Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Adjusting fuel consumption with VAG COM?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Just curious, in getting back to the fuel economy question: how are you guys calculating your fuel economy? I only ask because Motor Trend had a big write up this past issue about employing some UK company to calculate their economy based on capturing tailpipe emissions.

I always thought the "fill it until auto-shutoff, zero out trip odometer, refill later until auto shutoff" was pretty accurate, but they say even on the same pump you can see up to 4/10 gallon differences.
99% of my fill ups are at the same gas station and of those I usually grab the same pump. I use Fuelly to punch it in before I pull away from the pump and usually look at the big picture, the average over many tanks and thousands of miles. I am still early in, but my A6 for me is doing around 20.4, not bad since my Infiniti M37S was doing about 21 and was 150 lbs lighter and was only driving rear wheels.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
out of curiosity: what's COM in VAG-COM? command? I know VAG is volkswagen audi group.
Actually, the correct name these days is VCDS (VAG-COM Diagnostic System).

From Wiki:
(no mention of what COM stands for; maybe "Communication" or "Computer"?

VCDS, an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acronym for "VAG-COM Diagnostic System", is a third party Microsoft Windows-based software package, developed and produced by Ross-Tech, LLC since May 2000. It was once known as VAG-COM. It is primarily used for diagnostics and adjustments of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group motor vehicles, including http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEAT, and Skoda automobiles, along with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Commercial_Vehicles. The name "VAG-COM" derives from the acronym "VAG", the name by which the Volkswagen Group was formerly known.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
maybe "Communication" or "Computer"?
that would be my guess too
Old 12-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The VCDS software for use with their cable is PC only but can be used with any of the available PC Windows emulators for the Mac.

My understanding is, outside of scans, other OBD devices will not have the scope or ability to do many or most of the mods provided by VCDS. Also, they may not have the benefit of the VCDS easy coding options. Others having experience with these devices and software can chime in here.

The VCDS has the ability to dive deep into the coding of an Audi or VW and can be a powerful diagnostic tool. However, beyond the long list of common mods and scans that the casual user can easily employ, it requires some expertise to avoid causing malfunction or even damage to the car's electronics and operation.

I've had my VCDS cable for several years and have used it on all four of my past and present Audis. Although I stick only to the proven mods and scans, I've found it to be very useful and well worth the $349 investment.
Since you have used VCDS for several years, were you using software version 11.11 instead of 12.12? Are these two versions having big difference to warrant paying $90 v.s. $349 ? There are sellers selling cable at $90 that only works with 11.11 software. TIA.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by iBetterDoNow
Since you have used VCDS for several years, were you using software version 11.11 instead of 12.12? Are these two versions having big difference to warrant paying $90 v.s. $349 ? There are sellers selling cable at $90 that only works with 11.11 software. TIA.
I would strongly advise you to NOT buy a counterfeit, non-Ross-Tech cable for several reasons. One you've already guessed - if the firmware or software is updated (they frequently do), the imitation will no longer work. Second, Ross-Tech spends a great deal of money on research and maintaining their software; buying a rip-off copy, to me, is like illegally downloading pirated software from the internet. I wouldn't buy a Rolex watch from a guy on the corner, either. While it may keep time for awhile, it ain't a Rolex. Finally, Ross-Tech is an AudiWorld sponsor and we owe our sponsors our support whenever possible.
Spend the money and get the original article from the developer. You and they deserve it. After all, you spent a lot of money on your car. Don't try to save a few bucks on the cable.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would strongly advise you to NOT buy a counterfeit, non-Ross-Tech cable for several reasons. One you've already guessed - if the firmware or software is updated (they frequently do), the imitation will no longer work. Second, Ross-Tech spends a great deal of money on research and maintaining their software; buying a rip-off copy, to me, is like illegally downloading pirated software from the internet. I wouldn't buy a Rolex watch from a guy on the corner, either. While it may keep time for awhile, it ain't a Rolex. Finally, Ross-Tech is an AudiWorld sponsor and we owe our sponsors our support whenever possible.
Spend the money and get the original article from the developer. You and they deserve it. After all, you spent a lot of money on your car. Don't try to save a few bucks on the cable.
Understood that buying from sponsor is supporting this web site., but I would not call non-Ross-Tech as counterfeit, pirating ones. On Ross-Tech web site, they call them as "3rd-party Interfaces"
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

If they're designed to run the VCDS software, other cables are simply reverse engineered, unauthorized copies. Ross-Tech software is copyrighted and their cables are patented. They may be referring to other OBD devices that use their own software. Proprietary issues aside, I wouldn't waste my money on something that's unsupported and will not be able to be updated. I'm a just not a penny-wise and pound foolish kinda guy. Sort of the reason why I buy Audis vs other lesser makes.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If they're designed to run the VCDS software, other cables are simply reverse engineered, unauthorized copies. Ross-Tech software is copyrighted and their cables are patented. They may be referring to other OBD devices that use their own software. Proprietary issues aside, I wouldn't waste my money on something that's unsupported and will not be able to be updated. I'm a just not a penny-wise and pound foolish kinda guy. Sort of the reason why I buy Audis vs other lesser makes.
I politely asked the difference between 11.11 and 12.12 based on your usage experience. You are promoting and defending Ross-Tech, which I said that I understood. I just said that I would like call others pirating and you are aiming even lower to say " penny-wise and pound foolish kinda guy" now?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Each update that Ross-tech offers adds additional features and up to date coding for the latest models . They also provide firmware updates to the cables. The latest version has additional and revised coding for the C7 and other newer Audi series. To know exactly what the latest specific changes are, you would have to contact Ross-Tech. I always update as they become available to ensure I get the latest capabilities and compatibility. In my previous posts, in response to your asking about a off brand cable that would not run the latest software, I was simply offering why I feel it's best to get their cable. Please feel free to choose what's best for you.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by keithl
99% of my fill ups are at the same gas station and of those I usually grab the same pump. I use Fuelly to punch it in before I pull away from the pump and usually look at the big picture, the average over many tanks and thousands of miles. I am still early in, but my A6 for me is doing around 20.4, not bad since my Infiniti M37S was doing about 21 and was 150 lbs lighter and was only driving rear wheels.
I'm glad you brought this up because I wondered why the MPG I'm actually getting are so much less than advertised. Audi claims high 20's in the city and about 31 highway. I'm not getting anything close to those values. Usually about 450 miles per tank and I'm guesing we have 19 gallons in a tank, bringing the ratio to 23.68

It's not terrible at all, but I guess I got hung up on the initial values when I purchased the car

Quick Reply: Adjusting fuel consumption with VAG COM?