A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

2.8 12V, custom turbo project

Old 10-11-2004, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.8 12V, custom turbo project

So i have 5-6 months of winter ahead of me, so me and friends wanted a little project, im gonna store my A4 for the winter and use my truck, The a4 is quattro, but dropped, so not good in snow.

Anyway, the questions.

1) does anyone know if 96 S4 manifolds will bolt on to the 2.8, i would imagine they are pretty similar. If not, i will have access to a machine shop in about 1 month and will be able to machine out some flanges.

2) Does anyone know a chip that would work for this, i see eip tuning has a VR6 chip for 96 jetta 12v turbo kit, and i know the engines are very similar, but dont know if they would work.

Any suggestions on chip, or fuel management would be helpfull.

3)Has anyone every tried this before? What turbos would you recommend, twin or a large single? Obviously the S4 turbos would work.

4) Any suggestions you have would be helpfull, i fully intend to go thru with this project. I plan to have 2 hood scopes, one on left, one on right for intercoolers depending on size.

anyway, cant wait to here your suggestions
thanks
Old 10-11-2004, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok, so you know nothing about your engine...

and want to perform a MAJOR performance mod to it? Maybe you should do some searching in this forum and the 12V forum. I know of 1 or 2 people to ever put a turbo on a 12V. You're going to spend thousands and thousands of dollars. And the VR6 is not like the 12V, they arent even mounted the same.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:32 PM

Default hood scoops, with those you dont need a turbocharger

a turbo 12v has been done before, but not on the AFC, it was done on an AAH 12v.

the AAN in the 96 s4 is an inline 5 turbo not a v6 turbo like the APB or BEL. no inline 5 parts are going to work for the V6.

you would need a custom exhaust manifold
you would need custom plumbing.

engine management starts at $2K plus tuning time on a dyno which runs $140 an hour... figure several hours to get a decent program hashed out and running. No there are no ways around this... again there is NO other way to do this. If you dont like that answer search and find out why it is true... I assure you EIP makes nothing for the Hitachi ecu in your A4.

I once turbocharged my Bichon Frise... it was fawkin awesome!
Old 10-11-2004, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default My unprofessional opinion....

I would guess you can use any built for Audi turbo you want considering its a custom project. I would go with the K04. The exhaust manifold will definitely be a one off piece but the turbo/downpipe/exhaust could all be 1.8T stuff. Im guessing either stand alone fuel management or having a one off development for your 2.8 ECU fuel and air. I really dont know how it all works, as far as boost control and what actually controls it. I know Level 10 does custom programing but my mechanic had mentioned a guy that develops custom programs for audis. Next time I talk to him if I remember ill let you know.
Sounds like a huge and costly project. I wouldnt know where to begin, I just read magazines.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:35 PM

Default single K04 is not going to flow enough CFM

and it wont spool up properly on one bank of cylinders... so you would have to add a cross pipe which is more work.

Basically its something that only a highly experienced modder should undertake with lots of $$$ to spare and lots of connections to use to get such a project done.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default autotune kinda gets around many dyno sessions....oh an not to be mean augdog but.....

deff do some research on your car before making assumptions, you mentioned 3 diff engines out of 3 diff cars and asked interchangeability questions about them and they are all NOTHING alike
Old 10-11-2004, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Why not a K04??? Too much heat from the extra liter?

like i said I just read magazines, one day ill mod a car myself...But couldnt you fabricate a common header for all six cylinders to exhaust to a turbo and why not a single K04, is it simply too much for it to handle? Oh, about custom plumbing, now that I think of it no way you could use 1.8 stuff, no way in telling where the turbo would wind up in the engine bay. Hope you can get Jessie James to weld up some pipes baby...seems like alot of work and alot of money to spend for some exclusivity...but I understand.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:46 PM
Elder Member

v6
Old 10-11-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Re: Ok, so you know nothing about your engine...

Ah, but i know plenty about my engine, it's the other 2 that i was wondering about, and now i know. don't be so quick to assume that you are smarter then everyone. It's true i didnt research the other engines yet, i just started, i wanted to get the post out and get ideas.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
JCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Its not just a matter of welding things together and them working.

Space constraints have to be taken into account and engineering challenges must be overcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.8 12V, custom turbo project