Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Comfort hatch module

Old 06-20-2012, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comfort hatch module

Hi! Since I got my wife a Q7 last week, I have a new toy I can play with from time to time as well. Also did my first mod (comfort hatch) yesterday and everything works nicely. So I thought I'd write about it here too. I had though about getting the kufatec module since I've ordered from kufatec before but after looking around I found something more suited for me - bexpro module. This is due one simple fact - I can open and close the hatch from inside the car (button on the drivers door) as well as from the remote. Kufatec option works only with remote (as far as I've seen from videos and heard about it). So I ordered my module and received it in a week or so. Install wasn't hard but since the manual was only in GERMAN and for A6, some steps needed to be confirmed and tested bit more. Luckily some systems should be quite similar on A6 and Q7.
Introduction done, more about installation:
1) Removed all covers the hatch had so I could start connecting wires. Had to connect 5 wires.
2) Since the original installation manual started with power (from the light), purple wire was + and brown was ground. Connected yellow wire (from the module) to the purple wire and brown wire with brown. Basically same as the manual said, just colors were bit different. 2 wires down, 3 to go.
3) Connected green wire to the white-blue wire on the hatch locking mechanism. white-blue wire should be the top wire. Same as manual said, but different colors.
4) Last two wires (white and gray) had to be connected to the hatch close button. As manual said, 2 middle wires had to be connected with the white and gray wires from the module. When connected these give the signal to close the trunk. Color doesn't seem to matter here.

After connecting the module with power, a red light on the module started blinking, indicating that the module had power. After connecting all the wires and holding down the trunk open button for 2 (or so) seconds that you usually need to hold down to open it, it thought for a second and then closed. Also red blinking light turns green but that is kinda useless since the module is normally hidden anyway.

Conclusion: Got this module for like 90€ with shipping - not too much but for such a simple thing I wouldn't pay it again. Any guy who can put a small module together can make this much cheaper. Module gets it's power from the light, which is on only if the hatch has been opened. Signal when to close comes from the locking mechanism. So basically it just waits for a signal to open the trunk and then simulates the hatch close button press. Since trunk lighting in on only when the trunk is open, module isn't on when the hatch has been closed so it doesn't mess up original open command. But I'm kinda happy with this and it's nice that I can now close the hatch from inside the car as well.

Note: on images 1 & 2 wires have been connected, but on the third one I haven't done it yet.
Attached Images    
Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Awesome and thanks for sharing the wiring issue.

Just ordered one and spoke to the owner who will provide instructions in English.

So to anyone who plans to order, just email a request for instructions in English and he will provide when he receives the order, hoping he adds it to the website.

Last edited by LOP; 06-20-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you disconnect battery or pull fuses when wiring? Im looking to use wire taps and lookig for best way to cut power while installing. When trunk is open light is on.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by knepster
Did you disconnect battery or pull fuses when wiring? Im looking to use wire taps and lookig for best way to cut power while installing. When trunk is open light is on.
I didn't disconnect anything. Just make sure you don't accidentally connect stuff like power cable with something other than needed. I had everything soldiered together for better connection and weather protection (just in case). Wire taps would have damaged the original cables more, so soldiering seemed like a better option for me.
If you go with wire taps, then I don't think you really need to disconnect anything since you'll do it one cable at a time and module itself won't do anything until key on the remote is pressed. While getting the hatch cover off (finding the right tools and carefully moving on not to damage anything), trunk lighting had reached it's limit and turned off. If you still want to cut the power I think you should just pull the fuses. Modern cars usually don't like it very much when battery is disconnected...
Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks McDream. One last Q...to get to all of this in the upper hatch, it looks pretty straight forward...there are like 6 screws (4 exposed, 2 in the emergency triangle compartment) and then gently pry and pull off?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks McDream. One last Q...to get to all of this in the upper hatch, it looks pretty straight forward...there are like 6 screws (4 exposed, 2 in the emergency triangle compartment) and then gently pry and pull off?
I took all of the covering off starting from the smaller covers around the window. There should be also some screws near the lights behind the covering. There is also a small hidden compartment in the middle of the hatch (about match box size) that could be hiding some screws. I don't remember if there were any screws but look just in case.
When removing the biggest panel on the hatch it would be good if you had someone to help you and/or make sure you remove the hatch closing button and light before you start removing the panel.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Unfortunately did not work with 2007 Q7 S-line 4.2 U.S.

Got the blinking red light for power, got the green light when pressing trunk lid for 2 secs, but no close.
Swapped the grey and white wire twice to the middle wires on the close lid button, no luck.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:27 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

Well they have not provided me with the english instructions yet, but I translated them.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Anleitung BEXPRO_new.de.en.pdf (516.0 KB, 1177 views)
Old 06-30-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

So what's this short loop, cut loop directive....that definitely is probably reason for this not working
Old 06-30-2012, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Got the blinking red light for power, got the green light when pressing trunk lid for 2 secs, but no close.
Swapped the grey and white wire twice to the middle wires on the close lid button, no luck.
Try connecting the middle wires on the trunk lid close button together for a sec and see if the trunk lid starts to close. If the light goes green, it seems that it gets the signal so everything should be ok till that point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comfort hatch module