures by 24 degrees, and 15 degree lower IATs.

The AWE Tuning ColdFront is available as the entire AWE Tuning ColdFront System including the ColdFront Heat Exchanger and ColdFront Reservior, or as just the AWE Tuning ColdFront Heat Exchanger, and as the ColdFront Reservoir by itself, each with proven cooling benefits.

And to keep it all pristine, we also developed a first-of-its-kind protection screen, the ColdFront Protection Screen, which sits in front of the heat exchanger to add a layer of protection against rogue flying objects that your S5 may meet in its travels.

Up next, Stage 2 takes the stage too.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

So it’s all come to this. It’s time to install an AWE Tuning Stage 2 3.0T Performance Pulley and G.I.A.C. Stage 2 Performance Software.

Stage 1 G.I.A.C. Performance Software provided solid gains over stock, but Stage 2 was what we all really wanted. Once the pulley was installed on the car, we strapped our S5 to the dyno to see what we had done.

Stage 2 proved to unlock peak power levels of 418hp and 396tq at the crank, with gains across the entire powerband. This is a potent package.

However, since the S-Tronic gear box has a low rev limiter, the full potential is yet to be realized…. But G.I.A.C.’s working on that.

For those interested, the AWE Tuning Stage 2 Performance Pulley Kit is available in the following ways-

AWE Tuning Stage 2 Performance Pulley Kit – Includes AWE Tuning 3.0T Performance Pulley (Pulley, Belt, Related Hardware, no tool) and G.I.A.C. Stage 2 Performance Software, as well as a handheld switcher.

AWE Tuning Stage 2 Upgrade - Includes AWE Tuning 3.0T Performance Pulley (Pulley, Belt, Related Hardware, no tool) and G.I.A.C. Stage 2 Performance Software for those who already have G.I.A.C. 3.0T Stage 1 Performance Software. Does not include handheld switcher.

AWE Tuning 3.0T Pulley Removal Tool – Just the tool itself. Pulley and Software not included.

The AWE Tuning 3.0T Pulley Removal Tool was specifically designed for simple pulley removal and features nickel plating and a lifetime warranty. It is a must-have piece for those looking to do the installation themselves.

There's really only one thing left to do now. Tomorrow we reveal the finished product.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome pull numbers! What is the limit of the s-tronic gearbox? It would seem you are bumping up close to its limits? Wonder if its the same gearbox from the RS5 in which case I suppose there isn't an issue...
Old 07-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by DoubleA4
Awesome pull numbers! What is the limit of the s-tronic gearbox? It would seem you are bumping up close to its limits? Wonder if its the same gearbox from the RS5 in which case I suppose there isn't an issue...
Thanks!

The S-Tronic box in our S5 up to the task, and has been tested profusely. We are still well within its limitations.

Quick Reply: The AWE Tuning S5 Build thread