Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Too much noise from the road enters cabin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The European Union has begun systematically testing tires sold in the EU and one of the tests is noise.

I can't find a site that shows all the results, but if you find European tire sellers, they show the tire label information.

The lowest decibel reading I found was the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx GT at 67 db.
Second quietest was Goodyear Eagle LS2 at 68db.
The noisiest tires were 73db and included the Pirelli Zero Nero GT. So the O.E. P Zeros on my S6 are probably among the loudest tires in existence in that 19 inch size.

I was surprised the range was so narrow, although I think I read awhile back that 6db-10db more was a doubling in perceived noise.

Also surprising was the Michelin Pilot Sport 2 at 70db and the Pilot Super Sport at 71.

I also spoke to a noise reduction expert that is a seller of mass loaded vinyl. He said you have to have it everywhere for it to be effective and a 10% gap causes a 50% reduction in effectiveness. I had been hoping that just putting it under all the floor mats would help, but no. As he said, "physics is physics".
Old 04-12-2014, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, it's a logarithmic difference with every increase in 3db doubling the sound pressure level (or -3db halving it). So, per the results you mentioned, the Pirellis at 73 db would be four times that of the Dunlops at 67 db and the Michelins would be double.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Got my Michelin Pilot Super Sports today. Drove on them from Daytona to my Audi dealer in Sanford, where I dropped off for an alignment.

It's like a completely different car. So smooth, comfortable and quiet.

Tested the noise levels at 70 dBA. The Pirellis were 80-90 dB at similar speeds on a smoother stretch of road.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cheaper than more sound deadening.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Actually, it's a logarithmic difference with every increase in 3db doubling the sound pressure level (or -3db halving it). So, per the results you mentioned, the Pirellis at 73 db would be four times that of the Dunlops at 67 db and the Michelins would be double.
That is correct, but it's not the whole story. The ear does not perceive increases in sound pressure in a linear way, so a 3 dB increase or decrease is considered the point of just noticeable difference. In other words, changes of less than 3 dB are generally not perceived as significant (or perceived at all). A 10 dB increase is usually perceived as twice as loud, btw.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
That is correct, but it's not the whole story. The ear does not perceive increases in sound pressure in a linear way, so a 3 dB increase or decrease is considered the point of just noticeable difference. In other words, changes of less than 3 dB are generally not perceived as significant (or perceived at all). A 10 dB increase is usually perceived as twice as loud, btw.
True, unless you are driving on Pirelli P-Zeros in which case the "garbage truck noise scale" would be used to measure the perceived sound volume.
Old 05-09-2014, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had a tire blow on me recently so just decided to replace all 4 since the P-Zero's only had a couple thousand miles of tread left on them. I went with the 255/35/20 Pilot Sport A/S 3s, and unfortunately not too happy with them. There is still plenty of road noise, almost seems like more especially on the smoother surfaces. I'm also getting some swerving at higher speeds I never had before and the ride seems too be less forgiving regarding small bumps on the road.

Anybody else disappointed with the A/S 3s?
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry you are disappointed with your new A/S-3. I had the same wheel/tire combination as you had and went to the Michelin A/S-3 and are very happy with them. They're quieter (on the same road surface) than the P-Zeros were and ride very smooth. They also handle great. Check your tire pressure, is all I can suggest.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dicktahoe
I'm sorry you are disappointed with your new A/S-3. I had the same wheel/tire combination as you had and went to the Michelin A/S-3 and are very happy with them. They're quieter (on the same road surface) than the P-Zeros were and ride very smooth. They also handle great. Check your tire pressure, is all I can suggest.
Would you happen to know what your tire pressures are currently set at?
Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glacier6
Would you happen to know what your tire pressures are currently set at?
Check your manual for recommended normal PSI (driver and one passenger) for your individual tire/wheel size. The PSIs shown on the door jamb label are for max loads only and if you've set the tires to these, the ride will be more harsh.

Quick Reply: Too much noise from the road enters cabin?