Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wind noise (whistling) from passenger side, side-view mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:58 AM
PEF
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for dragging up an old post but I have some new information.

I haven't heard the wind howling coming from the passenger side-view mirror, but I noticed a harder to reproduce howling coming from the driver side-view mirror. I took a recording and brought this new information in and they agreed to replace that one as well (it's in the shop right now).

So I'm two for two on manufacturing defects on the side-view mirrors.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 AM
PEF
Audiworld Junior Member

My Q5 is back and it seems as if the howling noise from the drivers side mirror is fixed. I'm now hearing a much softer howling coming from somewhere in the back (I think)... perhaps the passenger side back door.

Other than that mirror assembly replacement, they replaced my sunroof weather stripping (the Q5 was delivered with a tear and I was worried about water leaking though) and performed a software update (campaign 37G1... I'll post this in a different thread to see what it is).

On a side note, I couldn't figure out how to mount my front license plate (required in my state) and they tried to sell me a $225.00 part since mine didn't have the right piece. I then read about that problem on the site... looks like I can force them to give it to me for free. Not sure what I want to do now :\
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have exactly the same high-pitched noise from passenger side, with new 2 months old Q5.
I have it checked, at local dealer, yesterday. And, it turned out that there is a defect in transmission which causes the noise. they said that we need to replace the whole transmission!
It is a brand new Q5, and it needs transmission replaced!

Would you help me with the options I have now? can I ask Audi USA to replace the defected Q5, or, ask them to take it back?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2011, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

putting in my .02 on this ...
so my Q was in for it's 25K service and I was given a Q5 loaner. On my way to pick up the Q from the dealership the loaner had this very unnerving whistling sound coming from the passenger side mirror - I mean it was HORRIBLE! If this is the sound some of you have been encounter OMG how crappy and simply disturbing!!

On the same roads at the same speed(s) in my Q I did NOT have the whistling and the only 'difference' I could notice was that I do have the side assist and the loaner did not. Maybe that small insert of plastic redirects the air in a way that eliminates the whistling?

So somthing to consider in those of you with this issue - do you YES or NO have the insert in the mirror for the side assist? I honestly wonder if something that small is the difference??
Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 AM
PEF
Audiworld Junior Member

I do not have side-assist, but i do have the same assembly (it has a section that is clearish, near the window, where I assume an LED is located).

The whistling sound was quite loud and very annoying... but is now gone since both side-view mirror assemblies were replaced. My concern now is paint wear... the color's match but there is a bit of an orange peal on them (not overly so)... it makes me wonder if that paint will fade at a different rate than the rest of the car.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What did they find with the transmission. I have the noise from the drivers side mirror and the dealer says there is no fix for it. He also said I am the only one to complain about it. I don't believe it!!!. I ask about the transmission because I wonder if something is wrong with mine. Every time I slow to a stop the transmission down shifts through every gear. Very difficult to come to a nice easy controlled stop with the engine/tranmission down shifting. Anyone else noticed this? I inquired at dealer and once again thats the way the car drives. Hmmmmm?

Car 5
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM
PEF
Audiworld Junior Member

Isn't the engine suppose to down shift?

I've never had a problem with the transmission... though it is possible the shifting is smoother in D (I drive primarily in S).
Old 11-15-2011, 04:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PEF
I do not have side-assist, but i do have the same assembly (it has a section that is clearish, near the window, where I assume an LED is located).

The whistling sound was quite loud and very annoying... but is now gone since both side-view mirror assemblies were replaced. My concern now is paint wear... the color's match but there is a bit of an orange peal on them (not overly so)... it makes me wonder if that paint will fade at a different rate than the rest of the car.
OK the loaner I had did NOT have the clear part for the side assist in either mirror. :/
so much for an 'easy' answer to the issue ... onwards we continue for solutions.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by loscoz
OK the loaner I had did NOT have the clear part for the side assist in either mirror. :/
so much for an 'easy' answer to the issue ... onwards we continue for solutions.
Thanks for the information.

This issue is driving me nuts, I just finished a road trip off 800 miles the wind noise is annoying. I tried tape this and that but the fatser I go the louder it gets from both mirrors now. I can roll down the window and put my finger on the clear plastic turn signal indicator on the outside of the mirror and the wind noise is gone. Remove your finger and the noise is there.Pretty simple, I can show the dealer and he agrees there is noise but he doesn't have a fix. I do not not have lane assist on my car.
Has anybody got Audi to address this issue?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Car5
..... Every time I slow to a stop the transmission down shifts through every gear.

Car 5

"Functioning as designed"

THEY say it's to have you in the right gear for a quick start if you do not stop

THEY also say it cuts fuel supply during this to save gas ...

some have said they have a hard 2-1 shift and it shifts like hitting the brakes hard...

ours has been buttery smooth for the most part... even on the downshifts now that we got that tsb / campaign...

actually on my large diesel suv I use the tow haul to force a downshift as I slow.... the tranny has a 100K warranty and the brakes have no warranty - so it saves the brakes

Last edited by JohnBoyToo; 11-29-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Wind noise (whistling) from passenger side, side-view mirror?