Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Rear Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Suspension Noise

First, I would like to thank the posters for helping me make this purchase. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

My issue is with noise coming from my rear suspension when I go over sharp bumps in the road. I have not noticed this sound coming from the front wheels. The best way I can compare the noise is when a pinball hits one of the bumpers in a pinball machine.

I have the 19" sport package with the 5 double spoke wheels and all season tires. I anticipated a stiffer ride and that doesn't bother me but the noise does. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Obvious questions but did you check to be sure there's nothing loose in the trunk, i.e. spare, jack, toolkit, anything in the side storage, etc.? Are the rear seat backs fully locked in position? Are all the wheel bolts torqued to spec? If all is ok there, it's possible a chassis or suspension component was not torqued down properly, in which case, get thee to the dealer and have it checked out. Be sure to ask them to check the suspension/chassis bolts for proper torque. My 09 A4 had a similar noise in the front and after two visits, the dealer finally checked all the bolts and an engine mount was not torqued to spec. Tightened it and all was ok.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been noticing a noise coming from the rear of my car that sounds a lot like the plucking of a single string on a guitar, or like the sound of a spring "ponging" essentially. If it continues, I'll bring it up with the dealer at the 15k, but I've got a ways to go before that, so may have to make a dedicated trip.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

Drive it a little more to let the suspension settle in. It may also be temperature related and it might go away if the weather warms up. I wouldn't be concerned unless there was a clunk or thud. However, check to make sure the lug bolts on the wheels are not loose.

Definitely mention this to the dealer when you go in for service.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrewGuy
First, I would like to thank the posters for helping me make this purchase. I'm very happy with my purchase so far.

My issue is with noise coming from my rear suspension when I go over sharp bumps in the road. I have not noticed this sound coming from the front wheels. The best way I can compare the noise is when a pinball hits one of the bumpers in a pinball machine.

I have the 19" sport package with the 5 double spoke wheels and all season tires. I anticipated a stiffer ride and that doesn't bother me but the noise does. Has anyone experienced this?
I have the same tire/wheel/suspension combo. No noise for me.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the responses. I checked the trunk, spare compartment, and lugs e
Everything seems tight. If the noise persists I'll let the dealer take a look.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the responses. I checked the trunk, spare compartment, and lugs e
Everything seems tight. If the noise persists I'll let the dealer take a look.
A fairly common cause of strange rear of car suspension noises (usually clunks or banging sounds) is the delivering dealer’s failure to fully remove the shipping blocks. These blocks (plastic or such) are inserted in the rear suspension to keep the car from bouncing around and damaging itself during a turbulent cross-oceanic trip to the US. Some of them are orange; an under car inspection with a flashlight (if needed) can usually spot them, and then go to the dealer for them to remove the blocks in case there are problems. There are other posts on this site on this issue. Also, I have heard over the years that this is an issue with other cars shipped form Europe and the East. It may be worth checking out this possibility.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by irenesbob
A fairly common cause of strange rear of car suspension noises (usually clunks or banging sounds) is the delivering dealer’s failure to fully remove the shipping blocks. These blocks (plastic or such) are inserted in the rear suspension to keep the car from bouncing around and damaging itself during a turbulent cross-oceanic trip to the US. Some of them are orange; an under car inspection with a flashlight (if needed) can usually spot them, and then go to the dealer for them to remove the blocks in case there are problems. There are other posts on this site on this issue. Also, I have heard over the years that this is an issue with other cars shipped form Europe and the East. It may be worth checking out this possibility.
After work I'm going to looks for this. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

After work I'm going to looks for this. Thanks!
Hey, ScrewGuy -
Did you ever get the noise issue resolved? I am just wondering what it was.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

I looked under the car and I didn't see any blocks. The noise has subsided over the part week. Just turned 700 miles and the suspension feels better, more tight. If the noise comes back I'll take it to the dealer for a more thorough inspection.

Quick Reply: Rear Suspension Noise