3.2 #3 Misfires

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 #3 Misfires

I have been working on a 2005 A6 3.2 with intermittant #3 misfires. It usually happens after the car is warmed up and after
revving engine in the higher rpm's. The engine light flashes and stumbles but shutting the engine off and back on will usually reset the problem. The coils have been swapped then replaced. The spark plugs have been swapped then replaced. This car came in with 7 dtc's in the ECM and we've fixed them all except this intermittant misfires. The low pressure fuel pump is new. Any ideas why #3 keeps misfiring?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 3 2 #3 Misfires

Ok, heres my game plan. Please tell me if Im way off on this but I think this could be a good way to go about skewing....

Ohm each injector. Find the average. Thats the mean. From that number I can increase or decrease individual injector skews so that they all match.

Back to the mis-fires...I noticed when I was checking the plugs/cables that the plastic tubing that goes over the spark plug wires to protect them from heat or EMI, I think had moved down to the coil for cylinder #4. The alternator ground runs in parallel to the spark wires and was touching the spark wire for #4 where the plastic tubing was not. I moved the plastic tubing back up so that the ground is touching the plastic and not the wire. Also, when I put plugs 4 & 6 back in, I gave them an extra turn just for good measure. I made certain that the wires were on really good and pushed down on the coils to make sure they were connecting.

Tonight, I ran out to the store and didnt see the misfires. Two at start up on different cylinders, but none on # 4. Once warmed up, nothing. Put in park, nothing. Drive, nothing. Acceleration was a lot smoother. I dont know what it was but it seems like its fixed. Going to keep an eye on it, but for certain, I want to ohm out the injectors anyway.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2007 A4 3.2 that has a misfire problem. When I start the car cold it shakes. Then if I try to drive it, it will hesitate. It is under warranty. It is in the shop for the third time. It required the next level technician from Audi to diagnose the problem. If you know something about misfires I would greatly appreciate some information. I am concerned that I am doomed with this problem.

Thanks

aaa123
Old 08-04-2011, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2007 A4 3.2 that has a misfire problem. When I start the car cold it shakes. Then if I try to drive it, it will hesitate. It is under warranty. It is in the shop for the third time. It required the next level technician from Audi to diagnose the problem. Audi said that there is a problem with the fuel injector. If you know something about problems with fuel injectors/misfires I would greatly appreciate some information. I am concerned that I am doomed with this problem.

Thanks

aaa123
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Fuel Injector /Misfires 2007 A4 3.2

I have a 2007 A4 3.2 that has a misfire problem. When I start the car cold it shakes. Then if I try to drive it, it will hesitate. It is under warranty. It is in the shop for the third time. It required the next level technician from Audi to diagnose the problem. Audi has said it is a problem with the fuel injector. If you know something about fuel injectors/misfires, I would greatly appreciate some information. I am concerned that I am doomed with this problem.

Thanks

aaa123
Old 08-05-2011, 03:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

most of the time its a carbon built up,what i have done is removed intake
and cked valves,or if u have a good borescope remove spark plugs and ck
all the valves,common problem with the 3.2 engine is carbon builtup,
just do a decarbon,make sure customer uses good high octane gas,
and i hope that helps

DAN B.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro Tech colorado
I have been working on a 2005 A6 3.2 with intermittant #3 misfires. It usually happens after the car is warmed up and after
revving engine in the higher rpm's. The engine light flashes and stumbles but shutting the engine off and back on will usually reset the problem. The coils have been swapped then replaced. The spark plugs have been swapped then replaced. This car came in with 7 dtc's in the ECM and we've fixed them all except this intermittant misfires. The low pressure fuel pump is new. Any ideas why #3 keeps misfiring?
I have the same freaking issue, have you been able to resolve it?
Old 05-12-2022, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Euro Tech colorado
Originally Posted by yepodm
I have the same freaking issue, have you been able to resolve it?
Me too, I have the EXACT same issue. Car runs well but when warm begins to misfire on cylinder 3. I have to stop and start the motor several time to reset the problem. If someone resolved this please tell me
Old 05-16-2023, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i would lean towards a bad ground if its intermittent.....there are two grounds which come out of the harness and tie into the head on the rear, they are brown. start there