Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adjusting fuel consumption with VAG COM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3.0 TFSI is rated at 18/28/22 so I never expected more than 20-21 for my daily driving. The tank is 19.8 gallons.
The 2.0 is 25/33/28 same tank size. I am fine with my 3.0 mpg that I get, but I also pamper the pedal in daily driving, if I were hevy in the pedal I doubt I would get 18 in my daily driving.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by keithl
The 3.0 TFSI is rated at 18/28/22 so I never expected more than 20-21 for my daily driving. The tank is 19.8 gallons.
The 2.0 is 25/33/28 same tank size. I am fine with my 3.0 mpg that I get, but I also pamper the pedal in daily driving, if I were hevy in the pedal I doubt I would get 18 in my daily driving.
Thanks for the good info!!
Old 12-10-2013, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Just as a note.

Since getting my car I had set the drive select for the engine/transmission to Auto and had been driving it that way ever since.

I recent changed it to Comfort (just the engine/transmission) and got an immediate significant increase in my fuel economy of at least 2 mpg. I had known that Dynamic would degrade gas mileage but I had assumed the Auto stayed in comfort unless you drove aggressively and it's impact would be minimal.

Obviously I was wrong.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Homer1946
Just as a note.

Since getting my car I had set the drive select for the engine/transmission to Auto and had been driving it that way ever since.
I recent changed it to Comfort (just the engine/transmission) and got an immediate significant increase in my fuel economy of at least 2 mpg. I had known that Dynamic would degrade gas mileage but I had assumed the Auto stayed in comfort unless you drove aggressively and it's impact would be minimal.

Obviously I was wrong.
Well actually, you weren't wrong. In D mode on the shifter, or selecting either the Auto or Comfort modes in the ADS, the throttle and transmission mapping is the same.
Your increased mpg would have to be explained by other factors in your driving for that tank of gas.

I found this chart in the 2012 Audi A6 Study Guide (and also in my manual). While it's pretty basic it does appear to show that the engine throttle/transmission maps are identical in Comfort and Auto (called "Balanced"). This would indicate using D shifter mode or in the ADS selecting for Auto or Comfort, the two modes for these are one and the same. (This was also confirmed by someone digging down with VCDS and reviewing the coding maps).

So for the U.S. 2012+ A6:

1) Engine throttle and transmission gear maps have just two results; Auto/Comfort and Dynamic; the Auto mode is the same as Comfort mode. (Similar for seat belt pretensioners - two software maps only).

2) D or S (Sport) shifter modes will override and be the same as ADS Comfort and Dynamic respectively for throttle and gearing.

3) Steering is the only A6 ADS function that has a "middle" Auto setting (also Air suspension (for other countries and S6/S7 models) as well as the Sport Differential (for S6/S7 models) if so equipped; there may be others depending on location and features).

3) ADS steering, ACC (if equipped) and seat belt pretensioners can have an Individual setting that are not overridden by the shift lever in D or S is Steering.

4) It's not clear from the chart or the study guide if the ADS Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) Auto mode is the same as Comfort mode or if they are actually different in operation.

Based on this chart, I'm somewhat baffled why Audi bothers to have the ADS indicate both Auto and Comfort modes for throttle, transmission and seat belt pretensioners since they appear to be the same. Seems like labeling two modes, Comfort (or Balanced as in the chart) and Dynamic would have sufficed and avoided any confusion. It seems that essentially, the only things that North American A6/A7 ADS does beyond what the D or S shifter can implement is steering, ACC and seat belt pretensioners, since throttle and transmission can easily be switched using the shifter (not sure if the ADS curve light setting is avail in the U.S. A6 or Engine Sound setting with the S6).

Bottom line: Shifter "D" or ADS "Comfort" = "Auto" for throttle/transmission mapping. Shifter "S" = ADS "Dynamic" for throttle/transmission mapping.

<fieldset class="fieldset"><legend>Attached Images</legend>
</fieldset>
Old 12-11-2013, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Interesting. And. Interesting...

The change was dramatic, however I need to run a few more tanks to verify the change. I will update when that happens.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In September I started resetting the mileage on the long-term memory screen at each fill-up so I could compare it with the manually calculated mileage from miles traveled divided by gallons used to fill. The numbers were very close:

Long-term display ... manually calculated
30.9 ... 30.6
30.5 ... 30.6
29.0 ... 29.3
31.7 ... 31.5
30.0 ... 30.4

The first tank was 195 miles/6 gal and the other four tanks were around 500 miles/17 gal each.

Note that the mileage on the short-term memory screen resets after the car is off for 2 hours, so in most cases it does not correspond with the whole tankful so should not be compared to the manual calculation.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by newmoon
In September I started resetting the mileage on the long-term memory screen at each fill-up so I could compare it with the manually calculated mileage from miles traveled divided by gallons used to fill. The numbers were very close:

Long-term display ... manually calculated
30.9 ... 30.6
30.5 ... 30.6
29.0 ... 29.3
31.7 ... 31.5
30.0 ... 30.4

The first tank was 195 miles/6 gal and the other four tanks were around 500 miles/17 gal each.

Note that the mileage on the short-term memory screen resets after the car is off for 2 hours, so in most cases it does not correspond with the whole tankful so should not be compared to the manual calculation.
For some reason, the avg mpg on the DIS computer vs. actual consumption varies quite a bit from car to car. My four Audis were typically showing anywhere from 1-8% too high on the DIS over time. Fortunately, I was able to adjust and get the two mpg very close with the VCDS mod on all of them. Looks like yours is pretty much right on the money.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I am easily 7-8% high on the DIS compared to real calculations.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am 7% high on the DIS.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by keithl
I am easily 7-8% high on the DIS compared to real calculations.
Originally Posted by Homer1946
I am 7% high on the DIS.
If you guys have a VCDS cable, you can correct the optimistic DIS mpg readout to closely match your actual calculated avg fuel consumption. If you haven't already seen it, see post #2 in this thread - change the "100" value to "107" if your DIS is 7% too high.

Quick Reply: Adjusting fuel consumption with VAG COM?