A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 new problems (sigh) knocking noise under the hood and parking break keeps running..

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 new problems (sigh) knocking noise under the hood and parking break keeps running..

I noticed today that I have a knocking noise comming frum under the hood it sounds like the lower en of the motor but I'm hoping its a pulley or the belt, has anyone had any issues with either? and does anyone know if these motors are bad for spinning bearings?

my other problem is that when I park the car and dont engage the parking break then lock the car the parking break motor runs and wont stop.
but if I engage the parking break and lock the car it wont do it...

ever since I got the car 2 months ago I have been using the paring break but today i forgot so I'm wondering if there is some easy fix for it?
Old 06-22-2011, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't know about knocking. It can be many thinks. Some of them very bad, some not at all. Let's hope for the best.

Parking brake is doing some kind of workout occasionally. It lasts 10-15 seconds than stops. Same sound as you are opening pads for service.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default No on one; need more info on other

Audis across many motors, 4.2 included, are not known for lower end issues. If anything, the opposite--typically strong blocks, bearings, etc. I'm generalizing, but in general more likely to find Audi motor issues in the heads and the various accessory driven areas. Thus to your question, I would look at your other belt driven accessories, idler pulleys, etc. as much more likely.

On brakes, not clear if the running noise you note is continuous (it wont stop) and every time you turn it off w/out parking brake, or if it stops after an interval and/or is just sporadic. Without more info, I would say look at both pad wear and at calibration of rear brake unit--has to be done w/ a VAG-COM or by dealer, and if you don't, it wont work right (and parking brakes may more generally be messed up if someone tried to force it rather than do it the computer assisted way).

Originally Posted by JP19640_0
I noticed today that I have a knocking noise comming frum under the hood it sounds like the lower en of the motor but I'm hoping its a pulley or the belt, has anyone had any issues with either? and does anyone know if these motors are bad for spinning bearings?

my other problem is that when I park the car and dont engage the parking break then lock the car the parking break motor runs and wont stop.

ever since I got the car 2 months ago I have been using the paring break but today i forgot so I'm wondering if there is some easy fix for it?

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

thx mishar you were right about the parking brake.

as for the noise I think its coming from one of the accessory's as MP4.2+6.0 said, I just need to get a day that's not raining to pull the belt and find out.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I can chime in on just about every prob here. I hear something like

that also. This happens maybe once a month. I have no clue what it is. It sounds like a motor running after car is locked. the car is back agan for the electo brake malfuntion, sunroof again, control arms again for the 7th visit.

Originally Posted by JP19640_0

Old 06-24-2011, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by BiturboA6
that also. This happens maybe once a month. I have no clue what it is. It sounds like a motor running after car is locked. the car is back agan for the electo brake malfuntion, sunroof again, control arms again for the 7th visit.
If that is all brake malfunction than it is actually nothing wrong with it.

When have you fixed control arms?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I get that running sound too every now and then after an hour long ride to work. Doesnt happen until after I lock my doors with the remote. I thought it was the parking brake too, but I mentioned it to the dealership and they said its the compressor for the suspension (its located somewhere at the right rear), and that its refilling. Interestingly its never made the noise when I park the car in my garage without locking the car.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Don't go to that dealership. They have no clue. Compressor is behind front left wheel and sound you and others are hearing is a parking brake. I think it is occasionally readjusting itself.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

If we're talking about the same noise, which I think we are, my dealer told me it was the rear brakes (I think he said Parking Brake) automatically recalibrating themselves.

It totally baffles me why a car of this caliber makes such an embarrassing ruckus just to adjust the rear brakes. It sounds absolutely terrible. I can hear it continue to run (mine runs for about 30 seconds when it occurs) right up until I enter my building at work, across the street from the parking lot.

I guess the only saving grace is that it only happens to me about once every 4-6 weeks. I have no idea what causes it to actually realize that adjustment is needed. I think it has something to do with waiting until someone is admiring my ride, because it never fails when they are...

This noise is one of the things I've moved to the list of annoyances with the car. There aren't many of them, but things like this, poorly located and cheaply built cup holders, cheesy ashtrays that don't stay closed (even though they fall open very nicely), cheap nylon gears on the MMI screen. These things bring to mind a Project Manager saying, "Since we can't fire him, let's give this one to Bozo over there. He couldn't possibly screw this up!" But, true to form, Bozo can screw up a wet dream...

OK, the rant is over. Back to the regular scheduled programming...
Old 06-26-2011, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Sound is ugly and I think it lasts longer and longer as pads are getting thinner.

I am signing your list. You just forgot rear shade. Quality combined with accessibility is a disaster.

Quick Reply: 2 new problems (sigh) knocking noise under the hood and parking break keeps running..