A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S8 transmission recode - Success! :-)

Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks silverd2; I read that first thread last night (and probably several times in the past) and my inkling was that the S8 would not be 00032. I just never have much luck finding S8 specific information (you probably recall my brake job/torque questions). I'll pull my stock code tonight to see what code I'm starting from.

Tip on demand? Now that would be a nice feature! I tend to move between D and tip, and D & S very often, usually depending on traffic scenario. My biggest gripe is a clunk from 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 while slowing down.

Does "sport coding" render the "S" shifter position useless?

I must confess that I used VCDS Lite for the first time over the weekend. I've only ever had one CEL and turned out to be a loose gas cap. Well last week I got the small evap leak code 16826/P0442. As my non-VAG specific handheld scanner (actually stated "small evap leak" after scan) was on loan to a friend, I ordered a $9 Amazon cable and went in to have a look. I replaced all the braided vacuum hoses, cleared fault and went for a 20 minute drive. Stopped, restarted, and still no code. So far so good. After that I recalled a post about recoding central locking such that windows could be rolled up/down with key fob, one-touch unlock, automatic locking @ 15mph, etc. That worked like a charm, so that got me thinking (again) about a tranny recode.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ilver

Does "sport coding" render the "S" shifter position useless?
No, not at all...I was just differentiating between the 2 terms. "Sport mode" ("S"on the shifter) should always work the same.

"Sport coding" just alters the shift behavior a little in "D"...slightly more likely to downshift, slightly higher rpm before shift (depending on throttle input), etc...not a huge difference, but a little more lively.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the stock coding on my S8.

It seems pretty easy to do. "S8ilver" Post what code you show for your stock coding and what new code you put in.

Would love to know if it makes any difference for you in "D".

I have an '01 and dont have the "S" on shifter box.

Let me know what you find! Thanks
Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by '01-S8

It seems pretty easy to do. "S8ilver" Post what code you show for your stock coding and what new code you put in.

I'd recommend coding yours to 01032...if for no other reason, to have total control over 1st gear in tip mode...good fun, when you need it.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by '01-S8

I haven't put a new code in yet, but stock coding is 01102. I can't find any documentation regarding this code for the S8. I had to do a double take, but yes, 01102.

A6/S6:
https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2838345.html

Last edited by S8ilver; 07-25-2013 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I haven't put a new code in yet, but stock coding is 01102. I can't find any documentation regarding this code for the S8. I had to do a double take, but yes, 01102.

A6/S6:
https://forums.audiworld.com/archive...t-2838345.html
That's a new one on me as well. As with many things, D2 S8-specific info can be hard to find.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by silverd2
That's a new one on me as well. As with many things, D2 S8-specific info can be hard to find.
At least everything is in English in the S8! My previous car (E34 Euro-spec M5) was all in German. Owner's manual, OBC, dash display... even the speedo was only in km/h with no sub mph dial.

However, I can now confirm that sport coding for S8 (2002 at least) is 01132. The clunk I had slowing down is virtually gone, and full control of 1st gear in Tip works as advertised. Also, D seems more responsive than before...later shifts when moderately accelerating (doesn't shift quickly and then leave me without power if I feel like gunning it, which is often).

Thanks to everyone for getting me on the right track.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

However, I can now confirm that sport coding for S8 (2002 at least) is 01132. The clunk I had slowing down is virtually gone, and full control of 1st gear in Tip works as advertised. Also, D seems more responsive than before...later shifts when moderately accelerating (doesn't shift quickly and then leave me without power if I feel like gunning it, which is often).

That's an interesting find on the transmission coding. That leaves me to believe it could be a coding issue in the transmission software, that is causing D2 transmissions to possible fail prematurely and at a minimum, the reason for the hard shifts most of us seem to have periodically.

This transmission coding problem seems to be an issues with other Audi model owners that are posting on AudiWorld, as well.

S8ilver - What device did you use to recode your transmission?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 2001 S8
S8ilver - What device did you use to recode your transmission?
This cable:
OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409 : Amazon.com : Automotive OBD2 OBD II Diagnostic USB Cable For KKL409.1 VAG-COM 409 : Amazon.com : Automotive

with this software:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds-lite/download/index.html

and this procedure:
http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/main_screen.html

Select Control Module
02-Auto Trans
Coding-07
Entered 01132 where 01102 lived
Clicked "Do it"

Done

Wouldn't it be terrible if the stock coding is what causes premature failures?! I wonder how many of the high mileage D2 transmissions were recoded vs. left on stock settings.

Last edited by S8ilver; 07-25-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for the link.

I'm a PC free family so I'll have to see if my mechanic will update the code number. I'm taking her in next Monday for a complete timing belt service so hopefully he'll be able to do the code at that time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: S8 transmission recode - Success! :-)