A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Squeaky suspension - Audi A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaky suspension - Audi A4

Hi - my A4 developed a squeak in the rear suspension a couple weeks ago. Every time I went over a bump, it was squeaking quite noticeably. Very annoying.

I took it to the dealer to have a look and they diagnosed the problem as the bump stops and mounts. Parts were ordered as they didn't have them in stock, but the estimate for the total repair was $657.

After I picked up the car from the garage, it has completely stopped squeaking.

So now I'm wondering if I still need the repair. Obviously, I'll ask the service dept. the same question - but is it possible they just lubricated the bump stops and mounts (not sure what those are). If so, I'm wondering if the resolution is likely to be temporary or if I should save myself $657 and skip the repair.

Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2014, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an '09 A4 that had continual rear suspension problems - fortunately it was a CPO so everything was covered because the problems were never resolved satisfactorily. The rear suspension in the '09's is a huge black mark on the model, because once you have a problem, it is likely the problems will multiply. I had two new bump/stops (they are on top of the shocks), two new shocks, and various other parts and the car still did not ride as it did when new. At one point, they found welds loose between the trunk and the wheel wells which were making noise going over bumps.

I'm sharing this with you so that you don't start burning money on the problem. My final solution was trading in the car, which was the best thing I ever did.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shs92645
I had an '09 A4 that had continual rear suspension problems - fortunately it was a CPO so everything was covered because the problems were never resolved satisfactorily. The rear suspension in the '09's is a huge black mark on the model, because once you have a problem, it is likely the problems will multiply. I had two new bump/stops (they are on top of the shocks), two new shocks, and various other parts and the car still did not ride as it did when new. At one point, they found welds loose between the trunk and the wheel wells which were making noise going over bumps.

I'm sharing this with you so that you don't start burning money on the problem. My final solution was trading in the car, which was the best thing I ever did.
Thanks. That may be great advice - although to date I haven't had any problems with the A4 except the squeaking which is now gone. I do have a couple years of extended warranty left, so should cover the big powertrain repairs - but obviously not suspension related issues.

Honestly, I'm hoping I can wait until the next version of the A4 is available - B9..? - before I trade this one in.