Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wind noise (whistling) from passenger side, side-view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 passanger side mirror whistling

Yep,
I got the whistling noise on the pasanger side window.It does not happen all the time, there is no "recipe" to simulate the conditions (ugh, pretty frustrating when it happens) Supposedly, they fixed it last year by replacing "something". Never paid any attention after that; but low and behold-it happened on a long drive from CA to TX. Now, they said in the dealership they can not "recreate" the event and therefore: nothing we can do about it sir!. I do have a video of the noise, but it is not considered a proof for Audi (?!). I am talking with Audi now to see what they can do but it seems pretty dim changces they will do anything about it. Their solution: come when you can recreate the event! Shall I adopt a service manager, take him home, feed him, and take him to loooong rides around so we can recreate the noise? What do I have to gain by pushing this thing, if it doesn't exist? Plus, video is not addmissable? I can simply put adhesive tape in the crevice between the mirror and the housing (if you put you finger there it stops the noise, so tape should work), but is that a solution I should be having on a $68,000 car? My first Audi and it's a dissapointment...Should have bought the BMW X5, was fooled by the good looks of the Q-7. Btw, I had this noise whan I was driving a Yugo back in 1991..At least I paid 20 times less for that one...Any ideas on where to complain if this guys give me the cold shoulder again? Thanks!
Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Have the same problem. 2013 Q5. I think it is coming from the driver side.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tomaszp72
Have the same problem. 2013 Q5. I think it is coming from the driver side.
I could not have come across this forum at a better time. I have a new Q5, six months after purchase I side-swiped a metal guard rail so had major repairs done to the entire passenger side of the vehicle.

After getting my vehicle back I immediately noticed a very irritating whistling noose coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. In addition to that there were a couple other repairs that were done incompletely.

I have been sitting at the Audi Authorized repair facility all morning trying to get a fix for the whistling noise. Until coming across this I guessed it had something to do with the weather-stripping. I have shared this post with the repair consultant I am working with in hopes it will help them identify a fix quickly.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by christinemross11
I could not have come across this forum at a better time. I have a new Q5, six months after purchase I side-swiped a metal guard rail so had major repairs done to the entire passenger side of the vehicle.

After getting my vehicle back I immediately noticed a very irritating whistling noose coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. In addition to that there were a couple other repairs that were done incompletely.

I have been sitting at the Audi Authorized repair facility all morning trying to get a fix for the whistling noise. Until coming across this I guessed it had something to do with the weather-stripping. I have shared this post with the repair consultant I am working with in hopes it will help them identify a fix quickly.
In my case I didn't hit anything. It's all factory new. I talked to the dealer and I have another long trip coming next week and will see if it is still there.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi all,

I had the same whistle noise issue on the driver's side window when driving at freeway speeds around 65 mph. Apparently, there is a TSB out for this issue (TSB2035673/1), which was applied for my Q5.

Basically, I was told that the space between the turn signal in the side view mirror and the actual mirror itself was causing the wind noise, as air flow at high speeds would get into this space and cause the whistle noise.

So Audi basically filled this space with "insulation" (a felt strip and foam), per the TSB.

After the fix, I test drove my Q5 on the LA Freeway where the whistle noise most often occurs, and I noticed that the fix worked and NO whistle noise! I'm still skeptical of what I think is a "band-aid" solution, so we will see how long this solution lasts.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-14-2013, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Good to know. I'll give them that number when I take mine in for service.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry to dig this old thread up... But my one week old Q5 is having the same issue with the driver side window. I am going to take it into the dealer on Monday. But would like to know if there are any new fixes?

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PEF
Hello everyone,

I've had my q5 for about 1 month and noticed (two days ago), a significant whistling coming from what sounds like the passenger side, side-view mirror,at speeds above 60mph. The wife says it was always there (I usually drive alone with the stereo up way too loud).

I'll attach a recording of the sound later today for those that are interested.

Has anyone experience this before?
I had a similar experience with my previous ride, a Mazda CX-9, only on the driver's side. Turned out to be the rubber gasket/liner that frames the window. Replaced on my dime as a wear 'n' tear item ($200 parts & labor? I can't remember exactly) and that solved the problem. If yours is the same issue your dealer should fix under warranty given how new your car is.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealer added some insulation, but it seems to have returned. Anyone know the exact TSB number?