S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

If i dont have the "dynamic,comfort".. is it always in.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If i dont have the "dynamic,comfort".. is it always in.

I dont have the sports diff with all those options that have dynamic,comfort, etc.. Is my car always in dynamic?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nope, it's always in no mode, just a generic setup, likely close to what "auto" would be, only it will not change based on how you drive. You do have the manual shift gate if you have the S-tronic, which will change the shifting and engine to behave like Dynamic when you put it over there into the +/- gate. If you are a 6MT, you are stuck like you are at stock.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Nope, it's always in no mode, just a generic setup, likely close to what "auto" would be, only it will not change based on how you drive. You do have the manual shift gate if you have the S-tronic, which will change the shifting and engine to behave like Dynamic when you put it over there into the +/- gate. If you are a 6MT, you are stuck like you are at stock.

is the dsg transmission, and whats the "s" for then
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

When you move it over into the manual shift, you will see the "D" for drive on the instrument screen between the speedo and tach change to "S" for Sport mode. This makes the gas pedal more sensitive, opening the throttle more and sooner than when you are in "D" as well as it makes the transmission hold the gears till higher in the RPM band, and shift harder and faster than when in "D."

It goes without saying that this will also wreck your MPG if you are watching how much gas you use, but it will also do wonders for the grin on your face.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you move it over into the manual shift, you will see the "D" for drive on the instrument screen between the speedo and tach change to "S" for Sport mode. This makes the gas pedal more sensitive, opening the throttle more and sooner than when you are in "D" as well as it makes the transmission hold the gears till higher in the RPM band, and shift harder and faster than when in "D."

It goes without saying that this will also wreck your MPG if you are watching how much gas you use, but it will also do wonders for the grin on your face.
My car doesn't behave this way. Moving it over to manual shift causes M# to appear on the display, where # is the current gear. S only appears in the S setting. I think the jury is still out regarding the nature of the shift behavior and throttle response in manual mode. In my opinion, it is the same as D, not S.

Confusion may stem from the fact that sport diff cars don't have the S setting on the shifter, only D and manual?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Eggplant Wizard
My car doesn't behave this way. Moving it over to manual shift causes M# to appear on the display, where # is the current gear. S only appears in the S setting. I think the jury is still out regarding the nature of the shift behavior and throttle response in manual mode. In my opinion, it is the same as D, not S.

Confusion may stem from the fact that sport diff cars don't have the S setting on the shifter, only D and manual?
I think you are right, I was under the impression from others who have no Sport Diff, that when it is put into the manual gate, it gets the "S" and is in sport mode - if this is not the case, is there a button for Sport mode? Sport Diff cars get "M" mode when it's moved over to the gate, and to get the equivalent of sport, we have to hit the button to get Dynamic from the engine/transmission.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you are right, I was under the impression from others who have no Sport Diff, that when it is put into the manual gate, it gets the "S" and is in sport mode - if this is not the case, is there a button for Sport mode? Sport Diff cars get "M" mode when it's moved over to the gate, and to get the equivalent of sport, we have to hit the button to get Dynamic from the engine/transmission.
No, we don't have the button. There doesn't appear to be a way to choose between the comfort/D and dyanamic/S when you have the shifter in the manual setting. You just get what you get. It's an open question, but I don't think we get dyanmic/S in manual mode. For example, you can feel the instant throttle boost when you slide the shifter from D to S, but I haven't observed any such boost when sliding over to manual.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes, I'm a driving enthusiast and my gas mileage s*cks!

Agreed young man, agreed!

It still displays 14.6 MPG in my computer 2 readout, but my odo just went over 5K and I'm hoping my mpg will go up any day now.....

Right!

Last edited by drrick89; 05-20-2010 at 08:05 PM.