A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

led in exterior door handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default led in exterior door handle

One of the leds in a rear door handle isn't working. Is this easily sorted?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like an easy repair. They should be able to replace the LED, unless it only comes as a complete handle assembly (not likely).
Old 10-26-2011, 12:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Noticed one of mine was not working then a few days later another two leaving only one now working. Car is booked in but not for a couple of weeks and hopefully will be sorted then. Let me know if yours get fixed first!
Old 10-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by chuckyarla
One of the leds in a rear door handle isn't working. Is this easily sorted?
When do these exterior LEDs light up? When you push unlock button on key fob? When you touch handle to unlock the door? I have never noticed that my handles light up. Could be I haven't paid attention or they don't work. I noticed my door sill light on the drivers door is not working. So I need to get that fixed.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have the advanced key so cannot say for sure when unlocking using the fob as have not tried, but I think the lights come on when unlocking via either method (but only when the light sensor detects it is dark). Try at night and should be easy to see the lights as each handle as one lens which illuminates the inside grab and another which is underneath the handle and acts as a puddle light. You should be able to see the lenses in daylight. Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default LED in exterior door handle

Looks like it may not be a simple fix after all. The dealer is talking about a wiring loom and removing door handle and inner door card. Not sure is it worth the effort. Anyone else had one of these lights fixed/replaced?
Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckyarla
Looks like it may not be a simple fix after all. The dealer is talking about a wiring loom and removing door handle and inner door card. Not sure is it worth the effort. Anyone else had one of these lights fixed/replaced?
It is a simple fix, meaning that it is not an intermittent sometime on, sometime off situation. Those are hard to fix.

You have a light that does not come on. There is the light (LED). It is controlled by a small circuit (inner door card), activated by a contact in the handle, the circuit is powered through a wiring harness (wiring loom). Failure of any one of these will cause the light not coming on. Until one opens the door to have access to the wiring (to be able to put a meter on to see where the voltage is "missing"), one can't tell which component needs to be replaced. So they are telling you all the items that "may" be causing the issue.

For the cost of these cars, I would expect all the gadgets to work and if they don't, get them to fix it. You are entitled to that!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by double0
I have the advanced key so cannot say for sure when unlocking using the fob as have not tried, but I think the lights come on when unlocking via either method (but only when the light sensor detects it is dark). Try at night and should be easy to see the lights as each handle as one lens which illuminates the inside grab and another which is underneath the handle and acts as a puddle light. You should be able to see the lenses in daylight. Hope this helps.
Really nice! Congrats!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trieste
Really nice! Congrats!
Oops wrong thread. Sorry guys
Old 10-30-2011, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by fkaufman
It is a simple fix, meaning that it is not an intermittent sometime on, sometime off situation. Those are hard to fix.

You have a light that does not come on. There is the light (LED). It is controlled by a small circuit (inner door card), activated by a contact in the handle, the circuit is powered through a wiring harness (wiring loom). Failure of any one of these will cause the light not coming on. Until one opens the door to have access to the wiring (to be able to put a meter on to see where the voltage is "missing"), one can't tell which component needs to be replaced. So they are telling you all the items that "may" be causing the issue.

For the cost of these cars, I would expect all the gadgets to work and if they don't, get them to fix it. You are entitled to that!
Thanks for that - you're right of course, but I hate the idea of them taking the door apart and the possible rattles that may occur as a result.

Quick Reply: led in exterior door handle