Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Headliner Replacement - Nervous

Old 04-13-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headliner Replacement - Nervous

My roof antenna was not picking up satellite data for traffic and had to be replaced. Seems they had to remove the headliner to do this repair. In putting the headliner back, after it was installed, they noticed a crease in the rear. Said they need to order a new headliner and replace. Is this a big deal, replacing the headliner? I get nervous when they take things apart on a new car and put them back together, esp. something like a headliner. Am worried about a bad fit, more creases, uneven gaps, rattles, etc. Anyone have experience with a headliner replacement or know anything on the subject? Thanks all!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Pretty sure the windshield might have to be removed to actually replace the headliner, so I would worry more about that and the issues associated. I might be wrong through.

My last two audis prior to my A6 all had the headliner dropped , 2011 A4 avant several times for pano roof issues and my 2013 S4 for a GPS reception issue similar to yours. Of course it was just dropped for access not replaced, and the avants rear opening provided access not avail in a sedan. Grease fingerprints everywhere on the avant, s4 was the black headliner so didn't notice.

Keep in mind as we'll they have to remove all Thea, b and c pillar interior trims to remove the headliner, that's where most of the reinstall issues occur with broken plastic tabs, etc.

Might just leave the crease, or perhaps try a hairdryer and see if you can smooth it out some.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by josh Prieur
Pretty sure the windshield might have to be removed to actually replace the headliner, so I would worry more about that and the issues associated. I might be wrong through.

My last two audis prior to my A6 all had the headliner dropped , 2011 A4 avant several times for pano roof issues and my 2013 S4 for a GPS reception issue similar to yours. Of course it was just dropped for access not replaced, and the avants rear opening provided access not avail in a sedan. Grease fingerprints everywhere on the avant, s4 was the black headliner so didn't notice.

Keep in mind as we'll they have to remove all Thea, b and c pillar interior trims to remove the headliner, that's where most of the reinstall issues occur with broken plastic tabs, etc.

Might just leave the crease, or perhaps try a hairdryer and see if you can smooth it out some.
you were right. front windshield had to be replaced as well as the handle grips as they are glued on. overall, they did a good job. cannot tell save a few grease marks which i promptly removed.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by goethe6889
you were right. front windshield had to be replaced as well as the handle grips as they are glued on. overall, they did a good job. cannot tell save a few grease marks which i promptly removed.
Glad it turned out allright! Good to know if I am ever in this situation.

How is the satellite traffic working now?
Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well this is going to hamper my headliner project LOL I hope there is another way of removing it without removing the windshield!
Old 05-01-2014, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soslower
well this is going to hamper my headliner project LOL I hope there is another way of removing it without removing the windshield!
You thinking of putting a black headliner in your car?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by soslower
Make the headliner in two pieces and add a decorative panel down the middle to tie them together.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by manishaudi
Glad it turned out allright! Good to know if I am ever in this situation.

How is the satellite traffic working now?
All working well now...seems the antennae is a known issue...
Old 05-01-2014, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ASN21
You thinking of putting a black headliner in your car?
they gave me an A6 TDI as a loaner with a black headliner; did not like it at all...the black color makes the car interior feel suffocating and small as opposed to airy and with contrast. all personal preference though, so is relative.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goethe6889
they gave me an A6 TDI as a loaner with a black headliner; did not like it at all...the black color makes the car interior feel suffocating and small as opposed to airy and with contrast. all personal preference though, so is relative.
Planning on Alcantara? I was since the first time I drove an A8 with it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headliner Replacement - Nervous